LegacyGT.com

Shared suspension w/ GT

Starting to look into replacing the struts on my wifes '06 2.5i wagon. I'm looking to replace them with Monroe Sensa-Trac struts (cheaper than OEM), however their website doesn't distinguish between 2.5i and GT. Do both cars use the same suspension setup (springs and struts)?

Here's the Subaru P/N for the front and rear struts:

Legacy 2005-2007

Struts (Front)

20310AG00A Fitment: 2.5i Sedan or Wagon, Right Side

20310AG01A Fitment: 2.5i Sedan or Wagon, Left Side

20310AG02A Fitment: GT Sedan or Wagon, Right Side

20310AG03A Fitment: GT Sedan or Wagon, Left Side

Struts (Rear)

20365AG00A Fitment: Legacy 2.5i models (Left or Right)

20365AG02A Fitment: Legacy GT only (Left or Right)

Springs (Front)

20330AG02A Fitment: Legacys - all

Springs (Rear)

20380AG01A Fitment: Legacys - all

HTH,

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Subietonic, just out of curiosity, what's the difference between teh 2.5i struts and the GT struts?

Are there any other major suspension differences?

Valving and possibly dampening/rebound rates for the most part at the front. As you can see, the rears use the same stuts (coil-over shocks actually).

Other than that, the rear sway bar on the 2.5i is smaller than the GT (sedan or wagon) and the GT has a limited slip rear diff which does improve handling IME.

SBT

Valving and possibly dampening/rebound rates for the most part at the front. As you can see, the rears use the same stuts (coil-over shocks actually).

That does not jive with your post above...

Here's the Subaru P/N for the front and rear struts:

Struts (Rear)

20365AG00A Fitment: Legacy 2.5i models (Left or Right)

20365AG02A Fitment: Legacy GT only (Left or Right)

Can you clarify?

Suspension is the same, differences are internal to stock strut/shocks and size of the sway bars.

Everything that fits GT fits 2.5i, except front sway bars that have clearance problems due to different exhaust manifold.

05 2.5i sway bar was thicker than 06+ 2.5i, btw.

The whole reason I started this thread is that I noticed the driver side wheel gap is smaller than the passenger side, both front and rear. Front is about 1/2" difference while rear is 1/4". I initially thought something was wrong with the springs or struts, but after doing some searching on here, it looks like this is a normal occurrence on all Legacies. Guess I don't need to worry about it, but the car is noticably leaning, which is slightly annoying.

Can you clarify?

Thank you. Poorly worded on my part. What I meant to say was that they use the same struts side-to-side, not different P/Ns for each side, like the fronts. I've edited my comments in the previous post

Hope that clarifies.

SBT

Suspension is the same, differences are internal to stock strut/shocks and size of the sway bars.

Everything that fits GT fits 2.5i, except front sway bars that have clearance problems due to different exhaust manifold.

05 2.5i sway bar was thicker than 06+ 2.5i, btw.

So what you're saying is that when looking for suspension parts, whether shocks, springs, or coilovers, there is no difference between the LGT and the 2.5i either in wagon form or sedan form? The only difference is the sway bars, mainly in front to clear the turbo and downpipe on the GT.

So what you're saying is that when looking for suspension parts, whether shocks, springs, or coilovers, there is no difference between the LGT and the 2.5i either in wagon form or sedan form? The only difference is the sway bars, mainly in front to clear the turbo and downpipe on the GT.

Actually, it is the 2.5i that has the clearance problems. All of the front bars fit the GT and SpecB, but only the RalliTEK front bars (that I know of) fit the 2.5i.

Otherwise, all suspension parts are interchangable from GT to 2.5i.

• 6 years later...

The OEM part numbers are confusing. I just ordered LGT OEM F/R coil springs from my local dealership. These will be mounted to the Fred Bean Bistein LGT Conv. Kit that I just ordered for my 2006 2.5i Limited Wagon. (I went OEM for springs because I want a stock ride quality).

From what I understood, the LGT spring is different from any other Legacy coil since it's made to fit with the Bilstein strut-top mount. Is this not true? What I'm reading here suggests otherwise, it seems.

I also read on here somewhere that there is a manual tranny specific front coil, and an auto-tranny specific coil. Is this true?

I ordered the springs over the phone with the parts counter but now I'm getting paranoid that these things arent correct.

Any feedback would be helpful.

The OEM part numbers are confusing. I just ordered LGT OEM F/R coil springs from my local dealership. These will be mounted to the Fred Bean Bistein LGT Conv. Kit that I just ordered for my 2006 2.5i Limited Wagon. (I went OEM for springs because I want a stock ride quality).

From what I understood, the LGT spring is different from any other Legacy coil since it's made to fit with the Bilstein strut-top mount. Is this not true? What I'm reading here suggests otherwise, it seems.

I also read on here somewhere that there is a manual tranny specific front coil, and an auto-tranny specific coil. Is this true?

I ordered the springs over the phone with the parts counter but now I'm getting paranoid that these things arent correct.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Bilstein/Spec.B and 3.0R Limited Legacy suspension are the oddballs as they dont share all their parts with other trims but they do fit on all the other trims.

You basically bought OEM Legacy Spec.B suspension, which is a good choice :) Note that you may want rear shock spacers as the Bilsteins sit slightly higher in the front. As far as springs they vary slight based on trim as the 2.5i Legacy is lighter up front than the 3.0R.

If the part number you gave was for a 06-09 Legacy Spec.B you're good.

You can't run any LGT front sway bar so dont order one of those but you can run a Tribeca bar if you ever get the urge to flatten out the ride.

Starting to look into replacing the struts on my wifes '06 2.5i wagon. I'm looking to replace them with Monroe Sensa-Trac struts (cheaper than OEM), however their website doesn't distinguish between 2.5i and GT. Do both cars use the same suspension setup (springs and struts)?

I would not cheap out on struts. Go for Konis. they have a lifetime waranty and you will love the way the car handles.

I think the part that was confusing you about the springs is the JDM STI Pink Springs have variants for Legacy GT (auto, man, sedan and wagon), as well as Legacy GTB (auto, man, sedan and wagon).

Going with Spec B struts and springs is certainly okay for a DD. If you want improved handling, and stock-type stuts, the Blistein HD and Eibach (Epic), Pinks, and Swift Sport springs makes a better combination. I would not use the HDs with stock springs at all.

Bilstein/Spec.B and 3.0R Limited Legacy suspension are the oddballs as they dont share all their parts with other trims but they do fit on all the other trims.

You basically bought OEM Legacy Spec.B suspension, which is a good choice :) Note that you may want rear shock spacers as the Bilsteins sit slightly higher in the front. As far as springs they vary slight based on trim as the 2.5i Legacy is lighter up front than the 3.0R.

If the part number you gave was for a 06-09 Legacy Spec.B you're good.

You can't run any LGT front sway bar so dont order one of those but you can run a Tribeca bar if you ever get the urge to flatten out the ride.

Thanks for the info. This is a great website, and I'm grateful to get such useful advice.

The part number for the front springs is 20330AG02A. The rear springs is 20380AG05A (which differs from the number mentioned in this thread. From my OCD research, the "5A" rear is actually fitted for the Wagon specifically whereas the "1A" appears to be for the sedan.

I specifically clarified the need for 2006 LGT Wagon springs upon ordering, and that was verbally confirmed with the parts-counter person (we talked in length about the top-mount compatibility, etc), so I think I'm good...

I understand that there is some opposition of Bilstein/HD combined with OEM springs, but I don't understand why that is. (???) I'm only interested in a better/beefier strut, and a stock ride-quality. I'm confident that the handling will suffice my DD needs. Aftermarket springs sound cool, but I don't want to really go low for a compromised ride quality. Currently, I'm on stock 2.5i struts/springs with 1" lifted spaces, and it rides like crap, hence the change.

As far as spacers go, my car has always had a nice amount of rake to it, from stock. I understand that Spec-B strut-top mount elevates the front a tiny bit, and I've seen some wagons around that seem to have the saggy-rear. I wonder if there was possibly a batch of Legacy wagons that from the factory ended up having rear sedan springs installed (think parts shortage- it does happen) because I've noticed some LGTs that are pretty level or slight rake, and some that seem to droop... Also, I read posts on here complaining about "bouncy" rear-end on wagons, but I've never noticed that on my car, ever...

I've geeked-out on LGT Wagon photos on Google and all that I've seen seem pretty level. It would royally suck to install the new Bilsteins and have a saggy rear- saggy rear-ends are just super lame looking.

All the feedback is appreciated. An explanation on the Bilstein/HD and anti OEM LGT spring would be helpful.

Thanks to all!

Bilstein HDs are 20% stiffer dampening versus the Spec B Bilstein. Given that increase, they really need to be paired with a spring that benefits from and contributes to the overall ride. Think of it as the springs compress, the struts push back. The weaker the spring, e.g., OEM soft vs Swifts stiff, the sooner (harder) the struts push back, so you don't get the balanced compression and rebound cycle that you get when springs and struts are properly paired.

Bilstein HDs are 20% stiffer dampening versus the Spec B Bilstein. Given that increase, they really need to be paired with a spring that benefits from and contributes to the overall ride. Think of it as the springs compress, the struts push back. The weaker the spring, e.g., OEM soft vs Swifts stiff, the sooner (harder) the struts push back, so you don't get the balanced compression and rebound cycle that you get when springs and struts are properly paired.

That makes perfect sense, thanks.

I was debating selling this kit due to overwhelm, but have cooled off. Luckily, my local dealership was willing to return the stock springs I ordered w/o a restock fee :). In turn, I just ordered a set of Swifts (BP6- 05-09 GT Wagon), and I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase. Wasn't really trying to lower it, but WTF... That company sounds spot-on, not the mention that they have a spring SPECIFICALLY designed for the GT Wagon- that alone blows the competition away, IMHO...

I will look to post a thread once installed to share my feedback. I also have a set of 2006 WRX wheels (17x7 5x100 +55) that will compliment the changed look. Should be sweet! Transitioning from KYB with stock springs and lifted spacers on 2001 Outback wheels- it should be a great change!

Oh yeah, sorry for hijacking this thread!

• 1 month later...
Just landed a set of used JDM Legacy (whole) bilsteins with their factory springs. Pairing them with some 3/8th inch saggy but spacers (and extended studs just incase) for my 2008 legacy 2.5i. I heard many good things aside from the slightly higher ride height in front. If i want to bring it down some more, i may look to do some lowering springs on them.

Here is the final result from the Fred Bean conversion kit, said I'd post some pics. Pretty nice looking, even with a bruised fender from a parking lot hit&run:mad:

The ride height is just about level even with the LGT tophats up front. I ended up adding a 1/4" spacer that I had laying around as I kept perceiving the rear as sagging a bit (these are wagon specific springs, too). Note that the photos here are WITHOUT rear spacer... Even still, I'd recommend the 3/8" spacer just to be safe. Also, longer studs are suggested even with the 1/4" spacer- I didnt use longer studs and it's a tight fit...

1.thumb.jpg.daa69ffc84a216bf95ed05a32bfa0dde.jpg

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.7672a739b45ebc1a1865a674a1961001.jpg

Looks really good SnowCap.

FWIW - I changed out to King Springs (iON HDs) at the rear. My Swift Sport Wagon Springs were just a bit too low, even with the 3/8" HPDE spacer. Still rocking the fronts Swifts though. Hard to beat the handling combo, short of COs.

Archived