LegacyGT.com

Sti Master Brake cylinder swap Qs

darkside

pics of what? I didn't take any pics because it is a pretty straight forward process. Just make sure you put the check valve in the correct direction into the hose. Just keep pinching the STi hose until you find the check valve.

I was just wondering if you took any throughout the process. I may have to do this now.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you just reuse the STI hose or do you have to cut out the valve and add it to the legacy gt hose ?

No, because the LGT hose is 4X the length as the STi hose. They enter into the Intake manifold in diferent spots. Your choices would be to get the check valve out of the STi hose and inserting it into the Legacy hose or cutiing a section of the STi hose with the check valve and cutting the legacy hose and using a hose connector to connect the two.

You car is insane, 580WHP!!! Is it your daily driver? If so what kind of mileage you get (considering if you can keep your foot out of it). I need to look up your mods, I bet you are not even on a stock block are you?

I need to start planning and saving what I want to do with my 08 LGT but fear the 5EAT will not last. I would be happy getting to 320-350HP until I got there and said nope still not enough....;) LOL :lol:.

It makes more now;) I will update my other thread after I run it down the track this weekend. E85 and 1.85 bar on the street = HORRIBLE gas mileage. Should be running 2.2 bar this weekend. I dont think there is anything left stock on my motor other than the outer case halves. Yes I daily drive it or at least drive it 75% of the time but I do have another beater that I drive around as well.

It makes more now;) I will update my other thread after I run it down the track this weekend. E85 and 1.85 bar on the street = HORRIBLE gas mileage. Should be running 2.2 bar this weekend. I dont think there is anything left stock on my motor other than the outer case halves. Yes I daily drive it or at least drive it 75% of the time but I do have another beater that I drive around as well.

Get some video's up on youtube of your "fun" days with the car. People see a wagon and are then knocked out of their shoes when they see the car go. Insane amount of power for the street but must be a blast! (How many miles on the engine block with that much power?)

Do you hve the part #of the STi hose? I'm seriously considering doing this now also. Also is the JDM STI booster/MC the same as the USDM STI as far as fitment?

Great thread guys!

Get some video's up on youtube of your "fun" days with the car. People see a wagon and are then knocked out of their shoes when they see the car go. Insane amount of power for the street but must be a blast! (How many miles on the engine block with that much power?)

Do you hve the part #of the STi hose? I'm seriously considering doing this now also. Also is the JDM STI booster/MC the same as the USDM STI as far as fitment?

Great thread guys!

Well if you're going to try it I will as well. We can setup a install party lol

Looks like rain all weekend so I might not be able to get to run this weekend:(

I dont have the part number of the hose on me. I will try and get it this weekend.

No problem. You should youtube it though next track day. Need to see the stealth wagons represent. Every other legacy on there is too slow. ;)

I guess no one knows if the JDM STI booster is the same as far as fitment goes?

(I guess I'll be a guinea pig)

Got my MC and BB from a 2005 STI in the mail yesterday. I'm leery to install until this check valve issue is straightened out. Is is correct that the Legacy GT brake booster vacuum hose doesn't have a check valve b/c it is built into the stock brake booster? I am having trouble finding the STI hose w/ the check valve in it. A part number would be very helpful to a lot of us. Thanks in advance.

Got my MC and BB from a 2005 STI in the mail yesterday. I'm leery to install until this check valve issue is straightened out. Is is correct that the Legacy GT brake booster vacuum hose doesn't have a check valve b/c it is built into the stock brake booster? I am having trouble finding the STI hose w/ the check valve in it. A part number would be very helpful to a lot of us. Thanks in advance.

all you need is the hose that goes from the booster to the intake manifolf from a wrx or sti. they both have the check valve in them. I will get the part number next week

Just finished putting in a 2005 STI Brake booster and master cylinder in my 2006 Legacy GT. First impressions- much less wait time on pedal feel converting to braking, meaning braking action comes on instantly instead of the brief delay. Of note, the STI brake booster is made by Bosch vs the Legacy booster which is made by Tokicko in the US. From what I've read on the Forester forums, the key to making braking better is the booster and the not the master cylinder. I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I'm now running a 1 1/16" MC vs the 15/16" MC I had before. To perform the switch, you need to remove the engine cover, intercooler, and a line that runs along the top of the firewall. You also need to remove a plastic piece that covers the brake pedal and gas pedal. It's a pretty simple transition. You will also need to bleed the brake lines that go into the master cylinder. With a Motive bleeder, it's really quick and painless.

Integroid- I am still waiting on the STI brake booster hose so I can harvest the check valve. Any dangers in driving without the check valve in place?? What part of the stock Legacy brake booster hose did you insert the check valve?? TIA- Jeff.

Integroid- I am still waiting on the STI brake booster hose so I can harvest the check valve. Any dangers in driving without the check valve in place?? What part of the stock Legacy brake booster hose did you insert the check valve?? TIA- Jeff.

I drove my car for about 3 days without the check valve. Just be very careful when you are coming off boost and pressing the brakes. You will not have brakes for a split second after coming off boost. The pedal will also feel a little weird from not having the check valve. I started inserting the valve on the side of the booster and pushed it passed the first right angle on the straight portion of the hose. Make sure you put it in the correct direction because it would be next to impossible to get it out without cutting the hose.

So you bought the STi hose, cut out the check valve, then shoved it into the LGT hose from the booster side?

The stock hose doesn't have a check valve?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

So you bought the STi hose, cut out the check valve, then shoved it into the LGT hose from the booster side?

The stock hose doesn't have a check valve?

Correct and correct. The check valve is built into the booster on the legacy.

Still waiting to see someone try this with a 08+ LGT (also with a 5EAT if it matters).

Someone mentioned inner and outer bleeders, is this referring those of you that have aftermarket brake calipers?

Would love to reduce the poor stopping performance of my LGT but can't quite spend $1-3 grand on Brembo, Wilwood, or others. I drive way too much to run performance pads (are they softer or harder pads I wonder?) that wear out quick and leave tons of dust.

I found out today what happens without a check valve in place after the STI swap. If you go from a boost situation, even minimal boost, to pushing the brake pedal, there is a delay of probably a 1/2 second where there is no brake action at all, not good. If you drive w/o boost, it works normally. Fortunately my STI hose will be coming in tomorrow. You can't safely complete this swap without the STI brake booster vacuum hose.

Well, I've started collecting parts for my brake overhaul. I just got a set of Hawk ceramic pads, and I'll be getting a set of new rotors (blanks). Those will go on first so I can see if they will change the pedal feel and stopping distance any. Once I'm familiar with them, I'll do the STI MC swap. The booster is here, and I just need to order a MC and the check valve.

My biggest issue at the moment is determining if the Legacy brake reservoir will fit onto the STI MC.

I found out today what happens without a check valve in place after the STI swap. If you go from a boost situation, even minimal boost, to pushing the brake pedal, there is a delay of probably a 1/2 second where there is no brake action at all, not good. If you drive w/o boost, it works normally. Fortunately my STI hose will be coming in tomorrow. You can't safely complete this swap without the STI brake booster vacuum hose.

It is much worse making a 3rd gear run at ~25 psi of boost coming up to traffic. I think the passenger needed new drawers:lol:

I wonder what the height of the STi reservoir is compared to stock. If it's lower, it'll better clear an aftermarket TMIC.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard