LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

WRX USA- you definitely dodged a bullet on that tranny, wish I could have said the same :( since this was a complete swap it wasn't a total loss, at least I got axles, shifter assembly, R180 diff etc, but yeah I got taken to the cleaners on the lump. Still wondering about the seller and what he did or didn't know but since he had bought it as a part out car I can't prove anything and I don't feel that starting an online war is going to help anybody at this point. That said, I don't think I'll ever buy big, used parts online again as you just never know. It's pretty easy to suss out the little stuff but the big stuff not so much.

Hey tysparks81, I hear ya, its really disconcerting once you hear stories like mine! I guess the biggest difference here is that I bought this from someone that had already bought the car as a part out. It showed up at his front door on the back of a flatbed truck, (at least this is what I'd been told), so it put him in a position of being somewhat "insulated" from something going bad. If someone tells you its in good working order then that is a false statement if that turns out to not be so. Something that I didn't have the luxury of falling back on in my transaction. Also can say that the guys at Cobb said this is the first 6 speed they had ever seen in such bad shape as they typically are brick shit houses. Problem is, if you run a brick shithouse without any gear oil in it or otherwise abuse it without maintenance then its not a brick shithouse, its a blue plastic porta-potty...

Well looks like the process is getting close. ZF finished my 6 speed and its now on a big rig on its way to Surgeline Cobb Tuning here in Portland. Its a 2014 STI 6MT w/ longer ratio gears, upgraded carbon 4-6 synchros, upgraded steel shift forks for 3-6 and a Group N DCCD rebuild with a Torsen style front LSD. They have Suretrac and Cusco clutch type options but I opted for Torsen mainly for ease of maintenance down the road. Glad to finally put this saga to rest soon as track season starts in 3 weeks.

17176044_1659028617733781_492548280_o.thumb.jpg.6d7f08ba9cbf28ca47ce983a36130d81.jpg

17237158_1660857334217576_319790937_o.thumb.jpg.819b51cba41a2a432491b2ee238a4c5a.jpg

This is an excellent thread. Thanks especially to Hammer Down and Shralp. I have been thinking about this for a while but couldn't decide where to source a 6MT. I got in touch with ZF Designs and ordered one with the same specs. Thanks for the lead!

• 1 month later...

If you use the STI O2 sensor extension harness then you will need the Legacy adapter (which is real short) on the end of it to plug into our factory harness.

If you dont use that you can plug the O2 sensor right in to the legacy short piece that is plugged into the factory harness.

I used the STI extension piece so my O2 sensor plugs into that near the back of the transmission on the bottom under the car. The STI O2 harness then travels up to the dog bone area. Plug your short legacy adapter in to this and then in to your factory wiring harness.

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but where can i find this adapter you speak of to connect the STI O2 harness to the legacy factory harness? I've have been looking and can't find anything, i'm about to just cut and splice the wires unless someone knows where to buy this adapter. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help making a decision between a spec b vs sti transmission. I know all the specs and whatnot but I would like real world driving experiences. My leggy is a jdm car so its going with the twinscroll 1.5 xtr. Car will be built for daily driving and fun, not really for the track. I have heard that the front diffs in the sti tend to have the car understeer during tight corners compared to the open front diff which allows the car to rotate easier.

Putting specs aside, How does a spec b transmission FEEL compared to the 04sti transmission and again compared to the 06+ one. Any easier/more fun to drive?

Go back to page 143 of this thread and read the posts....

How many posts per page do you have on? Perhaps a post number to start reading at might be a better guide for him :)

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Go back to page 143 of this thread and read the posts....

How many posts per page do you have on? Perhaps a post number to start reading at might be a better guide for him :)

To help out, post# 143 is on page 10.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Guess I am not following you. When I go to the top of this page it says page 145

I can then click on page 143 and it takes me right to the page with the recent discussion on the STI 6 speed vs Spec ba291df28316b98930614cbd7a27fcb07.jpg

Edited by Scooby2.5

FWIW, I have 55 pages in this thread currently. This is post #2173

I believe we all have the same post count, if people give the post number it would be much easier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, I have 55 pages in this thread currently. This is post #2173

I believe we all have the same post count, if people give the post number it would be much easier.

Exactly. People run with a different number of posts per page for different reasons. Telling someone to read page 143 is meaningless when some of us do not even have a page 143. All the posts have a number on them. In most cases and especially in a long thread like this it's far better to reference the post number because that is the same for everyone.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

With slow internet providers, it makes sense to have the minimum posts per page, so the page loads that much faster. Fast DL speeds, increase post per page to the maximum and carry-on. Those with slower DL speeds, not so much.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...
I think that the 05 4eat driveshaft that I've had on my car is on its way out. I bought a replacement 08 4eat driveshaft, took it to a reputable transmission shop to have them swapped, and they say that the mount is different. Unfortunately I havent had time to take a look myself, but does anyone know if there are differences amongst 05-09 driveshafts? Edited by PutnamCO

• Moderators
I think that the 05 4eat driveshaft that I've had on my car is on its way out. I bought a replacement 08 4eat driveshaft, took it to a reputable transmission shop to have them swapped, and they say that the mount is different. Unfortunately I havent had time to take a look myself, but does anyone know if there are differences amongst 05-09 driveshafts?

Not that I'm aware of, unless you had a Legacy shaft and picked up an OBK shaft this time. The carrier bearing has some extra height to it for the OBKs, but you can run either on either car really.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Not that I'm aware of, unless you had a Legacy shaft and picked up an OBK shaft this time. The carrier bearing has some extra height to it for the OBKs, but you can run either on either car really.

Gotcha, thanks. It's from a Legacy so it should work. I may have time to take a look next week. The vibration is minor and only when I floor it, so I should have some time.

Dang if this guy feels that the DCCD is helping him to go faster, (and it is) he might want to start by working on hitting his apexes right thereby giving him more exit speed and hey, you rented the whole track holmes, use all of it :) smooth is fast...