LegacyGT.com

New Car purchase, Legacy versus other Subarus

NJRick1

Current 2007 Legacy Outback driver here. Nothing wrong with my car but looking for something new, preferably a little more fin and less family oriented, in the next year. I know I want to stick with Subaru, my family drives accords which are okay, but AWD>FWD and Subaru is hard to beat for awd, affordability, and practicality. In addition, luxury and tech features aren’t important to me. I have a 15 minute commute to work on somewhat hilly and windy roads so I want something that’s at least more fun than my current outback. I’ve narrowed it down to a 2015 legacy premium, a 2015 wrx base, and a 2014 forester xt.

The forester xt will have speed, but will not handle as well as the other cars. However, it will have great visibility, and higher ground clearance which may come in handy if there is ever really heavy snow or if there is any flooding but I doubt I’ll off-road with it. The extra cargo space is not super important but will be useful from time to time for the occasional camping trip, moving small furniture, and I won’t need a bike rack.

The legacy is definitely the most economical with the best fuel economy and the lowest price. In addition, the car will be comfortable, have decent cargo space, and better handling than the forester. My only real concern is that it will be too slow and too boring

The wrx will be the most fun; it will also be the most expensive and have the least amount of cargo space. I’m also a little concerned the suspension will be too rough and get old after a while. In addition, I’m in experienced with manuals and there is a lot of traffic and hills in my area.

I know this is a personal decision and they are three very different cars, but any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! :spin:

Are you leaning towards stick or auto? Turbo or non-turbo? What are your thoughts on modding/upgrades?

I'm partial to turbo'd engines for the extra power and fun factor, so that leaves the 2015 WRX and Forester XT. The '15 WRX is actually pretty big (I feel like it's larger than my 4th gen LGT), but without the hatchback version available, a Forester XT will have more overall cargo capacity and general utility. Between the 2, I would take the Forester XT and do some suspension mods - springs, struts, sway bars. Those upgrades alone will help keep it planted, balanced, and fun in the twisties. However, it's only available in Auto (if that's a consideration for you).

12yrs driving FWD honda, scion, acura. I sworn to my self to never buy the next FWD or the stupid crap 4WD that all the honda guys mistaken call it a AWD.

I live in the south next to Texas where it get super hot and super wet.

Never run into snow in my life but wet & turning or hydro over puddles sucks, we get really heavy rain over here easy 1-2in" rain within 5mins.

There are times where we were going 60mph on the HWY slowing down to 5mph or pull over due to how heavy the rain is here, you can't see anything out the windshield. With inches of water on the road and i'm trying to follow my family member AWD is tough.

I'm a mature driver, I don't cross lanes like a maniac, usually when I'm a lead on a road trip.

I always set it at cruise and stay in one lane, so the Sym AWD/SH-AWD is a big safety to have if it's a vehicle that's mainly to haul your family members.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

As someone who drives a 2010 Legacy 2.5i, if you are not looking to go fast or pretend you are a racecar drive, get it. the thing about the legacy is that while there may not be much power mods, there will be suspension mods to make it handle and feel better.

The CVT feels weird at first,but its a good weird, you'll learn to love it. As for ground clearance, I live in CT and have never run into an issue getting over anything reasonable (AKA not a down tree etc)

My vote is on legacy, unless your looking for something fun, then get the WRX (and if you really cant do manual, there is a CVT option however expect to get crap for it by some more hardcore guys)

i'm2cool, I've driven a 2012 legacy and loved the handling but felt it was underpowered. Does the 2015 feel any different?

tubroboost, suspension mods seem like a good compromise. Can an XT with mods handle anywhere close to a legacy?

i'm2cool, I've driven a 2012 legacy and loved the handling but felt it was underpowered. Does the 2015 feel any different?

tubroboost, suspension mods seem like a good compromise. Can an XT with mods handle anywhere close to a legacy?

A quick comparison between the 2015 Legacy and the 2015 Forester show that the Forester is smaller than the Legacy in pretty much every physical aspect except for height, ground clearance, and weight (depending on trim).

Wheelbase: 103.9" vs. 108.3"

Overall length: 180.9" vs. 188.8"

Width (mirrors out): 80.5" vs. 81.9"

Height (with roof rails; N/A on Legacy): 68.2" vs. 59.0"

Ground clearance: 8.7" vs. 5.9" (they specified "at the exhaust" for the Legacy)

Curb Weight: 3624lb (2.0XT Premium) vs. 3651lb (2.0XT Touring) vs. 3485-3521 (Legacy 2.5i Limited) vs. 3662-3697 (3.6R Limited)

I think, with the right suspension mods (aftermarket springs, sway bars, struts, endlinks), the XT will certainly out-handle a 2015 Legacy while still being more fun and practical.

If you get the Legacy and want fun on the twsties, then you will need to invest in aftermarket swaybars, wider tires/new wheels, and improved shocks/springs or coilovers. Have not driven a 2015 Legacy, so this is just a guess based on the 5th gen.

Out of the box, the WRX does this. You will want to look into better pads. That's it. The 2015 WRX is much more ride compliant than the previous generations.

The Forester will more than likely bump you around much more.

Seems "unfair" to put a 2.5i against the turbos. A better consideration would be the Legacy 3.6R.

minuccims,

The handling on the last legacy I drove was just fine for me, it was just the slow acceleration that I didn't like. I'd prefer to buy a forester xt over the wrx because of the extra cargo, visibility, all seasons, and automatic transmission, I'm just curious to see if I will handle anywhere close to the legacy. The 3.6r seems like a very outdated engine and the reviews I've read lead me to believe it isn't worth it.

The 2015 WRX is about the same size as the 4th Gen Legacy. I just looked at a couple of 2015 Legacy's and they are quite nice but even bigger than the 5th Gen Legacy. Not sure how they drive though.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

I'm in the same boat but I think I'm gonna call my dealer to see what he's gonna charge me for a WRX Limited. My option is a Legacy 3.6R Limited but I think I feel the new legacy is looking like an "old man car." I don't think I can give up the turbo yet. in terms of cargo I don't care cause I have an SUV too, this is my commuter car so I wanna have some fun.

TYNY

I hear ya on the old man vibe. I'm not a family man and don't need a family car, but if the xt is roughly the same price as the wrx, I figure I might as well get it for the extra utility, it just depends of course how big a difference the fun factor is.

Agreed. But corollary to Legacy's old man vibe. WRX has an arrested development frivolity. Do you want to be THAT guy, with the hood scoop and wings (yes albeit on a STI)?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, ask any female.

I would drive all 3, and see which one is best! I have a 2014 WRX, and you couldn't take it away from me without having to kill me first. So my recommendation would be to drive the '15 WRX last. That way you don't ruin your test drive of the other two. It'll be the most fun to drive by far. But has the least storage space. I suppose you could throw a roof rack on the WRX, and you'd be able to take your bike almost anywhere the other two could take you!

You want this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEec-zfxiQQ

Archived