LegacyGT.com

need help 05 LGT with 200k on the clock

bossbalita

I'm currently looking for my first Subaru and i would like to hear your thoughts on

this particular 05 LGT.

It has 200k on the clock with recent engine rebuild because the timing belt went out 7k miles ago, so the owner decided to do and upgrade all at once.

here is the list of the parts that have been replaced/upgrade.

VF-52 turbo

Sti pistons

Sti heat treated crankshaft

King Main and Crank bearings

All OEM subaru Gaskets and seals.

Sti 11mm Oil pump

Full gates timing kit with new water pump

block was machined and the heads were checked over completely.

Gimmick Motorsports Inlet tube

Sti catless Up-pipe

CNT Downpipe

Lightweight Flywheel with Exedy stage 1 clutch

The car has a solid great body and it looks like the owner took a good care of it. it also shifts smoothly and the engine sounds great without any weird noise/rattles.

My question is if it has more life left from it and how much would you willing to pay for it?

Is this car local to the Tacoma, WA area? Blue 5EAT wagon, right? That list looks familiar. . .

Car's worth $12k, max.

I would be wary of the "well, x, y, and z went out, so I just replaced the whole thing" story. It's kind of like the "Owned by an elderly couple who took great care of it" line you get from used car salesmen.

It's all bullshit.

That said, that's an OK rebuild list, but, if the block has been done by a machine shop and NOT an OEM block, or put together by a reputable Subaru engine builder, you're more likely to have a broken motor full of fancy internals before the 15k mark.

Remember, the motor and everything else may be new, but the suspension, bushings, and other things still have 200k on them. The motor, while being an important part of the equation, is still only part of the equation.

Is this car local to the Tacoma, WA area? Blue 5EAT wagon, right? That list looks familiar. . .

Car's worth $12k, max.

I would be wary of the "well, x, y, and z went out, so I just replaced the whole thing" story. It's kind of like the "Owned by an elderly couple who took great care of it" line you get from used car salesmen.

It's all bullshit.

That said, that's an OK rebuild list, but, if the block has been done by a machine shop and NOT an OEM block, or put together by a reputable Subaru engine builder, you're more likely to have a broken motor full of fancy internals before the 15k mark.

Remember, the motor and everything else may be new, but the suspension, bushings, and other things still have 200k on them. The motor, while being an important part of the equation, is still only part of the equation.

This. I wouldn't ever advise someone that buying a used performance vehicle with 200,000 miles on it is a good idea, rebuild or otherwise. The list of other parts that will need replacing due to natural aging like mentioned above also include things like axles+boots, struts+springs, the radiator, transmission components (even more so since we have no idea how the thing was driven in its lifespan)...I could go on.

You'd be much, much better off getting a less used, more recent model year example, especially if this is a car you plan to drive daily. At this point, that 2005 isn't just 200,000 miles old, it's also about 10 years old (2005 model year=likely built in late 2004/early 2005).

Anything used is going to have problems eventually, what can you live with replacing is the real question. I bought my wife's Tribeca with 82k on the clock fully knowing it may need a lot of suspension parts and possibly the 5eat replaced in it's time with us. Honestly so far at 4 years and 41k miles of ownership I have hardly touched it aside from routine maintenance and tires. But I still have a 7 year old car with 124k miles on it. But it runs great and my wife loves it.

So how do you feel about this car after driving it and feeling it out? Having an objective eye give a thorough look over would be a wise investment at this point, a local subaru dealer or mechanic should be able to take care of that.

Archived