LegacyGT.com

Well.. Finally pulled the engine today.

Well pulled the engine today. Finished the aristo swap on the is300 and push the legacy in the garage.

2 hours later engine was out. Threw it on the engine stand and ran out to do dome errands. Drop a spare set of heads off to be machined while I was out.

Came home pulled the intake assembly off got the one head off and started working on the other side. 1 intake cam bolt will not come off. Guess in drilling it out.

Pulled the pan no metal Suprisingly. Alot of water tho. Cylinders were filled.

Turns out the rod bearing are shot. Way too much play.

On the plus side it has a brand new ihi turbo. The exhaust housing isn't even brown yet and it's spotless.

Haven't figured out if I wanna put a cheap 400 dollar short block as a bandaid while I build this one or just buy a new short block. Kind of leaning towards the bandaid and building my stock block with new nitrate crank h beams forged pistons and head studs with probably just a vf52 or so.

IMO do the bandaid, and get more then a vf52 (bigger turbo) for that bottom end your going to build.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I decided to build the engine I have out and just making sure I have it done by winter. I have 4 months. I am going break it in over the winter with the new stock turbo and come spring bigger turbo injectors pump and tune.

They say stock 5mt is good for 350ftlbs. If your good with it and don't beat it to much may be 400ftlbs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well nothing good to report. Split the block today. Had a flattened rod bearing 2 spun rod bearings and 1 pissed main bearing. But o well. H beam and forged pistons are getting ordered this week.

Progress pics next.

Decided to do the Band-aid short block so I can drive this car and moved it out of the garage for more room while I am building the engine over Fall-Spring. I want to have it ready for spring to drop in.

What turbo should I go with? Id like to be at <350ftlbs so I don"t kill the trans. Would like it to spool at a decent RPM and Don't Want to drop a TON of money on it. I think I want to got with an upgraded TMIC. Just not fond of the look of the piping of the FMIC.

Plans:

Eagle Rods

JE Pistons 100mm

ARP Head Studs

STI Nitrate Crankshaft

ACL Race main and rod bearings

Stock intake

Cat-less UP and Down Pipe

Gimmick Cat-Back

Need Advice:

Turbo

Injectors

Fuel pump

FMIC<TMIC.

I would rethink the ACLs -- Motor failures recently have been a result of their poor quality.

You should be fine with OEM, or use these.

With a VF52, you won't have to upgrade your fueling to something ridiculous, in fact, you can hang on with stock and still be around 300hp. Whatever you decide to do, you should do a top-feed conversion. There's no such thing as a "good" sidefeed injector.

What did they change? I've used them in 500hp honda builds and never had an issue..

Did they move manufacturing somewhere or just a bad batch? That sucks because I bought them already. I was going to mic the shit out of them as I do on higher hp builds.

Honestly, it's a challenge to find top-feed TGVs. My suggestion is that you buy some pre-made topfeed TGV deletes, like any of the composite ones, and then just buy the fuel rails and injectors of your choice.

Those are what I was thinking of, and, had I been thinking more clearly, I would have bought them.

Heck, if my motor wasn't going in next week, I'd start fishing for top-feed fuel rails and injectors and spring for the Zero Lifts, too.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the bandaid block btw. I haven't started the built one yet that's winter project if I'm not moving then. If I'm moving it won't be until spring when the new shops set up..

Ok I'll look into that.

Anyone using the zerolift composite tgv deletes fpr top feeds.

I'm using a set, albeit on a Baja which uses a totally different style of intake (STi/Forester XT style, cast aluminum).

They fit with some difficulty: specifically I had to mill the mounting holes in the intake into slots to get them to bolt on. Zerolift does mention this in their literature (included). Pretty sure they're a direct bolt-on for the plastic GT/XT intakes tho.

They fit well otherwise. Only other beef I had was losing the injector protectors as there was no place to mount them. Guess I'll try not to crash the engine into the frame rails whilst running at full tilt.

I have a set of 08 LGT top feed fuel rails if you want to do a conversion. . . and some 08 LGT top feed injectors, TGV's (if you wanted to do a drill & fill) and probably most of what you'll need for the swap, sans plugs for the injectors (they're different).

They say stock 5mt is good for 350ftlbs. If your good with it and don't beat it to much may be 400ftlbs.

I'm way over 350ftlbs and had no problem for 3 years now......note: I granny shift

Archived