LegacyGT.com

Is my fuel pump failing?

Before I drop $300+ on a new fuel pump, I was just curious if my instincts are correct. I have a 2008 Legacy 2.5i w/ 75k miles. It just started in the last month taking a while to start, but would eventually after holding the start for a about 5 seconds. I also am consistently getting a solid CEL and flashing cruise, but cannot pull a code with 2 different machines, and cannot get a reading from the built in reader. I assume the CEL is because I'm running lean? I figured out that if I turn the key to the on position, put my seatbelt on, count to 3, it would start just fine. Recently, it's starting to chug along when idling or stopping at stop signs, etc and getting worse.

Leading up to this, I changed the sparks and wires, got a new battery, and put in a can of sea foam in the tank. My guess is that i've got either a fuel filter or pump issue. Anyone have any ideas? I've read conflicting stories on if a fuel pump should just die and the car won't work, or if it will slowly go and cause the issues at hand.

Thanks!!!

You can test fuel pressure.

You can swap out injectors.

You can get code read.

You can re-set ECU.

I've had little measurable success with sea foam, but I did notice on an Acura the car didn't run as nicely with it in the tank.

You can test fuel pressure.

You can swap out injectors.

You can get code read.

You can re-set ECU.

I've had little measurable success with sea foam, but I did notice on an Acura the car didn't run as nicely with it in the tank.

How would I test fuel pressure? I'm a noob at this. I couldn't an autozone or advance to pull up the code, and I tried doing the ECU reset by unhooking the battery for a while and draining all electric by turning on headlights, etc...

You put a gauge on the fuel system and start the car. Sometimes when a fuel pump is failing it only happens after it gets hot and is driven. So it will make reasonable pressure until pushed. Suspect a shop should check this for you.

I think the ecu needs 30-60 without power to reset.

If there is a code, the subi dealer can reach it. Not sure why you're unable to read a stored code.

Archived