LegacyGT.com

Mysterious burning smell (oil) '05 LGT

Ok. My car has been at the shop for 2 days now. It's not the valve cover gaskets, head gasket, torn cv boot, clogged pcv valve, or oil return line to turbo.

I first noticed it a few weeks ago after driving then coming to a stop. The burning smell resonates through the vents but if I put on re-circ mode, the smell is gone. It seemed to come from the passenger side.

It's also not the cabin air filter.

Before the shop closed today, I was told the intercooler was off and they were still trying to pinpoint where the leak was coming from.

I don't have any spots on my driveway and my car runs strong (stage 2), 73K miles.

I'm stumped and I think the shop is to. Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get an oil smell from my 09 too. It seems to happen most after a little aggressive driving. I haven't found the culprit yet. It must be a very minimal leak somewhere as I keep checking and very seldom have to add any oil.

I'll be interested to know where yours is leaking when you find out.

P.S. I don't smell it until I get out of the car.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Power steering pump/lines?

Our 05 lgt has a leaking pump. Thought it was the valve cover gaskets, but couple of times I did see oil it was red.

On mine it seeps from behind the pump and heads toward the back of the block where it drips right onto the exhaust manifold on the passenger side.

Well, this isn't an oil smell but some people can confuse them: 2 of the most common leaks and smells are caused by:

1. Broken CV boot on passenger axle (causes grease to smear on cat)

2. Some people have leaking gas lines (especially during cold weather)

Verdict: oil found in intercooler and the shop recommended I take my car to dealership. Hope the turbo isn't dying. Could it be just a turbo seal leaking?

It most likely is going to blow if its leaking. Same thing happened to me. I took my car to the stealership for the 105k service and timing belt job and the told me i had an oil leak that looked like coming from my turbo. they told me they would charge me $250 to tell me what it is. i told them no thanks. i then search on here and asked my mechanic friends what they thought about it. they told me that my turbo was basically on death row waiting to blow. i didnt have money for a new turbo so a kept running it and 8k miles later, pop goes my turbo!

that, again is just my experience but i hope yours aint nothing like mine, cause if it is be ready to drop at most $2k for a new turbo with instalation.

well mine wasnt blown..... it was just on its way there. I still drove it like i stole it and when 3500 mile road trip to cali, then after 8k it just gave out. if its nothing serious ill atleast give you time to save up...

Update- it wasn't much oil so the tech didn't think it was any sign of turbo issues. Speaking with the tech, he said he cleaned the pcv valve, it had some blockage. Drove 30 minutes home and was bringing outside air in and didn't smell the burning smell. Still going to subaru dealership on wednesday just in case.

• I Donated

that, again is just my experience but i hope yours aint nothing like mine, cause if it is be ready to drop at most $2k for a new turbo with instalation.

The turbo is easy to swap for anyone with even basic mechanical knowledge and basic hand tools.

You can get used OEM turbos for a reasonable price and that will drastically cut your costs. The trick is catching the problem before the Turbo goes

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I had a similar issue....I got lucky...when I removed the oil filter from the banjo bolt the second crush washer slipped out of place. A very small amount of oil was leaking, just enough to send smoke into the cabin when the air was turned on.

Have you checked the oil cooler yet? My oil cooler to block gasket is leaking and I get the exact same smell as you. It only occurs when I come to a stop after driving on the highway. I'm just waiting until my next oil change to replace the gasket.

Have you checked the oil cooler yet? My oil cooler to block gasket is leaking and I get the exact same smell as you. It only occurs when I come to a stop after driving on the highway. I'm just waiting until my next oil change to replace the gasket.

Interesting...that's a possibility. Anyone know anything about this oil cooler to block gasket? First I heard of it.

Archived