LegacyGT.com

Anyone have to replace a windshield?

icy

Thanks to recent weather and Colorado's wonderful gravel on the roads I now have a crack in my windshield right in my line of sight.

Also, Thanks to my even more wonderful wiper heaters I'm guessing a replacement will not be cheap.

Since my insurance has been dropping like a rock (and my dumb ass opted out of expensive glass coverage) I am hesitant to make a claim.

Anyone have to replace one of these? Please share your experience.

Mine was replaced by the dealer about 12 months ago because the sealant wasn't around the perimeter and there was a wind noise. Only issue was the re-installation of the outside trim that they couldn't get on straight. Apparently the windshield trim isn't intended to be re-used.

This is my take on it, I have several friends who have owned outbacks or legacys with heated windshields. All of them had to replace their windshields multiple times, one of my friends decided after replacing 2 heated windshields on his outback he was going to try a non heated one. He has never had an issue with cracking since. I need a new windshield and am not going to replace it with a heated one, I have a friend who does glass work and said he could replace my windshield with a non-heated windshield for 125$ if you are interested in me talking to him, let me know, maybe we could get both of our windshields replaced on the same day.

~$300 for heated windshield. IIRC, the non-heated one wasn't any cheaper, but if it could withstand the rocks better it might be the way to go. Anyway, got my replaced last year, Elite has a discount for ZCCC members and I got my done for $185.

A friend of mine uses his cracked winshield as a great reason to be speeding if ever pulled over the POPO

He says that he was trying to catch up to the truck that just flung a rock into his winshield

He said he has used this excuse more than once with 100% sucess

The police just tell him to file a claim with his insurance company and to slow down...

Mine cracked Thursday morning on the way to work; waiting at a stoplight, heard what sounded like a drop of water hit the windshield, and watched helplessly as a crack arced its way across the bottom. Must have picked up a chip I didn't notice in the last few days - that makes me 0 for 3 in the windshield department since I moved out here seven years ago (but my first in a Subaru). Before that, not a single, chip, star, or crack in 15 years of driving. Thanks a lot, Colorado. :mad:

Luckily, it isn't in my line of sight, so I'm waiting as long as possible - if ever - to replace it.

This is my take on it, I have several friends who have owned outbacks or legacys with heated windshields. All of them had to replace their windshields multiple times, one of my friends decided after replacing 2 heated windshields on his outback he was going to try a non heated one. He has never had an issue with cracking since. I need a new windshield and am not going to replace it with a heated one, I have a friend who does glass work and said he could replace my windshield with a non-heated windshield for 125$ if you are interested in me talking to him, let me know, maybe we could get both of our windshields replaced on the same day.

i need one too, I'm in. can he quote for the heated one, so we can compare?

maybe digitator wants in, so make it 4 inquiry's.

I just talked to my buddy, its actually his friend that can hook up the glass. He is going to get quotes on the non-heated and heated windshields for me and will let me know saturday what the prices are. He is out of town currently and if we can get 5 people there might be a slight price break. I will let you guys know.

Just had the winshield replaced about nine months ago and the molding surround started to warp so the glass company replaced it for free but the installer slipped and cut the paint to the metal on the roof and it will be going in Monday for a repair job ($1100US)!!! This will include putting in another windshield (#3 at this point)...

Not happy at all! :mad::mad::mad:

Parker

That sucks mon^^^. The guy who would be doing our glass has done 3 of my buddies windshield's, they have had no problems, no leaks, and no weather stripping problems either. You never know though, elite autoglass was the ones who broke my rear defroster putting in my rear windshield after my accident. Its hard to find a place that does consistent good work.

I just got one installed a few months ago at John Elway Subaru in Golden. I guess they are trying to drum up some business because I got a heated windshield installed by Elite Autoglass for $200. When my wife's coworker told me about this deal, I called BS, until I called them myself and found out it was true.

Rick

I just got one installed a few months ago at John Elway Subaru in Golden. I guess they are trying to drum up some business because I got a heated windshield installed by Elite Autoglass for $200. When my wife's coworker told me about this deal, I called BS, until I called them myself and found out it was true.

Rick

That's an awesome deal. Elite usually uses 3rd party glass but if they are doing it through the dealer maybe they gave them OEM... Probably not likely since the OEM glass is like $350 retail, I can't see the dealer discount it that much.

That's an awesome deal. Elite usually uses 3rd party glass but if they are doing it through the dealer maybe they gave them OEM... Probably not likely since the OEM glass is like $350 retail, I can't see the dealer discount it that much.

Yes it is...especially when Elite quoted me $350 for the same piece of glass!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I talked to my buddy that has the friend who does windshields. My friend has inquired 3 times for me about pricing and has yet to get them and who knows when I will. With that in mind I wouldn't hold my breath on me being able to get cheap windshields as originally planned. Sorry guys.

• 3 weeks later...

mine cracked like crazy after some good old road debris was kicked up from the truck in front of me yesterday!!!

I'm gonna check with super rupair tomorrow and see if they will replace it on the cheap. I have to work in golden tomorrow, but I'm 99% sure you have to let your car sit for a day after the windshield replacement (correct?)

this is my first crack ever, besides my butt, and it has grown to be over 1/2 the windshield since i drove it last night :(

yea, highjacking old thread, but it's the same idea.

brian

• 1 month later...

not to bring back the dead, but this thread is still good!

anyways, had my NEW windshield on for about 2 weeks now, on the way back from work today, definitely took a rock to the face and now it's chipped again!

it's only about 1/32", but it's annoying. anyone ever try to seal the crack themselves? I did some reading on the topic, and it seems you need some pretty high tech tools to get a proper seal, an improper seal will build up dirt and increase the rate of the possibility the small chip will turn into a large crack....

looks like this weekend will be more windshield crap :(

i wanna get a nascar window, and just pull it off every week and replace it lol

brian

Archived