LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy 2004 subaru legacy wagon with H6-3.0

Kevin L

Hi. I am new to the forum. looking at an '04 Subaru Legacy wagon LL Bean with the H6-3.0 motor and auto trans. I am looking for some info on this motor. I know the 4-cylinder, same year, had head gasket problems. The car I am looking at has 75,000 miles on it. Any insight on this motor would be really appreciated. I am new to the Subaru boxer motors and any information would be helpful. thanks in advance, Kevin

It's a better engine than the 4 cylinder for sure. Not super powerful as modern 6 cyl engines are concerned, but it's a good fit for the car IMO. I can't remember if the 04' requires premium gas or not. That may be a factor for you. The gas mileage should be "OK", not great but not bad either. The 6 cyl does not have the head gasket problems like the 4 cyl. Also, the 6 cyl has a timing chain and not a timing belt, so you don't have a major service at 105K miles like the 4 cyl.

I think the H6 engines are just a better for the heavier outback platform in general. The 4 cyl is just too weak IMO.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Hi. I am new to the forum. looking at an '04 Subaru Legacy wagon LL Bean with the H6-3.0 motor and auto trans. I am looking for some info on this motor. I know the 4-cylinder, same year, had head gasket problems. The car I am looking at has 75,000 miles on it. Any insight on this motor would be really appreciated. I am new to the Subaru boxer motors and any information would be helpful. thanks in advance, Kevin

I've owned a 97 Legacy 2.2L, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 08 Legacy GT, and 08 Legacy 3.0R.

In my opinion, the best engine overall is the 3.0 H-6. As said before, it's a nice match for the Outback. Does the '04 H-6 use the 4EAT? That's the biggest downfall since it's not a great transmission. It's still better than 2.5i with the 4EAT. If I was going to buy an Outback, I'd look far and wide to get one with the H-6.

Archived