LegacyGT.com

Idle clutch smell.. cold days (4 degrees)

I had a new clutch put in 2 months ago. I smell the faint smell of clutch after about 10 mins of idling in the morning when I am getting ice off of my windows. I read on another board that the a/c compressor has a clutch and could be making a smell??(since the front defroster is on the a/c compressor would be running)

I don't know how my transmission clutch could be making a smell.

Help? :):spin:

FWIW, its not good to let the car idle for that long to warm up. These engines tend to wear the pistons because extra fuel is pumped into the cylinders during the cold start up.

Your may be just smelling things that are getting hot in the engine area.

Try not letting it warm up so much.

I start my car, scrap the frost/snow if need and then drive easy till it warms up. Even if its -20F.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had a new clutch put in 2 months ago. I smell the faint smell of clutch after about 10 mins of idling in the morning when I am getting ice off of my windows. I read on another board that the a/c compressor has a clutch and could be making a smell??(since the front defroster is on the a/c compressor would be running)

I don't know how my transmission clutch could be making a smell.

Help? :):spin:

It's the smell of your motor burning up slowly from the inside. nothing to worry about just keep warming it up via idle so you can replace it :)

Does this apply to all cars or Subaru in specific? I heard the opposite saying on real cold days you should let it warm up so you don't damage engine parts. I'm so conflicted! haha

All modern cars. Idle has low oil pressure, thick and slow oil. This leads to extra wear. It is made slightly worse because of the H motor design which puts load on half the piston.

Agree all modern cars. All the manufactures recommend driving easy to get the engine up to temp.

Doesn't BMW have a rev limit built in till the engine warms up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

BTW it might be the A/C you're smelling.

It dawns on me that our cars don't seem to care how cold it is outside the AC still comes on with the defroster. I was of the opinion that below x degrees running the AC is damaging to the unit. I always quickly turn mine off.

Try the ac off and see if the smell goes away.

I tried leaving the a/c compressor off and it still has the smell. On another day I also pushed my clutch pedal in during warm up to see if the smell still happens.. it did.. so I'm assuming at this point that it can't be the clutch.

Archived