LegacyGT.com

ticking noise, apparently 'terminal' problem...

Hi, I recently took my car to a dealer to be looked at as the engine is making a 'ticking' noise... They told me that it sounded internal and may need a full engine reco... sh%&$#t was my first thought... anyone able to shine some light on this? Am i being had? Its a 2005 Liberty 3.0r b spec... Cheers

Does not sound good, but I would first inspect camshafts and valves as well as the cam chain and tensioner. If you are lucky it's just the cam chain tensioner that has given up.

Do the sound change when you press the clutch? (Spec B indicates to me that it's the MT gearbox, which is why I ask)

Also check alternator, AC belt tensioners, idler pulleys and crankshaft pulley since they may as well be the problem.

453747.png

I will be getting a second opinion... It doesn't change when I put the clutch in, and I don't think it's to do with the ac belts... I'm not very good with this stuff to be honest... Just really hoping it wasn't what they said it was as it sounded expensive! Dunno if this helps, but it isn't there when I start the car but more comes on after I drive it for a bit... Not liking the sound of it so far :(

I will be getting a second opinion... It doesn't change when I put the clutch in, and I don't think it's to do with the ac belts... I'm not very good with this stuff to be honest... Just really hoping it wasn't what they said it was as it sounded expensive! Dunno if this helps, but it isn't there when I start the car but more comes on after I drive it for a bit... Not liking the sound of it so far :(

Does it make the sound after starting up w/ a warm motor, as opposed to a cold start (eg: car sitting overnight)?

Like others have already said, a little hard to diagnose from the video/audio.

2 of my previous cars had rod knock, the most recent being my '05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero (aka WRX wagon), which I still have and occasionally drive.

Shortly after cold start and for the first mile or so of warm-up driving, no abnormal noise. Once the oil comes up to temp, the sound returns and can be heard inside the cabin at light load and cruising from 3k RPM on up.

My 2 vids below are w/ a 25%/75% mix of 10W40 and 20W50 in the crankcase, engine at normal operating temp. I switched to the heavier oil to try to buy some time w/ thicker oil film on the highway, since I put ~50-60 highway mi/day on my car. In my 1st car, I managed to get an extra 1 yr/22k mi of normal driving out of it before the motor let go on the highway. We'll see how the Saabaru holds up.

Hopefully your car does not have the same problem mine does.

-- driving, in cabin

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhjMkwvO0JM]2005 9-2X Aero - rod knock? - YouTube[/ame]

-- neutral, hood up

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u73XJlmZEB8]05 Saabaru 9-2X Aero, rod knock? - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think it makes the noise from cold, only after driving for a bit and then will make the noise from idle.... I've got 10/40 oil in it if that's of any help... Am I going to cause significant damage if I keep driving it like this?

I don't think it makes the noise from cold, only after driving for a bit and then will make the noise from idle.... I've got 10/40 oil in it if that's of any help... Am I going to cause significant damage if I keep driving it like this?

I presume you hear the noise all the time once warmed up (idle, light/moderate acceleration, cruising)?

W/ both of my prev rod knocking cars, it was audible only under light/moderate acceleration/cruising, and RPM had to be >= 3K RPM. Below 3K RPM, no noise. Under harder acceleration or under engine braking, no noise. W/ my 1st car, when it 'let go' on the highway, the noise became much, much louder/sharper in tone and was way audible at just about any RPM, slightly less so @ idle.

I'd get the car checked out asap either way. Assuming your video clip isn't totally over amplifying the sound, something definitely sounds wrong.

Yeah once its warmed up its there pretty constantly... I just started it up and without going anywhere it idled without the noise at all.. Drove it for 10 mins and the noise was back... sort of goes on and off... but is pretty much as loud as it is in the video...

Looks like I better get onto it asap from what is being said... bloody hope i dont have to get an engine rebuild like they said I might have to.. I'll post and let ya know what is found... Thanks everyone for their help/advice!

Archived