LegacyGT.com

What is the best synthetic oil for our engines (in your opinion)?

What is the best synthetic oil for our engines (in your opinion)?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best synthetic oil for our engines (in your opinion)?

• Castrol Edge Advanced
    • Castrol Edge with Syntech
    • Mobil Super
    • Mobil1
    • Mobil1 Extended Performance
    • Peak
    • Pennzoil
    • Quaker State
    • Royal Purple
    • Valvoline

There's been some recent discussion on which oil to use for maximum length of time between oil changes, which lead to some discussion about the virtues of oils like Mobil 1 or Royal Purple.

This poll isn't to find which is best for prolonging time between oil changes, but which oil is the best overall. Please only vote for oils you have used in your LGT.

:icon_cool

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Subscribed. I would like to know this too.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Check into Rotella T6 (5w-40) it has been regarded by many here and on nasioc to be one of the best oil for our engines. But, without an overly detailed analysis of driving habits, environment, fuel, mods, state of engine wear, etc there is no way to say what oil is absolutely the best and honestly there may not be a definitive best for even those conditions.

eightballerjr, you should get a

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CPnI5Jbt5asCFSIhtAodzjaMJg

and learn to have a oil analyses done by Blackstone Labs.

I'm doing that with my 09.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

eightballerjr, you should get a

http://www.qwikvalve.com/?gclid=CPnI5Jbt5asCFSIhtAodzjaMJg

and learn to have a oil analyses done by Blackstone Labs.

I'm doing that with my 09.

I will def get the fumoto valve. I may start doing some UOAs too. I've been thinking about both here recently. Good recommendation thanks!

Glad I could be of some help.

As you hang around here more, you'll come to know us troll's as we're fondly called...among other things. LOL

I really should take a sample from my 05 and send it in to the Lab. But I have other places for that $25.00 + postage. I'm just too cheap.

The only problem with that is they want to know how oil you've added since it was changed, I add oil all the time and don't keep a real go track of it. The sucker runs pretty good though.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

To answer a few questions, the reason I chose only synthetic was to explore that type of oil only. I think most people who are particular about their engine oils probably prefer synthetic (not all, but most). It's also the type I've preferred to use in the past with other vehicles that I cared about. Furthermore, there was a related thread in which people were either praising or criticizing certain types of synthetic oil (such as Mobil1) so I wanted to see what people preferred.

If you prefer non-synthetic, by all means post your opinions here.

Sorry for missing Amsoil :)

I use whatever I can find from Jiffy Lube after they drain it out of the cars. I think my car likes the mixture of all the oils together

I voted for Mobile 1 because when I had my WRX I spun a bearing so I knew it was the best oil

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

I use whatever I can find from Jiffy Lube after they drain it out of the cars. I think my car likes the mixture of all the oils together

I guess my 05 is in the same type of boat, it has had a bunch of different oils in it. All of them dino type oil.

I just turned 145,000 miles on the drive to work today. I wonder how much better the engine would run if I had used the best synthetic in it all these years.

It currently has some Castrol GTX 5w-30, 10w-30 and some Lucas high mileage treatment in it.

The car is pretty quick when I drop it into 4th on the highway a step into the throttle. It will coast for a long way when you start coasting above 105mph.

Archived