LegacyGT.com

Center console snap crackle pop

Ken S

Anyone else notice that with the weather getting cooler, the center console makes ticking/popping sounds when going over bumps? I'm assuming that the plastic parts have more tolerance due to thermal contraction and are rubbing against each other. Once the interior cabin temperature gets warm enough the noise goes away as the tolerances tighten. Anyone have a good fix? Ken

Hey Ken I'm having the same problem on rough roads, although mine started after my dealer adjusted the center console panel. It seems to be from the 2 pieces of trim on the side, because when I put my finger on them the noise stops. It's quite annoying, but I can't seem to replicate it when I'm at the dealer. (of course) It's been a little colder up here in Seattle than down in CA too though. I'm thinking about taking it apart myself and putting in some foam tape or something. Anyone with a better idea? tom

tom :)

[quote name='MtnSub']Have noticed numerous small, but quality items like this in posts. Is this typical Subaru culture or first year car issues? Never owned a Subaru before. Also, is it easy to remove the two side trim parts along edge of center console?[/QUOTE] I think it's "variance in parts tolerance" issues. Some people have the rubbing, some don't. I think it is pretty easy, but it's even easier to have the dealer do it. :D Kevin

I'm not trying to defend for Subaru, but I think most cars have these tiny problems... for example, the 03, 04 G35's moonroof will pop up when one is driving over a speed bump at a slightly higher speed; cheap paint work; weird sounds from the passenger's seats; uncomfortable seats; trunk handle pulled off; and brakes wear out at 30K etc. The Mazda 6 have rusting problem, the Audi A4 has unfixable engine problem, the IS300 has serious CD-player problem, BMW full of electrionic faults, even my cousin's Toyota , which consider to be super reliable, have plenty of problems too! So, as soon as the problem is not related to safety issue, I don't really consider it as a problem that has to be concerned. :D (just my opinions)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try the weatherstripping if the dealer isn't able to do anything at my next visit. Was it applied just at the tabs or along the entire seam of the panel? Although my dealer had my console apart to examine the shift-lock mechanism noise (I have a 5EAT), the console noise started with the cold weather. When I lightly press down on the panel around the gear selector (right in front of the cupholder) I can make the noise go away. Rubbing noises from interior panels is definetly not a Subaru-only thing. All matching parts have tolerances and there is the risk of rubbing. Ken

Ken, I have pretty much removed all the center console pieces at this point and lined them with nylon tape (similar to athletic tape but tougher) to remove the noises. Finally the car is quiet!! The two side pieces are the biggest offender as noted. I put tape on all their contact points (either put tape on the trim or the console where they touch), but the biggest improvement came when I put tape on the snap fasteners -- basically pry them off the trim, and then put tape on the trim attachment points and re-attach the fastener back on. Same goes for the fasteners on the panel that goes around the shifter. I also put tape on the attachment points for the chrome shifter ring. Too bad we're on opposite coasts -- between the lighting mod and this, I think we are pursuing all the same projects! Craig

BTW, I was just thinking, one of the cars I test drove on the lot had some sort of tape underneath those pieces, I could tell because one of them was kinda crooked and sticking out. When I took my console apart there was _nothing_. My car was probably built at least 2 months after that car. Anyone else? Also, I found a new one tonight. The windshield defroster vent near the driver's side..

Craig, Thanks for the reply. I think I read somewhere else about you using nylon tape. It would seem that nylon tape would be easier to handle than weatherstripping. I guess the ideal medium would have low friction and some compliance to take up the tolerances. Yeah, it's too bad we're on opposite coasts. It would have been lots of fun working on this stuff together -- although it seems like you're always one step ahead of me. ;) So what's next? :D Ken

Archived