LegacyGT.com

Clearing up all the oil info....

• 3 weeks later...
right now I'm on Subaru Synthetic brand thinking of switching over to

Motul Synthetic 5w-40

06 LGT in So Cal so winters aren't that cold.

Just changed mine to amsoil 5w-40, and im in socal too. Good quality oil. Ive heard subies like the 40 weight, so I decided to see for myself and its all going good so far. I'll probably check in 1000mi to see if im consuming any oil.

Edited by W.K.S.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am going to be purchasing an '06 LGT from a guy who really doesn't want the car. He stated that he changed the oil recently, but not knowing the LGTs, I don't think he put in the right oil. Now, the drive back to my house is about an hour, and I'll drive the car rather gingerly there. But I wanna to change the oil as soon as I can. Reading through this forum, I know there are varying opinions, but how should I go about to clean out the oil that was put into the engine?

"What's God, if not the spark that started life?"

~ Last Ride of the Day by Nightwish

I am going to be purchasing an '06 LGT from a guy who really doesn't want the car. He stated that he changed the oil recently, but not knowing the LGTs, I don't think he put in the right oil. Now, the drive back to my house is about an hour, and I'll drive the car rather gingerly there. But I wanna to change the oil as soon as I can. Reading through this forum, I know there are varying opinions, but how should I go about to clean out the oil that was put into the engine?

Hot water and Dawn.

It is still ugly.

Once you've drained the old oil and replaced the filter, there won't be enough of the old oil left to make a difference. With that said, I think you're worrying too much because there really isn't a bad oil he could've used, unless he went out of his way to do something stupid like use non-detergent oil. Having .2qt's of some "crappy" oil left in the engine when you're adding 4qt's of fresh oil is no big deal.

Just make sure that the turbo works as it should, but don't overstress it until you have changed oil.

If you really want to clear out the old oil you can do an oil change and then 100 miles later another oil change. That would take care of the problem.

453747.png

• Mega Users
You could always use some seafoam in the oil. Do an oil change with some cheap 10w30 oil. Stay out of boost for a hundred miles or so, then change the oil with something good.

The dealer will have a can of motor flush at the parts counter that is approved by Subaru for turbo motors.

Just grab a can of that and follow the directions.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had a p0021 code come on in my car. I changed the oil with vr1 20w50 and everything is good as of right now. My spec b has 60k on it and I live in florida where it gets hot. I also dont car if I use synthetic or not. I will alway change my oil at 3k just becuase I like that peace of mind. The reason why I am using 20w50 is because a few other subby owners I know are running witht he same oil but making big hp.

I would think you can live with 10w-40, your bearing are not seeing the big load the high HP cars see.

Have you run a can of motor flush thru the engine. The dealer will have a can at the parts counter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I am a parts guy and we dont have any oil flush to sell. At this time the car is stock but within the next year I will be making moves on the car to move the hp # up. up,dp, full 3" tune and alot of track time. autocross and drag time.

If I do change it is going to be with th rotella 5w40.

I see it behind the guy's at Suburban Subaru in Vernon CT everytime I'm there. I have even bought a can. It's in a tall blue Subaru can. It's safe for turbos.

That's a good choice of oil.

• 1 month later...

:soap_box: - Update

So, I bought the car, and with a turbo failure and engine rebuild later. My car is running fine, and I know this sounds silly, but with it being under warranty (Engine AND turbo), I'm going to stick with going to the dealership for the oil changes until the warranty runs out. This way, if there is another turbo failure (or worse), they'll honor their warranty. I'll pay a little bit more, but if the car runs great and still does outside the warranty, then I'll go ahead and change the oil myself.

"What's God, if not the spark that started life?"

~ Last Ride of the Day by Nightwish

• 4 weeks later...

I'd highly recommend the 10w-30, over the 5w-30 Mobil1

Does Mobil1 even make a 5w-40 ? IMO I like these cars on on a 5w-40, for the reason the turbo can get hot, we know that most oils break down to a lower weight after a few miles.

Edited by Max Capacity