LegacyGT.com

Double Din unit with hard drive?

strykr

Now that I realize I can actually put a double din unit in my car, I've begun looking at different options.

Does anyone know of any units that support a hard drive? I know pioneer makes one that comes with a hard drive, but it would be way cheaper to add the drive myself. (Especially since I have a bunch already sitting around).

Pioneer has the AVIC-Z3. 30gb HD I believe. I don't know any that come empty so the end user can install their own.

EDIT--Also, you need to worry about vibration and the HD can handle being inside a car constantly.

EDIT--Also, you need to worry about vibration and the HD can handle being inside a car constantly.

I would like to put in a solid state drive for that reason, assuming I can find a unit

Try google, I only knew of the AVIC....so when I googled it the AVIC is the only one I saw that was a US market unit.

And what do you want? DVD/NAV?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find one that's designed to use a HD that doesn't already come with one installed. Most people don't want to pull apart a $1000 piece of equipment to install a HD.

Looks like most units with a USB port for thumb drives will work. I assume the drive needs to be formatted in fat32 since that is what most thumb drives are formatted in.

So far I think I'm gonna go with the Pioneer AVIC-F series

Archived