LegacyGT.com

After much suspension research...

Dyl911

I'm looking for some opinions (flame suit on) about my proposed suspension upgrade. I bought my '08 LGT in October, and I really like it. (I hate the hesitation I get under WOT, but that is for another time.) However, I think everybody agrees that the stock suspension is lacking.

Requirements:

A ride that remains relatively compliant. The road around me (just north of NYC) are terrible. Part of the reason I sold my RSX-S was because the suspension was too stiff.

I don't mind the stock ride height, but wouldn't mind a slight reduction.

I HATE cars that sway in turns. I've had two Miatas with suspension mods, a Prelude with coilovers, and I have a 911 in the garage for play time.

I don't want to get crazy with Konis or coilovers.

Budget: around $1k

Options:

1) Matched 25mm F&R sways (with upgraded end links and reinforcements), stock springs and struts

2) Matched 22mm F&R sways (with upgraded stuff), Eibach springs, and stock struts

3) Stock F sway, 22mm R sway, Eibach springs, KYB struts

Keep in mind that this is my daily driver. It won't be tracked or autocrossed.

Thanks in advance. :)

DSC03136.thumb.jpg.ce4c5240607af3aa62dca123375b98fb.jpg

IMO, you're going about it the wrong way. Much of your perceived body roll has to do with the stock KYB dampers. I'd either go w/ Konis/stock springs or Eibachs/20 mm JDM RSB or Bilstein HDs or Spec B takeoffs/pinks, JDM LGT, or stock Spec B/20 mm JDM RSB.

# 2 will work out nicely for a street car. Eibach or Tien H-Tech on stock struts = comfortable ride. Unlike the Miata which doesn't "need" or want a lot sway bar, the 3600 lb LGT is a pig that can easily twist a 1" bar. The 25mm Perrins on the soft setting both front and rear will eliminate of most of the roll and change the dynamic from "plows like a John Deer" to mild over steer.

Your stock springs are ok, so why swap them if you dont' want a drop? Switch to Koni inserts, which will give you some mild adjustability as well.

A set of sways does a world of difference in steering response and lack of body roll, but it still handles like a wet noodle in terms of vehicle placement.

Trust me, I just thrashed the car today on backroads (I could smell the brakes cooking; they smelled delicious). It has a set of Cobb Sways on, but stock tires.

Anywho, after thrashing it I hopped into my stock Civic SI (with half-worn quality all-season tires).

I went into an intersection and made a left-hand 90 degree turn at about 20mph over what would be considered normal. The car just pointed and shot, no drama, no fuss, no corrections needed.

The LGT with sways is nowhere near that.

+1 for Koni, better struts/shocks should eliminate most of the body roll. It's only the Koni fronts that need to be cut, the rears are direct replacement. I believe there's a few threads out there going over the install.

For sways, keep in mind the thicker they are, the less compliant the ride will be over uneven pavement since you're making the suspension less independent.

I'd say #2 but the Eibach's may drop you lower than you want if you're good with your ride height, (that and they are getting harder to find for Legacy fitment as I believe they stopped making them). Might want to consider looking at the Rallitek springs. Its a progressive sport spring that lowers and 1.1" in the front and 0.9" in the rear, (less than the Eibachs). It was also developed to work well with stock strut set ups. This and a set of sways with the reinforcement bits and you're good to for less than $1k, (or some left over for labor if you don't want to deal with the install) :)

Guest PeteAWD
Koni struts, I looked at the installation mod required for the fronts. It appears if a mistake is made in measuring, you have a costly problem. In any event, I see here someone said there is not much more of a labor cost to install them. Anyone had it done? How much? How was the ride?

I'm also from Westchester (what part are you from), but I spend most of my time in Maine at school. You want to talk bad roads, you should come up here in the winter. Just as you did, I learned the hard way about aggressive suspensions. I had a super stiff race coil setup on my previous car and I just couldn't deal with it in Maine anymore.

Your option 1 plan sounds exactly like mine. I plan on doing F&R sway bars with upgraded endlinks this summer. I hate how much this car rolls in the corners.

I went with the BC BR Coilovers (6k/8k) and a Perrin 22mm rear sway. No more understeer, very little roll, still comfortable, much more agile than when I had bilsteins & Pink springs.

I'm in Hartsdale, and East Hartsdale Avenue is like Beruit.

I drive on the Bronx River a lot, so I want to improve my suspension.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do, frankly.

I'm in Hartsdale, and East Hartsdale Avenue is like Beruit.

I drive on the Bronx River a lot, so I want to improve my suspension.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do, frankly.

Ah yes, the Bronx River. Unfortunately I find the speed limit way too slow, if you know what I mean. It may have something to do with the curves and the lights, so I understand why you would want suspension work done. There are some roads around here that really jar the spine. Chatterton Ave in Hartsdale used to be pretty bad, is it still that way? I remember my mothers 5-series scraping the front end on Chatterton a few times.

BC's have been on for 2 months. Before those I had pinks on bilsteins, and before that I had Rallitek's on Bilsteins.

Rebuild info: free within 1 yr, $75 lifetime after that.

good to hear, thats a pretty decent rebuild price. im sittin on teins and stock shocks that are pretty boned, so its about time to do somethin about it

Guest PeteAWD

And possibly have a bent wheel, rim , whatever term you choose.

Ah yes, the Bronx River. Unfortunately I find the speed limit way too slow, if you know what I mean. It may have something to do with the curves and the lights, so I understand why you would want suspension work done. There are some roads around here that really jar the spine. Chatterton Ave in Hartsdale used to be pretty bad, is it still that way? I remember my mothers 5-series scraping the front end on Chatterton a few times.

So AZP will do the konis for a grand according to their site. So perhaps the konis and a jdm rear bar?

Does anybody around here have konis with stock springs and a rear bar?

Right now I think we do em for about $895 due to the sale on the Konis that the manufacturer has out on them right now.

-mike

Archived