LegacyGT.com

94 legacy jdm ej22 build

dubgkizzle

Hello everyone im new around here and new to subaru building. i have a 91 legacy (4dr),i swapped the auto tranny it had for a 5spd tranny and the jdm ej22 engine from my wrecked 94 legacy. it runs fantastic,but i want to do more than just a stock motor with a cold air intake. can anyone please give me some insight on what i can do with this motor to "beef it up"? or engine swap possibilities? ive been thinking about going turbo...any insight? i appreciate any and all that can help me out,thanx:confused:

right on ,thats killer information.Thank u very much. anyone know any info on turbo charging early model legacy engines that came n/a...would it be better to find the already turbocharged ej22t? im tryin to weigh my options for what i plan on doing with my spare engine thats just sittin around.

You may know this already, but I'll say it anyways. Turbo engines have a much lower compression ratio than a N/A. This is due to the drastic increase of fuel and air flowing into the cylinder due to the forced induction. Try to squeeze all that fuel and air too much and BOOM. Grenade city. I've seen the aftermath of too much psi mixed with too much squeeze. We couldn't find all the pieces. If you turbo a N/A, keep this in mind. The stock compression on the Subaru N/A engines is pretty high, so you will need to keep the boost pressure pretty low. You won't need much anyways, a stock Honda VTEC with just a few psi of boost is amazing. You have to run premium or the engine starts to detonate, but the power was smooth and constant. It still ran great in the lower rpms, but when the turbo kicked in and the VTEC right after, :eek:. Scary.

EDIT: I spoke to the guy that owned the above Honda, he said the motor blew up after about 10K. Cylinder head cracked from the increased combustion pressure and a lead foot. He was running a very small turbo with 5 psi of boost. He suspects the VTEC was just weak though.

if you boost N/A youd better get some expensive engine control (spark advance-retard, fuel curves, boost control, intercooler to make it easier on detionation!!)

if you can find an ej22T over here with all the controls it comes with that would be the best option!! I have one that needs rebuilt and soon I will be getting rid of the controls for it too as soon as I get a better system myself!! I could'nt fint a 22t around here it is almost easier to get some JDM turbo motor thats what I had to do!!

Archived