LegacyGT.com

my Subaru will beat with a Buick heart!

Alright, but HX40 is too small for this target. Unless I am off by a mile (remember Texas doesn't do that cold dense air thing so much :lol:) it would have to be HX55, which actually looks about perfect. Wonder how it will spool though... Probably not very well :(

hx35 is good for about 750 hp..

hx 40 good for 900

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're worried about lag, there's always the twin-charged set-up. It solves the lag issues, and lets you use a smaller turbo for the same power. The only issue is intercooling, because the supercharger is almost as much of a heat-producer as a turbo.

The usual thing is to use an air-to-water core under the supercharger, but you guys have clearance issues, and it's also not as good as air-to-air for daily driving anyways. There's an under-supercharger plate from Australia that let you run air-to-air, but again with clearance and intake-routing issues.

the supercharge just becomes a restriction, on the big hp setups. i have seen a few people do it, and then just take it off.

climber d , i'm tellin you 3.8 with holset hx 35 and you will not be disappointed !

initilal launch from idle is still not a problem, can be just brake boosted in conjunction with launch control. i had 19 lbs boost at 3000 rpm at 1/3 throttle in neutral !

for normal driving the kick down and allowing the engine to rev up will give absolute instant boost ! and snap of neck when combined with hex mod valve body :)

I am reading choke at 6700rpm with a HX35, I must have something wrong somewhere...

231 CI engine

6700rpm

88% VE

120F intake manifold temps

11.5:1 AFR

What are you running?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I am reading choke at 6700rpm with a HX35, I must have something wrong somewhere...

231 CI engine

6700rpm

88% VE

120F intake manifold temps

11.5:1 AFR

What are you running?

what are you getting for flow of the hx 35 ? its suposed to be like 600 grams a second, i went through lots of arguments about with when my sunbird was running like 106 mph in the 1/4 mile i couldn't figure out why it wasn't making power. everyone said the holset was no good. but i then retarded the cam 10 degrees like the l67 is to the n/a version and wham it started doing 117 mph 1/4 mile. i know the hx 35 on a 3.8 is a little of the map to the right ie better matched for a smaller engine. but it works dammit ! how ever i would love to try a hx 40 on there since its the same foot print and would bolt right in.

Edited by frank_ster

Almost?

well the is two thinks that make intake charge hot.

1 the act of compressing

2 the transfer of heat

the superchargers stay at about coolant temp but since the surface area of air contact is much less. ie the turbo compressor blades acts like heating fins.

and the superchargers don't tend to get as hot. even if the turbo is water cooled there is a tonne of heat transferred through the shaft and whatnot.

there is this guy raven with a 3800 sereis 2 in a cavalier turbo running 11's at 130 + mph he had the the twin charge set up for like a week and didn't see a point. the modified 3800's with turbo are pretty crazy.

I'm reading what the maps say, that a HX35 is a tad bigger than a Garrett GT30r, depending on what variant.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/152123652-post1.html

It looks like this motor can enjoy a lot more than a HX35.

GT4088r looks incredible, as does a big S300SX :wub:

My 533bhp configuration

My 650bhp configuration

I realize that site over-reads, which can be adjusted by lowering AFR and clicking reconfigure.

I can get 400whp or 533bhp out of my car as is, with a few minor bolt-on changes and E85. I want the car to be disgustingly fast, scary fast, terrifyingly fast, to the limit of the 5eat (wherever that is TBD).

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

hehe go nuts ! right now i'm just going for awesome drive ability,

its probably the fastest car running on 87 octane around.

and i don't realy want to break anything right now. i have already broken the flex plate once.

if your gonna go special turbo go BIG or go home ! get the big stuff!

there is a laser cut place jsut north of Dallas that i used. they can make a lot of the parts for you. you can either scan a drawing or draw it on autocad your self i can show you how. that will make everything uber nice

the superchargers stay at about coolant temp but since the surface area of air contact is much less. ie the turbo compressor blades acts like heating fins.

and the superchargers don't tend to get as hot. even if the turbo is water cooled there is a tonne of heat transferred through the shaft and whatnot.

Very little heat is gained through the shaft, the air is not in contact with the turbo itself long enough to pickup enough heat. The heat is a byproduct of compression. This is why a big turbo at 12psi makes the same or more power as a smaller turbo at 25psi.

At a pressure ratio of 2, a roots style supercharger is about 55% efficient. Most turbos are in the 70's at the same boost level. A centrifugal supercharger is in the high 60's.

A supercharger heats up the air a lot more than a turbocharger. Air-to-water is typically used with superchargers; 1) packaging 2) the greater charge temp causes a greater differential with the coolant temp which makes it viable even with the size constraints.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

the supercharge just becomes a restriction, on the big hp setups. i have seen a few people do it, and then just take it off.

It depends on what you want from your engine too - top power or a nice wide torque curve. The latter is preferred if you want something that's easy to drive, and in many cases you can be faster with such an engine since it's less sensitive to the wrong gear.

453747.png

It depends on what you want from your engine too - top power or a nice wide torque curve. The latter is preferred if you want something that's easy to drive, and in many cases you can be faster with such an engine since it's less sensitive to the wrong gear.

Roots blowers are only good for low and mid range. Yeah they can make horsepower but tend to lose top end depending on how well built even then turbo's can still do good mid range and better top end. My 98 regal gs with the factory eaton m90 drops off on high end, with factory cam or rockers its pretty pointless to try and go beyond 100mph. Pulls hard in first and second but once i hit 3rd around 97mph it feels like its lacking about 40hp.

Also the gen 3 m90's are also only 50% efficient at 15psi. On a 3800 depending on build for that boost range you'll see high 12's which is intercooled range. 15psi on a decent turbo is low 12's or better.

its jsut a matter of sacrificing top end for low end or low end for top end.

the supercharger in twincharged ends up like your putting a desk fan on the roof of your car at 70 mph.

but guys mine and climber d's are automatic. the stall of the turque converter allows the engine to hop up to the power and let the turbo spool.

its jsut a matter of sacrificing top end for low end or low end for top end.

the supercharger in twincharged ends up like your putting a desk fan on the roof of your car at 70 mph.

but guys mine and climber d's are automatic. the stall of the turque converter allows the engine to hop up to the power and let the turbo spool.

Yeah, if Grand Nationals with big turbo's can do wheel stands and are kept a 4spd auto the turbo top end must not be hurting them so why would it you. Just may need more converter at some point.

^ yep .. mine even if i'm in manual mode at 55 mph 5th gear and i floor it it jumps up instantly to 4000 rpm the boost comes up instantly and it pulls strong. only thing is the tranny heats up fast ! need to get my external cooler on there !

so looking at the differences between the 2.5i and 2.5gt ecm's

the 2.5I is powered by wire #d15 ( connector d pin # 15)

2.5 gt is powered by #d14 same as 3.0 r computer.

another key difference is the 2.5gt is has a variable speed fuel pump and teh 2.5i does not.

looks like this can be made to work.

i will simply switch that wire pin and see if i can get some life out of it later on today

just ordered 65# hr injectors from *********** .. ( i want money for this advertisement)

so they will show up on Wednesday and the boost is gonna go up !!!!

ran 14 flat last night at the drags ... ( spining !!!! wtf wrx's were 60' 2.25 i got 1.9 60') stupid 350z beat me just bearly but did ( angry face)

i have a 255 warbro pump, but its been sitting around for a while. i don't know if it should chance still using it ? ??

Edited by frank_ster

Updates? :D

injectors coming in wednesday ..

i installed a wrx fan rad last night . ( 160$ for the new rad at autoparts store **** ( pay me for advertisement )) pretty much direct fit but twice as thick

mounted in the fans correctly onto the radiator. not the stupid go through plastic ties.

I just read more about cams, courtesy of the LSX's ubiquitous information. What are the specs on your current cam?

Series II/III can easily do .5" valve lift or more, with stock 1.6 rocker ratio. Most cams jump right to that popular amount of lift. Retainers and springs and a couple other things might need to be changed out with a lot more lift than stock, but small potatoes for getting the lift durations opened up wide.

Not sure about the series II's and III's, but Grand National logic is that you can run 10's with a stock cam. Bottlenecks are the heads when you want to go further into the 11's assuming you already have injectors, exhaust, cranked up boost, alky...