LegacyGT.com

Brake system warning light...

TeeLoo

The braking system warning is showing intermitently since yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's worn-out braking pads. The stealership recommend to change my braking system last August and I decided to hold off until this spring. I'm also determined not to have the job done at the dealership.

I've read a few topics on this forum and did some research. I still need some help.

Should I change everything including rotor and caliper?

I like spirited driving but it's nothing like Xenonk is describing. It's only a daily commuter mostly inner city driving with some highway driving during the week-end. I'm looking for longevity. I used to own a VW GTI and loved the hard brake-bite feel to it that I never felt with the Legacy GT.

What brands or kits do you recommend? Keep in mind that I don't race or auto-x but just like a bit a spirited driving once in a while. I'm also looking for a different/harder-bite brake feel if possible. I'm not looking to overspend on these items either, so value is important to me rather than brand names or equipment that I will systematically underuse.

The car is 4 years-old, it's got 45,000 km and still has the original brake system as well as tires, Bridgestone Potenza RE-92 which I intend to keep until November 08.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I would go with DBA Standard or 4000 series rotors along with some Hawk HPS pads. I would also recommend upgrading to SS Brake Lines and some better brake fluid (ATE Super Blue). You dont really need to go with bigger rotors or upgraded calipers, the stock LGT brakes are pretty good they just need better pads and upgraded lines to shine.

Try topping off the fluid, as in all the way to the top line. Happened to me too and needed to top off the fluid a bit

Yahtzee! The ABS light means an ABS sensor is going or your fluid is low. If the light flickers, its likely the brake fluid. If your pads are wearing, which they are prone to do, you fluid in the master cylinder will also drop. You may still have life left in the pads, just too low a fluid level.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Try topping off the fluid, as in all the way to the top line. Happened to me too and needed to top off the fluid a bit

The fluid level is just above the min mark.

Can I mix fluid brands? Or do I need to flush the old one. Any special procedures? I read that the fluid is very sensitive to air moisture.

Yahtzee! The ABS light means an ABS sensor is going or your fluid is low. If the light flickers, its likely the brake fluid. If your pads are wearing, which they are prone to do, you fluid in the master cylinder will also drop. You may still have life left in the pads, just too low a fluid level.

It's the brake warning light not the ABS. It doesn't flicker, it just goes on and off. For instance this morning when I started the car, it wasn't on. Later on, I slammed on the brakes and surely enough the brake warning light went on and stayed for several minutes (it's a red indicator, theorytically, I should have the car towed immediately to the nearest Subaru dealer).

It's the brake warning light not the ABS. It doesn't flicker, it just goes on and off. For instance this morning when I started the car, it wasn't on. Later on, I slammed on the brakes and surely enough the brake warning light went on and stayed for several minutes (it's a red indicator, theorytically, I should have the car towed immediately to the nearest Subaru dealer).

I meant the brake light. I forgot the Subaru has warning lamps for both.

Anyway, its your fluid level, I'm 100% positive. There is no immediate danger in continuing to drive your car, just top it off soon. The reason the light pops on during hard braking is because the float inside the mast cylinder drops when the fluid surges forward. Even though the level is above the min mark, I've found this warning light prefers the level much closer to full. I got the same problem once last year at the track during the middle of a session.

Your owners manual will tell you what type of fluid to use, I think its dot3 or 4, but check. Don't use anything with silicone in it. Its okay to mix different fluids of the same type, just pour it in.

ignore him, he'll go away.

The fluid level is just above the min mark.

Can I mix fluid brands? Or do I need to flush the old one. Any special procedures? I read that the fluid is very sensitive to air moisture.

Fill it up to the max mark with like Fweasel said the type of brake fluid the manual reccomends, ideally go to your subaru service center and buy a can/bottle of their stuff.

btw not sure if you've been keeping up or not but the service interval calls for changing the brake fluid every two years iirc.

Fill it up to the max mark with like Fweasel said the type of brake fluid the manual reccomends, ideally go to your subaru service center and buy a can/bottle of their stuff.

btw not sure if you've been keeping up or not but the service interval calls for changing the brake fluid every two years iirc.

Thanks, I do follow the maintenance guidelines prescribed by Subaru. The only thing is that I outsourced everything to the Subaru dealer. I have now reasons to believe that they botch fluid levels. I recently serviced my car for 42,000 km and believe it or not, after telling them beforehand that I needed ATF fluid, they hadn't added any (and it was below the min level). I had to buy the stuff myself and add it myself which is fine by me but for them to not follow the guidelines of the maintenance is unacceptable.

Thanks, for the recommendation, I will top off the brake fluid level this evening.

Thanks, I do follow the maintenance guidelines prescribed by Subaru. The only thing is that I outsourced everything to the Subaru dealer. I have now reasons to believe that they botch fluid levels. I recently serviced my car for 42,000 km and believe it or not, after telling them beforehand that I needed ATF fluid, they hadn't added any (and it was below the min level). I had to buy the stuff myself and add it myself which is fine by me but for them to not follow the guidelines of the maintenance is unacceptable.

Thanks, for the recommendation, I will top off the brake fluid level this evening.

I haven't topped off the brake fluid as the owner's manual states to never mix fluid brands and since I'm not comfortable with the word never, I decided not to risk mixing brands. Obviously Canadian Tire does not carry the OEM brake fluid at least not for Subaru (unless ordered by a customer). So I guess, I'll have to stop by my nearest Subaru dealer to get it.

Archived