LegacyGT.com

CAI or K&N filter?

I've been reading some reviews on this forum and I'm debating whether to do a cold air intake or a K&N filter that goes in the stock air box. The biggest advantage of the K&N is low cost, obviously, and I can keep a stock look in my engine bay. A CAI would most likely net me a bit more performance and would take less space than the OEM air box.

My question is, how much performance advantage does a good CAI (CA legal) offer compared to a performance filter designed for the stock box? Is it worth the extra dollar and hassle if I plan to stay on the stock turbo?

Leave the stock intake in there, its hard to beat.

I've had a Perrin panel filter in my 05 since Aug 2004, I use the K&N cleaning kit on it once a year. LIGHTLY oil it and you'll be fine.

You may want to clean the MAF sensor yearly too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Leave the stock intake in there, its hard to beat.

I've had a Perrin panel filter in my 05 since Aug 2004, I use the K&N cleaning kit on it once a year. LIGHTLY oil it and you'll be fine.

You may want to clean the MAF sensor yearly too.

Do you know if the Perrin one is legal in CA? Right now I'm looking at this K&N: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/33-2304-High-Performance-Replacement-Filter/dp/B000COC0GQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]K&N 33-2304 High Performance Replacement Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Sorry I have no idea.

Do they really check your air filter every time they inspect your car ?

That's way over kill.

Glad I don't live there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just leave the intake alone. Spend the money on booze and strippers, it's a better investment and your car will thank you for it.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 3 months later...
Just curious about the intakes. How does it lean out the AFR but people say there are no gains? Generally when a mod leans the car out it is making more power, thus needing more fuel no?

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

They are typically a PITA to tune; The stock box has the MAF in a good location; most CAI's, do not. The map typically needs MAF scaling, and depending on the location of the MAF in the CAI the turbulence can disrupt the readings. Since the stock box flows so well and doesn't need the tune to be scaled, there's not much of a point in a new unit until much later.

Check this out: http://www.cobbtuning.com/Technical-Articles-s/70677.htm

Archived