LegacyGT.com

5MT vs ATL traffic

IB6UB9

Hey guys, I am in the market for an '05 5MT LGT. I have never owned a manual car before, but I think I want to experience the thrill of driving a fast AWD manual car like the LGT. I'm just worried that driving a fast stick around Atlanta and Marietta will be difficult, dangerous, or just annoying as hell. If I don't get the '05 5MT LGT, I will probably just get an auto '05 Acura TL for more luxury and less stressful driving.

Any opinions?

I would take lessons first. Perhaps go to a school or have a friend/relative with an older MT (you and the owner will be more relaxed).

Also, do you invision yourself driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic everyday? If the answer is yes, then I think any mt car might be annoying to drive. After taking lessons your question might be easier to answer. Regardless of what you decide, knowing how to drive a car with manual transmission is a good useful skill to have.

Once you get the hang of it, it makes driving a fun car even more fun to drive.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's worth it in my opinion. Grain of salt though, as my commute isn't nearly as traffic heavy as the Atlanta area. The TL is a great car, but it's a bit of a spaceship. There's little to no road input, and it feels incredibly isolated from the outside. The gadgets and interior are amazing, and if you want a luxury car that can be a second office, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but it's worth it in my opinion. Grain of salt though, as my commute isn't nearly as traffic heavy as the Atlanta area. The TL is a great car, but it's a bit of a spaceship. There's little to no road input, and it feels incredibly isolated from the outside. The gadgets and interior are amazing, and if you want a luxury car that can be a second office, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

ATL is so nasty that I never rented a car there. Cabs or Marta!!! And cringe!!!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I would take lessons first. Perhaps go to a school or have a friend/relative with an older MT (you and the owner will be more relaxed).

Also, do you envision yourself driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic everyday? If the answer is yes, then I think any mt car might be annoying to drive. After taking lessons your question might be easier to answer. Regardless of what you decide, knowing how to drive a car with manual transmission is a good useful skill to have.

Once you get the hang of it, it makes driving a fun car even more fun to drive.

I know how to drive one, just not like riding a bike.. I know I could get it down and be a great MT driver, but I'm just afraid it will be extremely annoying in the Atlanta area traffic. It's usually bumper to bumper no matter where you are, or what time of day it is.. :spin:

Anyone that lives and drives in Atlanta daily have some insight???

Do the good moments outweigh the shitty ones?

I know how to drive one, just not like riding a bike.. I know I could get it down and be a great MT driver, but I'm just afraid it will be extremely annoying in the Atlanta area traffic. It's usually bumper to bumper no matter where you are, or what time of day it is.. :spin:

Anyone that lives and drives in Atlanta daily have some insight???

Do the good moments outweigh the shitty ones?

Never been to Atlanta. But I used to live in the suberbs of Toronto and now live in the downtown core. I have an 05 MT LGT.

The car is fabulous when you can wring it out, and indeed an excellent highway cruiser and long-distance car. Driving it in traffic is horrendous, lots of clutch riding and terrible clutch engagements, the clutch is kinda crap, very little feedback and a general PITA.

It took me awhile to realize that this clutch needs basically zero throttle to engage slowly if you are in bumper to bumper. This helps a lot.

If you will always always be in traffic, dont get the MT. If you will be in traffic only half the time your prob fine with the MT. I drive a lot in traffic but get some "fun" time once and awhile. Thats when the MT is really worthwhile

I now drive a 2004 F150 for work and it has over 111,000 miles on it, all in the Atlanta metro area. Traffic can be challenging at certain times going in certain directions. But I miss driving a stick and am eyballing an Outback XT with a 5sp tranny. I had a 1990 Ford Taurus SHO that had a clutch so heavy I'd have sworn my left thigh and calf were bigger than the right. But I didn't mind. I really enjoy being part of the driving process instead of having a computer figure out what gear the car should be in. Just my $0.02.

i drive jacksoville which at times is as bad as atl traffic (im up that way often) i can stand it but out of the several cars i owned only 2 were auto, do u do more city or highway driving.

tl...meh my mom had the 99-04 body type and now has an 07, its nice just for a ride but handels like its really heavy and has bad torque steer even with the traction control, id rather drive my lgt, plus i can work on the motor without killing my hands/arms cause yes while its awd its a rwd type layout with room around the motor, the tl is not.

cruiser id say go tl

fun sports sedan go legacy

Archived