LegacyGT.com

New To Subarus, looking for some insight

Fordguy77

Hello,

I'm completly new to the subaru world, and have spent most my time toying in the ford truck, and off road world. And am new to the realm of "street cars". Its came time to get my girlfriend a more updated and nicer ride. She wants a car that's fun to drive around town and decent in the snow, and something I won't mind riding around with here in. And she found a few 05 to 07 legacy gt limited in her price range, and am pretty much on board with the idea. I've been lurking here trying to gather up some information on how to make it a more "fun" car, and trying to find out somethings about the reliablity. She's new into modding and doesn't want to get to drastic, and has read up on the "stages" and believes she wants to be around 2 to 2.5.

The few ones she has found have between 70 and 105k miles on them, and I'm slightly concerned about the longevity of these cars as I know nothing about them. What are some of the key things to watch out for?

The one she likes most has 87K on it, and if we do end up getting I'm already planning on the basics.

All fluid changes

Spark Plugs

Drain and Fill Tranny

Fuel Filter

Air Filter

And plan on getting set up for the Timing Belt shortly after.

All comments are more than welcome.

Thank you,

Chris

The cars are only as reliable as their past owners. Turbo LGTs need regular oil changes to keep them healthy. A lack of maintenance is a big issue, as is the previous owner(s) being idiots and not knowing what they were doing when modifying their cars.

That all being said, LGTs can take some abuse when the owners take care of them. There are many guys on here that track and autox their car (and have for years) with no major issues. My car personally has almost 6 years of being at stage 2, 4 years of autox, on my 3rd clutch, original turbo, and 101k+ miles on my LGT with no driveline issues.

If I sold my car today, I'd have every bit of faith that it would last for the new owner if he kept up with the maintenance that I do.

Sounds like you have everything lined up on your checklist for the purchase of the 87k LGT. One thing you need to be sure to do is clean out the banjo bolt filter screen thing.

Add:

- Check/clean/replace Cabin air filter (if an 05 it's not as easily accessible)

- Check/clean banjo bolt filter to turbo.

Read for info.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-61689.html?t=61689&highlight=banjo+bolt+filter

These are great car's and you'll love driving it with no issues as it's really reliable

No issue's except check/listen for wheel bearing noise from the rear wheels and the banjo filter bolt if its still on the stock turbo(05-06 years only, 07 and newer don't have this filter, so need to worry)

Stage 2 is nice but you should really go 3 with your choice of turbo/power

Good luck on your guy's next car(Hopefully a Legacy gt)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived