LegacyGT.com

Question for someone that REALLY knows 98 Legacy Wagons...

The strangest thing is happening with my car...

When I accelerate vigerously, my rear window washer squirts fluid. Not as if I pushed the button, instead it kinda comes out slowly and gets faster as engine RPM's rise... Does anyone have any idea WHY this is happening!?

It completely blows my mind... I first discovered it a few months ago when I'd topped off the washer bottle that was almost empty. Then at my next gas fill up, I checked the oil (as I usually do) and noticed that the washer bottle was down about 1/2 way. I HADN'T USED MY WASHER AT ALL!!...

I finally saw it in action one day when I pulled out in traffic. As I was accelerating trying to get infront of an approaching car, I was looking in my rear view mirror to make sure I was clear to get over and that's when I saw the stream of washer fluid coming out...

Info about the car:

- 173k miles

- Bone stock

- No mechanical issues

Anyone have a clue what's going on?!

First thing you can do is eliminate the possibility of electrical fault. Un-plug the electrical connection to the washer pump and road test. If no leak, you are looking for an electrical short. If it leaks, well you are probably dealing with something silly and could try replacing the washer jet, it could be leaking.

there is supposed to be a check valve in the hose that goes to the rear washer. it serves 2 functions,

1/ it stops the fluid from running down away fromt the rear washer and back into the tank under the hood.

2/ it also stops gravity or g-forces from pushing fluid out on tot the rear glass when accelerating.

i'm not real sure where it is located, i have never had to deal with it.

It's actually the intense G-forces forcing the fluid out. You need a washer fluid reservoir baffle plate, I think Zero/Sports still make them.

Seriously? I'll have to try it going in reverse and neutral to see if there is any that comes out... Just sounds wierd that the fluid should be allowed to move so freely through the system completely due to the BRUTAL 2.5na AUTOMATIC acceleration :cool::rolleyes:;)

It's actually the intense G-forces forcing the fluid out. You need a washer fluid reservoir baffle plate, I think Zero/Sports still make them.

I am pretty convinced that you are correct!... I tried to operate the pump and it didn't work (since I'd unplugged it). So to my mind the only way to move the fluid would be "G's"... I tried to get a response by revving the engine in neutral, driving in reverse and nothing else produces the same response as accelerating in in drive...

What is this baffle plate you speak of? Know where I can get one? Just a plain one, nothing fancy (if there is such a thing)...

I am pretty convinced that you are correct!... I tried to operate the pump and it didn't work (since I'd unplugged it). So to my mind the only way to move the fluid would be "G's"... I tried to get a response by revving the engine in neutral, driving in reverse and nothing else produces the same response as accelerating in in drive...

What is this baffle plate you speak of? Know where I can get one? Just a plain one, nothing fancy (if there is such a thing)...

Driving in reverse won't induce the same effect as there are more openings at the front, less at the back.

• 2 weeks later...

from the above link.

The rear washer is just a faulty one way valve in the tailgate. G-force makes it squirt out

....fix is to fit a new in line one way valve............

wait for it...... i told you so.

Archived