LegacyGT.com

just a quick question.

Zanatech

are the stock tires 205/55/16 or 215/60/16?

whats the stock outside diameter?

anyone know which one of these sizes would be best for winter driving? fargo has deep snow (my street doesn't get plowed), and ice under the snow normally.

205/50/16 - 24.3

195/55/16 - 24.6

205/65/16 - 26.5

225/50/16 - 25.0

tire size outside diameter

these are the 16" sizes for bridgestone ws-50's

consumer reviews say they grip ice like studded tires, and are excellent in moderate to deep snow.

other consideration is the revo-1

which sounds equally good according to bridgestone and come in:

215/65/16 205/60/16 215/60/16 225/60/16 205/55/16 215/55/16

27.0 25.9 26.4 27.0 25.0 25.4

thanks for any help. also i know winter tires aren't a replacement for common sense.

(my lunch break was ... fun.. i work from 1am to 10am (street isn't plowed till 2-3pm reason i say its not plowed) and it was snowing... did a few donuts in the parking lot and parked came back inside.)

CR usually gives very strong preference to lower cost. Often times a worse performing but less expensive item will come out on top.

I haven't seen this particular test, however. Do they give actual performance numbers or just circles? Do they give their weighting for different categories?

Just circles. I know the ratings of all the tires tested was posted in another thread somewhere. Here's their explanation of the ratings:

Guide to the Ratings

Overall score emphasizes safety-related tests, including braking, handling, and resistance to hydroplaning. We scored performance on snow and ice more heavily for winter tires. Scores and ratings are held to a comparative standard within a tire category. For instance, H speed rated, V speed rated, and performance winter tire ratings in this report are not comparable to one another or to previously tested tires. Dry braking was from 60 mph, and wet braking was from 40 mph with the antilock brake system engaged. Handling includes how well the tires gripped in an avoidance maneuver involving a swerve into the left lane and back into the right lane; dry and wet cornering grip; and subjective steering feel. Hydroplaning reflects how quickly we could drive through standing water before the tires begin to lose contact with the pavement. Rolling resistance, measured on a dynamometer, is a factor in fuel economy. (We didn’t test the winter tires for rolling resistance and tread wear.) Snow traction reflects the distance our test car needed to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph on moderately packed snow. We tested ice braking on a skating rink from 10 mph with the ABS disengaged. Ride and noise reflect our onroad judgments. Price is retail we paid in late 2005. Performance all-season tires either don’t have a tread-wear warranty or it ranges between 30,000 to 80,000 miles. Tread life is the indicator of wear potential from CR’s 16,000-mile mixed-driving test and is not part of the overall score.

Above is directly from Consumer Reports web site.

Cheers!

-Ian

Archived