LegacyGT.com

Need New Struts and Springs

Hemingway

I need to replace all four struts on my '98 Legacy Wagon L. Although I could probably get away with using the original springs, I am looking into replacing the springs at the same time as the struts. I recently upgraded the OEM 14" steel wheels to 15" Konig Lace wheels and a set of 195/60R15 Michelins.

I've read through the numerous suspension and maintenance stickies here and elsewhere. I'd like to hear from you all on your recommendations for specific parts and sources for new struts and new springs. If it is relevant, I live in San Antonio, TX, and my Subie currently has 102K miles on the original engine and brake system.

I'd like to get struts and springs that retain the same height (or even raise it an inch). In addition, I want the OEM 'feel' as far as ride comfort and handling. This car is predominantly a daily driver and I want a comfortable ride first and handling second. As a disabled vet, I am very limited in my physical abilities and can only physically handle minor car repairs. As such, I will likely be hiring someone to install the struts and springs.

With these requirements in mind, please reply with a recommendation for new struts and new springs. In addition, if there are additional parts that are needed or recommended (i.e., strut mounts), please advise. Finally, if you know a good shop in San Antonio, please recommend a mechanic as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Archived