LegacyGT.com

Synthetic can be a good thing in cold climates (right Franz?) due to better cold pour-point... flows better when cold. But other than that, if you change dino oil frequently enough, it should be fine too. Oils in general are a lot better today than in the past.

Totally agree with you dave, just depends on what you are going to be really doing with the car and where you live. I suppose its a bit like brake fluid, significant gains can be made if you change the fluid that has a higher boiling point which can = less brake fade after a few big stops.

I had always heard (but never independently researched) that synthetic oil broke down at higher temperatures than non-synthetic; thus providing better protection for high temperature applications like in a forced induction engine. Any truth to this?

[quote name='Th3Franz']http://www.valvoline.com/pages/rebates/rebate_details.asp?rebateid=18 Just wondering what weight of oil the GT will probably use? This is synthetic, so it would be awhile before I'd use it. Gotta break the engine in first of course![/quote] This dino vs synthetic topic still gets to me. Some people insist dino oil will help seal the rings by leaving deposits, but a lot of performance vehicles now come from the factory with synthetic. Shouldn't a good engine with tight tolerances not require this dino oil sludge to work properly? In the end, like most people say, it doesn't hurt. I still wonder thou.

I was under the impression that most companies perform the primary "break-in" of the engine before shipping to the dealership. I know Mistu has done this, and that's how they can advertise first oil change at 3K miles, or what have you. Anyhoo, if the highend sports cars ('Vettes, Porsches, etc) can ship from the factory w/ full synthetic, I don't see any reason [i]not[/i] to use it straight off the bat.

If you want to know about oil use (dino and syn) you should visit BOBISTHEOILGUY - [url]http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=3[/url] , especially the used oil analysis forum. Lots of real data. Can search for Subaru. Generally turbo engines are harder on oil than non-turbo.

[quote name='CombatCQB'][quote name='Th3Franz']http://www.valvoline.com/pages/rebates/rebate_details.asp?rebateid=18 Just wondering what weight of oil the GT will probably use? This is synthetic, so it would be awhile before I'd use it. Gotta break the engine in first of course![/quote] This dino vs synthetic topic still gets to me. Some people insist dino oil will help seal the rings by leaving deposits, but a lot of performance vehicles now come from the factory with synthetic. Shouldn't a good engine with tight tolerances not require this dino oil sludge to work properly? In the end, like most people say, it doesn't hurt. I still wonder thou.[/quote] There will always be a debate on which oil and when to start using syn, but you're going to hear different things from everyone you meet. Some say first oil change then syn, others will stick to 'x' amount of milage for some reason or another. Subaru says it's ok to use after break-in, so thats likey when I'll make the swtich. :)

So what do you do when they put more Oil in after the 1st 2nd and 3rd services? Empty it out and put yr stuff in ? I have been tempted to give my oil to Scooby during the service but wouldnt be sure if they would actually use it or not!

If you tell them to, they SHOULD, at least most places over here will. Read MOST. A few places I've heard of are very ignorant, won't even adjust your tires to the listed specs you desire as per your request. But that's not all places. If the Aussie dealerships are similar, I'd imagine they should replace the oil at the change interval with yours, unless of course they have some sort of policy against it. Give them a call and ask. Simple as that.

I'm sure you'll find some dealership that will work with you. If not, find a shop that other owners have had good experience with and get them to do it. Finding a good service shop that you can be sure will do the job right the first time. Saves a lot of headaches in the long run. The worst places I know in the US are some of those instant oil change places, had some bad experience with those.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Why would one take their vehicle to the dealership for oil changes?[/quote] Because my dealership gives me a coupon for 25 free oil changes, that's why. I only get charged $5 for those miscellaneous "disposal costs." Of course, I supply my own Mobil 1 but still...the filter and labor are free. :lol: BTW, turbos luuuuv synthetic motor oil, and I like Mobil 1 a lot. I've used it in every car I have owned since about 1987. It's fantastic stuff. Kevin

The reason why i dont trust them is, I take my car to a local dealer here in Melbourne for service, very professional. I have asked them on several occasions not to do a tyre swap as it whacks the balance out and the car just runs crap. Do u think they listen. SO, if Im taking in Oil that is around AUD30-40 bucks, Im sure its going to come home, not with me in the car but in someone elses pocket! Drift, Im not taking the car there for oil change, Scooby just change the oil during the normal service.

Well, I guess there is one way to find out if they do it. When you go in though, have them write down on the service ticket (at least that's what they do over here) what you exactly want done, and list no tire rotation, etc. Good luck!

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Why would one take their vehicle to the dealership for oil changes?[/quote] Because my dealership gives me a coupon for 25 free oil changes, that's why. I only get charged $5 for those miscellaneous "disposal costs." Of course, I supply my own Mobil 1 but still...the filter and labor are free. :lol: BTW, turbos luuuuv synthetic motor oil, and I like Mobil 1 a lot. I've used it in every car I have owned since about 1987. It's fantastic stuff. Kevin[/quote] Can't argue with free I suppose! :)

Archived