LegacyGT.com

Failed Smog (California)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Visited Subaru and saw their smog guy. Decal is wrong and now I have to visit a Referee. Fun!

Subaru should fix this! They put a decal on the car that doesn't properly describe the emission equipment that the car came with. Call SOA and open a ticket, and ask to meet with the Regional Subaru Tech (the one that approves big warranty work) at the dealership.

JLGT

I was upload the Subaru Manual on this but I cant get it to attach. Either way, from Subaru it says you have a front and rear cat; however, they are actually together in the same component. So, you have two O2 Sensors and the second one is located between the two cats. When you look at it, you will see that there is a large diameter pipe, the cat, and a sensor on the front side and a sensor in the middle. The Cats are located in front of and after the second sensor. Hope that makes sense. So, you have two cats located in the same component. In fact, you only have one part number for a cat because they are both located in the same component. The diagram they printed is not the proper diagram. I have the one from Subaru and whatever they gave you is not from Subaru.

Subaru does use whats called a secondary air pump. if you have one it is on the driver side of the engine and it has two lines that fee to the back of the heads to inject air into the exhaust. A quick way to see if you have one just look at your relay box. It has a dedicated relay for it.

Hope this helps

Thanks, yes I have been to the Subaru dealer which looked at the engine bay and fuse box and told me that there does not seem to be an air pump and everything looks factory. They then sent me to their smog guy, who also looked and told me that there does not seem to be an air pump and that all data doesn't show an air pump, and the OBDII diagnostics shows that the Secondary Air System is "Not Supported" no air pump.

This is after yesterdays original smog, so 3 different visits. I have contacted Subaru and they basically just told me that they will document the issue and I should just continue with visiting the referee.

Subaru's smog guys seemed the most helpful and said that it will probably be quicker and easier to visit the referee who will probably just sign this all off and end this fiasco.

Where did you take it to? My 05's been smogged three times now and the visual was done from about 3 feet from the car so they never saw the missing uppipe cat, not that they can really see it.

Where did you take it to? My 05's been smogged three times now and the visual was done from about 3 feet from the car so they never saw the missing uppipe cat, not that they can really see it.

The UP is not a concern for smog, they look for the main cat in the DP before the rear O2 sensor. I asked a tech this before and as long as the main cat is in place and the sniffer passes, that's all they care about. '05 - '06 models

My wife's balls are delicious.

Subaru's smog guys seemed the most helpful and said that it will probably be quicker and easier to visit the referee who will probably just sign this all off and end this fiasco.

So stupid question since I don't live in CA, how often do you have to smog your vehicle over there? Once the referee signs off on it, are you good for the next smog test? Or are you going to have to go through all this next time unless Subaru gets you an updated sticker?

Also while people are contacting companies, someone should get ahold of Mitchell and let them know they have at least the wrong exhaust diagram for a 2010 GT in their system. Wonder what else they have wrong or if the 2011-12 are wrong too. Sooooo many mechanics use that system...

In CA, a new vehicle doesn't need to be smog checked for 6 years, until it needs registration for the 7th year since new, which is why the 2010 owners are just finding out the issue with the sticker now. From then on, it's every 2 years or at changes of ownership.

It will make things much easier for these owners, going forward, to just get Subaru to fix the problem from the factory and to issue them a sticker with the proper, pertinent information reflecting the smog equipment that was on the car from the factory.

Edited by GTEASER

The UP is not a concern for smog, they look for the main cat in the DP before the rear O2 sensor. I asked a tech this before and as long as the main cat is in place and the sniffer passes, that's all they care about. '05 - '06 models

There's no sniffer test. Just OBD and visual. The visual is dependant on how thorough the inspector is. I have a co-worker that failed because the cat part number was incorrect. Whereas I go to places that are not as thorough.

There's no sniffer test. Just OBD and visual. The visual is dependant on how thorough the inspector is. I have a co-worker that failed because the cat part number was incorrect. Whereas I go to places that are not as thorough.

True, different parts of CA have different inspections. Here in Fresno they only look for the main rear cat and the sniffer results.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Visited the referee, they can't pass it due to the under-hood label.

From referee:

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s547/subleg/111_zps8cdvwb7v.jpg

After, I went back to the Subaru dealer and supposedly they are ordering me a new label, not sure how that will go.

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s547/subleg/2222_zpswhft1tfx.jpg

So for now, my car will not pass smog and my registration is due in a week. If you live in California and have a 2010 GT better get started on getting yourself a new label. Lets get subaru to fix this!!!!

WTF. Talk about passing the buck. Well I emailed Subaru, but still have not heard back from them. Luckily I already was able to smog mine, but if I do not hear back from them soon I will be calling for sure.

Seems to me that since this is their problem they should at least get you a loaner until the problem is solved.

Subaru just emailed me back. Basically they said go to the dealer and have them verify your concern. I have a call into the lead tech at my dealer and he is looking into it for me. I will more than likely go by there this afternoon and have them verify my concern.

I will keep you guys posted.

Which Subaru dealer do you go to? Kearny Mesa?

Also this is who I am speaking with at Subaru, he should have knowledge about these issues:

Grant Noble

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Retailer Services Department

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)