LegacyGT.com

How's your LGT on lousy roads (i.e., potholes)??

In my 24,000 miles of Philly, NJ and NY roads I have hit a lot of potholes, ruts, and expansion joints. The Leg handles them fantastically. The uni-body is very stiff and the suspension has a nice long travel, so that helps avoid bottoming out and transmitting impacts to the cabin. Several times I thought I should have bent a wheel or at least bubbled a sidewall but escaped unscathed. Obviously an OB would be better, but I have had no problems with the stock 215/45/17s on my car (at least as far as potholes are concerned).

-Nick

Nope, I am perfectly fine.. drive faster over them.. so that your suspension has no time to react.. OR do what I do, straddle over them or get wider tires so that your tires dont sink into the pothole.

Keefe

Keefe

There's no comparison between MD roads and the roads where I live. We have substandard construction, maintenance, as well as harsher winters. Compared this this, MD was like driving in California. Sorry for the bitchin', but I'm in the market to purchase and I just what to make an informed decision.

Nope, I am perfectly fine.. drive faster over them.. so that your suspension has no time to react.. OR do what I do, straddle over them or get wider tires so that your tires dont sink into the pothole.

Keefe

haha.. try using that when you get pulled over by a cop

"sorry officer,.... i was just going fast to avoid pot holes banging me around"

Considering the low profiles, I think the Leg GT handles the rough very well. Sometimes the suspension feels close to bottoming out, but nothing too harsh. Stiffer sway bars will help, when I start modding the car.

Joe

The handling is no problem - the car feels amazingly solid over the rough roads (like the stretch of I-78 Westbound about 10 miles inside PA from Jersey) - however, I bubbled a sidewall and bent two rims. Not surprising considering the force of the impact that bent the rims.

I hit what looked a bomb drop in it pothole on Rt.22 during those U-Turns. I thought I might have did some damage since I hit it at at 30MPH+ but it held up.

Haha I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Is that in the area sometimes called the "magic mile?"

How does my car handle potholes? Let's just say that 35 series tires on 19" wheels and a decent drop on coilovers does not make for a good results. Then again, there aren't too many potholes in SoCal, so it's not something that I lose sleep over.

Stock, the GT has excellent ride quality over rough roads. That's much of why we don't get a more "sporting" suspension in the USDM, because of the spotty and inconsistent road quality.

Expect that margin to be reduced as wheel size increases, however.

Kevin

I live in S/E Pa. Bucks County has its own award winning pot holes. Ive owened quite a few cars and I must say that my LGT handles the potholes quite well. Now any supermonster p/h will get any car but for 17'' low profile tires the car does excellent. Some one mentioned why we dont get the JDM stiffer set up as a pot hole thing. I agree. Youll be pleased with the Legacy dont worry.

Haha I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Is that in the area sometimes called the "magic mile?"

I guess I know why it's called the magic mile. I"m surprised the way people drive there's not an accident everyday. People amazes me in their laziness and blantant disregard for other drivers to drive down another 1/4 mile to the other U-turn so they can cut across safely but no, they have to cut out and stop in that lane to cut over. I call it many things and magic surely isn't one of them.

The real test is NYC which my car doesn't see too often,

I have to say it rides very nice, it is much smoother then my TSX was and especially the Trans Am... But it still cuts through the corners quite well.. Its a much better balance and pot holes dont seem to bother me. I was downtown chicago tonight where there are some pretty rough areas of pavement and it was fine.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I guess I know why it's called the magic mile. I"m surprised the way people drive there's not an accident everyday. People amazes me in their laziness and blantant disregard for other drivers to drive down another 1/4 mile to the other U-turn so they can cut across safely but no, they have to cut out and stop in that lane to cut over. I call it many things and magic surely isn't one of them.

The real test is NYC which my car doesn't see too often,

The stretch of 22 I know and love as the magic mile is the section that has shops in the median and on both sides of the road. It has a lot of those crazy U-turns like you mentioned. Terrible design idea for a highway, I'm amazed people don't die there every day.

This stretch is the area I'm talking about. For the uninitiated.

I'd agree with the consensus: the (stock) LGT rides extremely well over rough, potholed pavement! I've been very happy, despite the horrifying roads here in Detroit. I especially like the way the suspension soaks up big mid-corner bumps when you are near the limit - the car doesn't jump sideways like some others I've driven.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

For a sporty car with 45s, the LGT does a superb job in my opinion. I live in Ohio and it's pothole city.

If that's a major concern for you and you don't care about really sporty handling, the Outback is the bomb for potholes--eats them for lunch (I've driven one several times). The Outback has great handling for an "SUV"--you won't get better for the clearance it has. (That being said, the rear shocks do have a dampening problem in my opinion.)

Bottom line, if you really want a European roadhandling sedan, the LGT does as good as any on the potholes. If you want a pothole monster and will sacrifice some handling, get the Outback (it's still a fun handling car, just not quite at the LGT level).

Go take them both for an agressive test ride and see what you think--it's the best way to decide.

The stretch of 22 I know and love as the magic mile is the section that has shops in the median and on both sides of the road. It has a lot of those crazy U-turns like you mentioned. Terrible design idea for a highway, I'm amazed people don't die there every day.

This stretch is the area I'm talking about. For the uninitiated.

Ha Ha! I was just there today. I am still getting adjusted to living in this part of New Jersey (well, Jersey in general - I came from Philly), but the driving I see on 22 is downright scary. My wife and I just about got killed by a PC Richard & Son delivery truck. Not fun.

Ha Ha! I was just there today. I am still getting adjusted to living in this part of New Jersey (well, Jersey in general - I came from Philly), but the driving I see on 22 is downright scary. My wife and I just about got killed by a PC Richard & Son delivery truck. Not fun.

Once you've mastered Jersey driving you're ready for anything. Well except maybe Boston suburbs. NJ is like NYC basically, everyone is aggressive as possible. I lived and worked outside of Boston last summer and noticed people are either just like they are in NJ, or they're afraid of the world. It's almost harder, because you have to predict if this person is going to run you over or stop in front of you and have a panic attack.

Thanks for all the [very helpful and imformative] responses. My concerns were with both ride quality as well as durability of the tires/wheels/suspension setup on the GT. With the exception of Moriarity [bubbled a sidewall and bent two rims], no one's reported any damage or repair bills.

Moriarity, did all yor damage occur in one incident, or multiple incidents? That must've been a significant bill for two OEM wheels and a tire.

Archived