LegacyGT.com

Armor All problem

Armor All,

Used some Armor-all wipes to clean and shine my interior, which turned out fine. The problem is that I got some of the stuff on the glass of the front and passenger windows. Since I missed it and wasn't able to wipe it off in time, there are big smear marks of the stuff almost like it was candy coated on the window. Tried using a wet/damp towel to take off with no luck. The smears look like they are permanently on there. Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Why would you use armor all to make all of that expensive looking mat plastics look shiny? Are you going for the look of the interior of a 1991 camaro? Armor all has no business being used on any modern car interior.

Don't use Windex on the interior either, it has ammonia in it which can damage and dry out plastic trim pieces.

Look at Mint's products. They are great. Duragloss make a fantastic overall interior cleaner and protectant I use it on my 2010 Liberty GT and have just detailed my mother in law's 2000 Holden Commodore and it has come up like new without the oily residue.

A good glass cleaner like Stoner's invisible glass will remove it. I would trash the armor all and pick up either 303 Aerospace protectant or 1z einszett cockpit premium.

+1

I use the Einszett cockpit permium, it's great stuff. I NEVER use anything that has silicone in it like the Armor All crap. Making your interior shiny makes it look cheap. Car manufactures spend a lot of time and effort to make the interior parts look mat and expensive, don't ruin it with fake silicone shinyness.

A good glass cleaner like Stoner's invisible glass will remove it. I would trash the armor all and pick up either 303 Aerospace protectant or 1z einszett cockpit premium.

Thank you, will try this today as I am Cleaning and detailing my car again.

Why would you use armor all to make all of that expensive looking mat plastics look shiny? Are you going for the look of the interior of a 1991 camaro? Armor all has no business being used on any modern car interior.

Don't use Windex on the interior either, it has ammonia in it which can damage and dry out plastic trim pieces.

There is an ammonia free Windex. Pella recommends it for the glass on their doors and windows.

+1 I have this stuff and it works great (Stoners). I stopped using that armerol crap years ago I use McGuires plastic/rubber cleaner works great.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

That is why you should spray the towel first and then wipe down the dash. ;) You know... for future reference. Also, don't blame Armor All on this. Pretty much any dash protectant will do that. You want to avoid getting it anywhere near clear plastics like your gauge cluster or faceplate as well. It can do permanent damage. If you must spray something on the dash, then I would recommend Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer since it is safe for glass and plastics. Not quite the protection as 303 or even Armor All, but it will do a good job of cleaning up your sneeze or squished bug or whatever the problem is. Then you can wipe the area down with the protectant of your choice after you spray it on the towel. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

That is why you should spray the towel first and then wipe down the dash. ;) You know... for future reference. Also, don't blame Armor All on this. Pretty much any dash protectant will do that. You want to avoid getting it anywhere near clear plastics like your gauge cluster or faceplate as well. It can do permanent damage. If you must spray something on the dash, then I would recommend Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer since it is safe for glass and plastics. Not quite the protection as 303 or even Armor All, but it will do a good job of cleaning up your sneeze or squished bug or whatever the problem is. Then you can wipe the area down with the protectant of your choice after you spray it on the towel. ;)

Well I did use a towel to spread, I didn't use the spray at all. I just brushed against the windows lightly and didn't notice it until it was too late. I'm not blaming the product at all, I read the back of the label and it clearly states to be careful not to apply to glass. It's my own fault for not taking my timing. Anyway I bought and used the "Stoner Invisible Glass" Cleans the windows great, but didn't remove the smears. I think it is permanently damaged, so I'll just forget about it.

You could always use something stronger. Using something like vinegar or even isopropyl alcohol may do the trick. Just use the same care to apply it to the towel and then to the glass. You might want to put some towels on the dash below the area just to be safe that you don't do the reverse that you did before and accidentally get it on the dash. Those types of products can fade the vinyl and make spots.

Or you can just leave it if it doesn't bother you too much. Personally, if I had a brand new car then I wouldn't be satisfied with a little smear that I knew could be removed being stuck on the windshield. Obviously you care enough about your car to start protecting it right off the bat, so maybe give some vinegar a shot and see what that does to the smear before giving up entirely. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived