LegacyGT.com

Advice: Roof rack or hitch

I have a 2009 Special Edition sedan and am weighing the pros and cons of installing a roof rack or a hitch. The main use would be to carry bikes. I have my own list, but would like to open hear from others. Which would you recommend and why?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The roof rack will leave marks on the rubber window trim. I have a Thule one and I have the marks from the feet to show it. that is just my experience.

X

---

I have a wagon, so it's a bit different. I have rails to mount my rack to, and it doesn't leave marks.

I've always preferred roof racks for carrying bikes. I have a 2" hitch and everything, but I'll still mount the roof rack so I can carry bikes when the weather gets nicer.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I had a 95 Legacy L sedan, and had a rack attached to that via Q-towers.

I had absolutely no leakage, and at least that car didn't get marks. Though, they don't make them like they used to anymore.

With that old Legacy, I drove from MD to SC with my 49lb downhill race bike on the roof. When I got there, I picked up a friend, and tossed his 40lb FR bike on the roof and drove back to MD... in a blizzard... it was wild.

Never once, with any of my roof racks, have I been concerned with how secure they were holding my bikes.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I have a hidden hitch and love how useful it is. I love the hitch mounted bike rack. I am more confident in how secure they hold the bikes. Plus you can also pull a trailer. Just not at the same time. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

IMO I would say hitch why? Well if your not careful w/ roof racks and the bike hits the car, either it will scratch/chip the paint or make a small dent.

Or do what I did, get a montague folding bike, fits in the trunk w/ my inverted 12" sub:)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

IMO I would say hitch why?

Popup tent trailer, motorcycle trailer, small boat on a trailer, folding bike rack. That's just what I have used it for so far. They even make hitch mounted barbeques for tailgate parties that I am thinking about getting.

Popup tent trailer, motorcycle trailer, small boat on a trailer, folding bike rack. That's just what I have used it for so far. They even make hitch mounted barbeques for tailgate parties that I am thinking about getting.

yup i totally agree a hitch has more uses

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

The roof rack is really secure. I drove from NYC to FL with my bike on the roof and it never got loose or anything. I have also had the rack for more than 6 years and it is still in great shape. I do have the marks on the rubber trim, but it really does not bother me. The Subbie is no garage queen, or car model! :lol:

X

---

I simply have both. I use the hitch for things I couldn't use the rack for. And the rack only really goes on when transporting bikes and stuff. I don't have the rack on now, but it'll probably go on in the next week or so. I take it off for the winter.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/IMG_20110511_120622.jpg

The roof rack will leave marks on the rubber window trim. I have a Thule one and I have the marks from the feet to show it. that is just my experience.

X

I had a Yakima rack on my sedan for a month and when I took it off, I saw dents in the rubber trim. I cant imagine how bad it would have gotten if I left the rack on longer.

I dont think it will cause any kind of leakage when it rains but if you ever take the rack off, it will definetly be an eye sore! :eek:

I'd say go for a hitch for all the state reasons. It is just much more useful. Even if you don't have a trailer now, chances are you know someone you could borrow one from. Or you can pick up 4x8 utility trailers really cheap.

I used a hitch bike rack on my ex's Jeep to haul two bikes, and we went from WV to NC and vice versa quite a few times with no problems. I have never mounted a bike to a roof, but It seems like it would just be eaiser to lift one onto a hitch mount.

You guys are great! My old Saab forum was never this active.

Char, that's one thing that I never thought about...ruining a couple thousand dollars in bikes, a roof, and a garage door all at once.

MkeGT, I was worried about bottoming out or scraping. Is your suspension lower than the regular Legacy or did the hitch just hang too low?

Roof racks are pretty secure. On my last car, I had a Yakima rack with Steelheads, 3 road bikes on the roof at triple digit speeds.

Roof racks do have their downsides, more drag, less fuel economy, wind noise

Roof rack if you also want to carry skis, otherwise get a hitch mount.

Hitch racks are much easy to load/unload.

The main disadvantage to a hitch is that the rack sticks out when parking.

I've got a Raxter Tarsus and I've been really happy with it. I'd probably recommend getting a 2" hitch because that has more options.

At stock height, I will occasionally scrape on very steep driveways. If you're planning on lowering the car it might be more of a issue.

I put a Yakima roof rack system on my 2011 Legacy in the beginning of April. It worked great...... until thieves stole it Tuesday night. It was taken in a well lit parking lot in my apartment complex. Yes, it was locked to the roof...... In addition to getting the rack, the theives caused approx. $1700 in damage to my roof.

Go with the hitch......

Jeff

P.S. anybody have a pic of a hitch on a Legacy sedan? I'm thinking of going this route, since putting the bike in the trunk (seats folded down) is a huge PITA, and impossible with a child car seat installed. I'm interested in a hitch that isn't really noticable when the bike rack is removed....

This is a picture of the hidden hitch (same as Uhual) on my LGT. If you're doing the install yourself, its far easier if you remove the mufflers just before the Y-split.

I put a Yakima roof rack system on my 2011 Legacy in the beginning of April. It worked great...... until thieves stole it Tuesday night. It was taken in a well lit parking lot in my apartment complex. Yes, it was locked to the roof...... In addition to getting the rack, the theives caused approx. $1700 in damage to my roof.

Go with the hitch......

Jeff

P.S. anybody have a pic of a hitch on a Legacy sedan? I'm thinking of going this route, since putting the bike in the trunk (seats folded down) is a huge PITA, and impossible with a child car seat installed. I'm interested in a hitch that isn't really noticable when the bike rack is removed....

_MG_9016.thumb.jpg.d2f0136533972bd783029e707f751d33.jpg

I will admit, I do have to be careful on the steeper driveways and parking lot entrances, not as much as if I had lowered the car though. There is a workaround for that though...just take it at an angle.

If you are racing and traveling with others or own an expensive bike (define expensive for yourself) than I would strongly suggest a roof rack. This way your bike is not effectively turned into a bumper extension and you can carry more bikes and extra wheels leaving the inside of the car free for other things.

If you are a casual rider then the roof rack looks cooler (IMO), but causes extra drag (i.e. lower mpg) and as others have stated increases the risk of scratching the car while hoisting the bikes. Lastly, I cannot believeno one has mentioned drive-through risk yet. Or forgetting the bikes are up top and driving them into the garage.

Go with the hitch......

Jeff

Wow! That sucks. That's probably one of the worst non-entry theft stories I've heard.

Wheels, meh, it's a risk you take when you have nice wheels. But who would steal a roof rack! That's just mean spirited.

Thanks for the tips on the trailer hitch/receivers. Looks like I'll probably go that route. Meeting with my insurance adjuster tomorrow AM so they can see the damage to my car and I can give them reciepts for all the roof rack parts.

Still in shock/pissed that somebody did this..... the Officer who took my report said in his 8 years on the job, he'd never seen a locked roof rack stolen from a vehicle (he was also shocked when I told him what it cost!) Likewise, when I spoke on the phone to my insurance, they seemed as if this was new to them. Oh well, live and learn.

jeff

Archived