LegacyGT.com

06 5EAT LGT or 05 5MT LGT?

Admrl

I was originally looking for an 05 5MT car, becuase ive been driving stick for 6 years daily now, and its just part of my routine, which i enjoy. I went out to a local dealer advertising a "5 speed Legacy GT", and forgot about the 5EAT. Thats what the car is. Its also an 06.

Then, i started shopping around, and discovered its VERy hard to find 5MT cars used without a crapload of mods or miles... Neither of which interest me.

So ive found a couple of cars within a reasonable distance:

2006 LGT (red) 5EAT. 12,500 miles. 21,500 sticker, still negotiating. Paint is gorgeous, its local so i checked it out.

2005 LGT (blue) 5MT. 35,500 miles. I got him down to 19,578 for the car, if i take the extended warranty (which i asked about) for 1729 on top. Thats 21,300, but its covered for 5yr/60k from when i purchase it.

My emotional choice is to go look at the stick, but its a full days drive away. I think the intelligent choice is the 5EAT. Better resale value? Thoughts?

The only differences i saw on the 06 were the trip center buttons were different. Does the 06 LGT have the mp3 reading HU?

What do you guys think?

5MT all the way!!!! You will sure find an unmodified one. Don't give up, get the car you want.

Personally I'd never drive slushbox with silly "shifting" buttons.

No mp3 on 06 LGT. Only SpecB.

LOL. Its unanimous. Out of curiousity, same answer from all three of you if its the specific cars presented above? Those arent the ONLY options, but im looking to buy fairly quick.

My DD isnt going to pass inspection, its ten years old, and its trash. Its now 2 days expired, LOL. That 5MT car is the only one around worth considering, and its pretty far. What do you guys think?

http://www.romanocars.com/used_vehicle_details.htm?vehicleId=aa1a8a454046381e01eea96cbbfbe241

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=216614034&pageNumber=0&aff=automotv&psrch=automotv

Yeah... Im fighting with them via email about that now. These guys want gold for these cars. I kind if get their point, becuase i cant seem to find what i want anywhere...

This one he wont come down below 19,500, and thats only if i buy the service. Otherwise hes at 19,800. I think im going to pass on that, especially considering id have to travel to get it.

The local one (5EAT) is more money, but its newer, way less miles, i wouldnt get an extended warranty on it, etc. Sigh...

Looks like im going to wait for more to come available...

Bargain more. But don't give up, fight the right car. From what you describe you'll be keeping it for long. Why settle for slushbox and hate it for many years?

Its a toss up. I love driving stick every day, but dont think id really *hate* the 5EAT. Plus, the gf/friends can drive it when situations arise... None of them can now. Plus resale value.

The onle real reason im considering it is being able to find them, i suppose.

Heres another random but domewhat related question:

Spec B brakes: Are they too large to fit under regular LGT 17 inch Rims? What about base Legacy 16 inch Rims? And are regular LGT brakes able to fit under base Legacy 16 inch rims? Contemplating winter wheel selections for the snow...

Spec B has the same brakes.

If you're taking about STI Brembos, no they don't fit with stock wheels. Search, lots of info here.

LOL, sorry. I know better than to ask Newb questions, but im surfing while work files are cycling, so im trying not to be on the board too much.

Thanks for the answers though. I meant the Spec B stock brakes, so that works well.

Admrl,

I am in the same situation, I have a bead on one with a few more miles (54K). They want $17K or so, but I think I can squeeze a bit out.

My concern is I MUST have a 5MT, it's a given (with few exceptions). Seems like this is the car to get - drive one and see what you think (if not already).

lol... I located a pretty close to local 05 LGT with the 5MT, but its black. Haha... ive had a black car for the last 6 years, i was hoping for the red or the blue.

Oh wells, talking price now. If he plays ball, ill drive out saturday and check it out. Keeping the 5EAT in the back of my mind too. Its not ruled out, as this car is for DD dutie, not racing/heavy modding. ;)

Don't join the ranks of lazy asses that use DD as a sorry excuse...

DISCLAIMER: no offense meant to AT drivers. I am sure good AT folks here had a good reason to go with AT ;)

(ohhhh, so I am not banned again)

Reason why I got a 5-EAT-S:

5) I wanted an 07 wagon, only transmission offered

4) My girlfriend doesn't drive stick and she'll eventually have to use the car

3) I live in the San Francisco Bay Area that happens to be very hilly

2) I've never driven a stick

1) It's hard to light a joint and change gears at the same time

I don't know where you live, but the wife and I drove up to Berkely to move back our niece and happen to park by the faculty parking....I saw 2 LGT sedans w/ manual tranny with 'for sale' signs on the window amongst the countless Subies in the parking lot. Both looked stock and probably driven by an ex hippie proffesor.

Archived