LegacyGT.com

OEM Radio died in my 08 Outback XT

Over the last year the lights would occasionally blink on the unit and just pushing the faceplate in would remedy it. This week I went to turn it on and the lights come on but there is absolutely not response to any of the controls on the system with the exception that i was able to eject the 6 CDs I had in there. How difficult would it be to get a used radio out of a junker or something? I don't want to have to pay full price for a brand new stock unit from the dealer. Any advice appreciated.

Dave

Just so you know, and exchange unit can be ordered from the dealer rather than a new unit. The price will vary from dealer to dealer, but I charge $365 for them.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

I should clarify my post methinks.

I work for a Subaru dealer, and we can get rebuilt exchange units from the radio manufacturer. Your local dealer can get these as well should you decide to go that route.

I like to cook my pets and my family.

Use commas. Don't be a psycho.

• 2 weeks later...
I should clarify my post methinks.

I work for a Subaru dealer, and we can get rebuilt exchange units from the radio manufacturer. Your local dealer can get these as well should you decide to go that route.

Clarification is good! "Rebuilt" as in defective units have been "reconditioned." This means somebody knows the trouble spot. Shouldn't be too hard to find, mine is going bad and will have to be removed soon.

It's shaping up like the Forester clock problem...

"Remanufactured" means that they found the issue causing the problem and have repaired it, generally better than it was when it was new because they test everything multiple times after they do the initial repairs. I've purchased a lot of remanufactured electronics over the years and have had excellent luck with them and saved a good amount of $$$ doing it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a '08 GT yesterday and immediately noticed my radio/temp controls doing the same thing - blinking. I took it to the Subaru dealership yesterday and they said they never saw it happen and they could not tell me what was wrong.

Anybody had any luck fixing this?

Just for fun, clean and tighten the battery cables.

Early on the 05's had issues with those items not working from time to time. Re-start the car and all was fine.

Clean the battery terminals.

Since I've been keeping mine clean, I have not had more issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I just bought a '08 GT yesterday and immediately noticed my radio/temp controls doing the same thing - blinking. I took it to the Subaru dealership yesterday and they said they never saw it happen and they could not tell me what was wrong.

Anybody had any luck fixing this?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/radio-display-fix-142191.html

I have not tried this yet, the controls still come back after I press on the plate (lightly). I want to get into this fix before winter, as no heat control could be...bad.

Archived