LegacyGT.com

Well that didnt go well

Canon20D

So my throw out bearing was going.

I made an appointment with Fast in West Chester for today.

Drove over there today - about 50 miles. But about 5 miles from there traffic built up and the clutch got bad quick. Finally to the point where the peddle went down and it didnt come up.

Got a tow over to fast and they opened it up.

So they said it wasnt possible to fix with the normal snout kit. So they had a spare trans with a bad 2nd gear. So they swapped it out and put my gear in that housing. Got it all together but something isnt working right. If they cant get it, they said they will have to get a new trans. That was 6pm so they gave me a temp car and I went home.

Now Im wondering, a: is this housing shot? No hope?

Also what other options do I have.

Is there any option for a 6MT if I need to buy a new trans?

Week went from bad, to worse :(

10945777_10101193189585545_9010463916656598355_n.thumb.jpg.699fd3f13c339c68894becf514837f01.jpg

Looks pretty bad. It's tough to tell from a picture, but I would trust the experts working on it.

You could get a new trans for about $3500 or a used one for ??? and not know what shape it's in. A 6MT swap would be more than just the trans. It involves wiring harness, rear end, drive shaft, etc. If you are not looking at a high HP build, I would stay away from the 6MT and put a new 5MT back in and know what you've got. Or you could get it rebuilt from a good trans shop for ~$2500. Good luck!

naw man. Im looking to get it back together and running - If there is extra work to be done, Im not interested. I thought it would be a drop in 6MT to 5MT.

Im am in no fing shape to buy a brand new trans. I was hoping to get this completed for ~$1200. This S is getting expensive fast and I am not happy about it.

• Moderators

Check out car-part.com for possible transmission replacements. Also send a message to PMP Autogroup (pmpautogroup@gmail.com). Guy's name there is Peter, I've bought a handful of parts from him over the years, including my whole 6mt swap. He runs a yard that is full of subarus and may have what you need--located in Macungie, PA, I believe.

I believe you might need MY specific transmission, so just be aware of that and do your own research to be sure that whatever transmission you end up with will work.

Slightly separate note--why is the "repaired" transmission not working if they swapped in your good gear set? Seems like they should be able to get that one to work, even if they just move everything over.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Not sure if it's the correct MY. he said they looked at it and it appeared to be correct but when they put it back together it 'just didn't quite work'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"just didn't quite work" doesn't cut it for me. They should know what the issue is after disassembling / reassembling 2 transmissions.

I know that Rester has experience with them and they may be good, but honestly that doesn't sound like a lot of confidence for this specific issue.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Dave called me today, told me he took the trans out again, reshimmed the gear train, and everything fits well again.

He installed a south bend racing clutch, Fidenza SM flywheel (9.5lbs!), transfered the gear train into a new case, and did an oil change. for the princely sum of $2176. Guess its time to sell some stock...

Really its not that bad. Mainly the transmission case was the culprit.

Archived