LegacyGT.com

Uneven brake pad wear?

boxkita

replaced the rear brake pads. I thought the uneven wear on the pads had to do with how I drove. Both rears have almost full thickness on the piston side and minimal on the outside. Calipers have <3k miles. Nothing looks odd, but that doesnt mean much.

The fronts wear more on the outside pad, than the inner. So I thought this was normal. However, the rears wore down the disc as well on both sides, although the pad wear doesnt quite match the disc wear.

Picture shows left side rear pads with a brand new one for comparison.

Pads are Hawk DTC 70 on DBA4000 cryo discs. Both were installed new July 2012 and have <3k miles on them, same time as new calipers & hubs were put on.

Any ideas where to start looking? or is this a normal wear pattern?

rearPadWear.thumb.jpg.6d3db0f343c0aa5467f62b8477a7eeec.jpg

It's more of a weekend warrior, but they probably never got that warm. However, I've seen similar wear patterns on the HPS pads, too. Just not this extreme.

I guess I got my answer about driving race pads on the street. I will miss the wicked good stopping ability they had when warmed up.

Hmm, my HPS pads don't do that... at least not to that extent. I was going to say maybe it has something to do with the outer pads being cooler than the inner pads because the outer ones are exposed to more circulated air, and as a result, they wear down like crazy due to being out of their operating range.

yep, everything got done right. Looking at the parts when I took it apart, everything still looks good. Just the unnatural wear on the outside pad & disk surface, and much more so on the passenger rear.

Beginning to wonder if there is something else going on, as the left front pads wear much more quickly on the outside as well.

You might also want to also check that the pads move freely in the mounting bracket, and the the clips are clean and un-pitted, in addition to the slides and piston check. I've had several brands of pad that fit poorly and would bind up resulting in all sorts of weird wear (even within the same manufacturer).

Archived