LegacyGT.com

I need YOUR help!!!!

So here's the situation - I drive an '05 Legacy GT and have a '95 Legacy LS as my daily driver. My '95 crapped out on me a couple weeks ago and I finally had it towed to a local (trustworthy) mechanic. I couldn't quite understand what all needed to be fixed (he has a thick Korean accent) but among the $600 repairs is a water pump, timing belts, power steering fluid pump, and a few other things. Unfortunately I do not have $600 bucks to get the girl running (I accept doantions, PM me!) and here's the problem. I would love to keep the car stored somewhere but I don't have anywhere to store it while I save up some cash. I live in the city of Orange in Orange County-anyone have any ideas? The next issue is should I just sell it or not? Obviously it is not running so I don't think I could get much for it, but what do y'all think? Anyone interested? Third, is it worth fixing? I love the car (it was my first) and I believe it holds more sentimental value than real value. Should I save up, fix it, then sell it? I'm really in a bind as I have to have the car towed from the mechanics by Friday. I'm just asking for some suggestions/ideas. If anyone can understand the emotional attachment to a Subaru I know it's you guys. Thanks.

The timing belt snapped. The belt is around $50 and should take 3-5 hours to replace depending on the shop (this includes the the water pump replacement--you will also want to replace the belt tensioner). $600 seems a little high for the t-belt and water pump. Get some quotes from other reputable shops for timing belt/water pump/ and belt tensioner replacement.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

good point, but i'm moving this month and will not have a place to park the 95 on a permanent basis until it is fixed/sold. to the first two responses, there is more than just a water pump and timing belt to be repaired, that's just what I could understand over the phone. I'll go in today or tomorrow to get a print out of the full deal.

I feel your pain, my 95 just took a giant dump earlier this week. Not worth fixing. Too bad because the engine is still running, its everything else thats wearing out. Seals, ball joints, axle, and transmission. :lol:

Archived