LegacyGT.com

Quarter-million mile spec.B

Yesterday I broke a quarter million miles on my '06 spec.B. It's still running like a champ.

quartermillion1.jpg

quartermillion2.jpg

This is from earlier this week, hitting a few roads less traveled.

It's Stage-2, Cobb swaybars and springs around the OEM struts. A few other goodies added or fabricated along the way.

Damage along the way:

Driver side completely repainted and replaced rear door after a neighbor backed into it a couple years ago.

Passenger side completely repainted and replaced front door after a semi drifted into me and gave me a car-length long scrape.

Fifth gear broke in half about 10 months after a freak incident where I jumped if off a road onto an unfinished road 12" lower. I had the transmission looked at and replaced all the seals as well as the shaft with second gear. Otherwise, it looked good. (There's a long story involved there)

I had the turbo replaced under the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty around 95,000. It wasn't leaking oil badly, but I pushed to get it replaced and make my warranty worth it.

Replaced front 02 sensor around 175,000 miles.

Three wheel bearings have been replaced.

Original radiator started seeping at the top around 235,000

Put in new valve cover gaskets around 240,000.

Went through two sets of OEM endlinks. I put Rallitek ones on earlier this month. So far, about 2,000 miles trouble-free with them. I'm excited to see if I can wear them out with their 5-year warranty.

I vigorously maintain the car.

Hawk HP+ pads - lasted 120,000 miles

ACT HDSS clutch and lightened flywheel - lasted 145,000 miles

Tires, swap out ever year if I'm lucky.

5W-30 dino oil, changed every 7,500 miles

Original head gaskets. Engine has never been apart. My valvetrain saw light for the first time since the factory when I replaced the gaskets recently. Valvetrain patina looked better than some engines I've seen with half the miles.

There are a few parts that are approaching their end-of-life cycle. The last original wheel bearing is showing signs of wear but not quite to be replaced yet. I've replaced the seal on the power steering pump but it seems to be close to shot. My AC compressor clutch is also sounding like it may be nearing the end of life as well. My underside tray looks like it's been to hell and back. I'm going to make a new one this summer. Tie-rods and ball joints are solid.

-Clif

YES!!!

There was an article about a honda civic reaching a million miles. Then Honda gave that man a brand new honda civic. Maybe the same will happen with Subaru!!!

Although, I dont know if youd want to part with it after that!

Im about to hit 93k soon.

Keep on driving!

I took a while to get the car exactly how I like it. I haven't seen a car on the market before or since that I like more. I plan on driving until either it gets totaled in an accident or I'm buried in it. :)

For a couple years, I've been thinking about making a trip back to the plant in Indiana with it once I hit a quarter million. I need to check my calendar and maybe line up a Dallas-Lafayette road trip this summer.

-Clif

Or ~140mph... which would be ~225kph :p

In what unit of measure does 225 equal 1/4 of 1000?

I think you mean 155mph...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Or ~140mph... which would be ~225kph :p

Congratulations... but you know that picture would have been cooler if you were doing 120mph at the time ;-)

That had crossed my mind. Then I expected all the "you're an idiot for driving while taking a picture" backlash.

Besides, I had about a 100 yard window where my odometer and trip would show all the 9's. I would have been really upset with myself if you know, I had something like 250,000.3 miles for the photo. :)

That much time behind the wheel, you think about things like that quite a bit.

-Clif

:lol:

IBWhatKindOfOilFilter

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

:lol:

IBWhatKindOfOilFilter

Subaru.

It's kind of funny. I do 99% of the maintenance on the vehicle. Turbo inlet hose - me. Clutch swap - me. Etc. But, oil changes I get reimbursed for. So, I usually have that done at a dealership that I have a really good relationship with. Sometimes if I'm pinched for time I'll do them. But usually every 7,500 miles me and my mechanic put it up on the lift, poke around with flashlights and make sure everything is in ship shape. If something looks like it's going out or has changed significantly since the last oil change that hasn't caused a vibration, squeak or other type of indication, I learn about it there. Then, I'll grab the part there (if it's something I want to replace with OEM) and do the repair myself.

I've purchased two Legacies, two WRXs, an Outback, Forester and Tribeca and have generally used the same mechanic since around 2006. I can typically work out an arrangement that respects they're a for-profit business but I am taken care of.

-Clif

Pretty impressive.

Still on the original oil pickup? The other day I got spooked reading about how fragile they are and ordered a Killer B.

Haven't messed with oil pickup, banjo filter, etc. etc. All original.

You drive a lot. I have 280k...... on my 93 Impreza :lol:. Congrats!!!

:) About 50k a year. To go from 200k to 250k took about 54 weeks. I had a few slow weeks in early 2014 that I've been catching up on.

:) About 50k a year. To go from 200k to 250k took about 54 weeks. I had a few slow weeks in early 2014 that I've been catching up on.

2014? Damnn. Its a time traveling spec b too!

2014? Damnn. Its a time traveling spec b too!

:)

I guess it's 2013 isn't it? What year it is, what day of the week it is and what city/state I'm in are things I commonly get wrong. :lol:

I just did some math. If I continue to put miles on my legacy at the current rate(30,174 mi in 34months) it will take me 23.5 years to reach 250k.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Archived