LegacyGT.com

Considering 2009 Legacy GT

cdawg786

So my 2005 Legacy GT got totalled :( :(

Now I'm in the market for another legacy and was looking into a 2009 Legacy GT with about 50K miles on the clock. Been researching into the model and it appears that it has a build date of 06/08 with the last six of the VIN being 211910.

From reading about the engine issues that 2008 model year GTs were having wanted to know if this 09 model was also affected. Going to go check out the car in a few days and what should I be looking for in terms of engine noise etc on a test drive to make sure that the car engine does not have problems.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site. Moved this to pre-purchase sub-forum, where you'll likely get specific responses to your questions.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I would imagine all the engine issue would have surfaced by now. I would have no problem buying an 2009. (In fact I came very close to buying a 09 OBXT, I was aware of those failure and I was no concerned). I would be more worried about a modified car that returned to stock.

Thanks for the reply, anything to look out for that would tell me that it was modified in the past?? So you think with close to 50K miles on the odometer chances are fewer with this particular model having engine issues. The car was serviced recently with the fluids changed and oil change done at a Subaru dealer.

I forget, did Subaru ditch the banjo filters by 2009? If not, and that car still has the original ones, that's the first thing that should be done.... replace them or ditch them.

For any 05+ LGT, I recommend a pre-purchase compression test. Leakdown perhaps also. You've got to know if a ringland is about to come apart, it has burnt exhaust valves, or if someone ran it low on oil or something. Or just in general, if it has been abused.

Archived