LegacyGT.com

The Ultimate Snow Sedan, how would you build it?

Just a hypothetical thread in anticipation of the upcoming winter, what would you do to your sedan to make it the ultimate snow car? Height increasing suspension ala Audi Allroad? Roof rack with a thule box and rally lights? Pizza thin but tall studded snow tires? Heated steering wheel? Buy a wagon? :lol:

And...GO!

weeeellllll..... aside from Chutrain's OBVIOUS winner.... I'll play.

Start with and Outback Sedan SUS with a 3.6 Tribeca motor. Put an air suspension capable of 3" of vertical lift for those big banks, along with some STEEL rims and dedicated snow tires with an active tire pressure monitoring system that allows you to increase/decrease tire pressure on demand (and actually give you an accurate reading) Heated seats with bottom and back heaters that are a little better controlled. A solar powered block heater (not sure if one exists, but you don't wanna drag an extension cord across 3 ft of snow :lol:) Electric assisted heat for instant heat on those cold mornings and dual batteries for reserve if you happen to get stranded (by choice of course ;) ) with your girl on a back country road.

Of course I'd put a nice rack in.... um on it too with a bull-bar on the front and some off road lights and some actually functional fog lights.

I seem to recall a simpler time. My 92 civic Si with all season tires never failed to get us north to VT every winter weekend until I bought the 98' GT wagon. Never missed one of my son's ski race team meets either. 34+mpg alway's helped too.

Auh the good old day's...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

rallitec skidplate, 205-50-17 winter tires on dedicated rims, height adjustable coilovers for an extra inch of ground clearance in winter... wait, thats what i have... It works great. I take my landcruiser whenever the snow gets too deep, but nothing beats the subaru on ice.

Assuming Heavy winter-long snows and most driving will be on roads (paved or otherwise)

LGT or Spec.B Sedan

Engine block heater

Battery warmer

1" Lift

Subaru 4-pot front calipers with WRX rotors

16x5" snow rally rims

Studded rally snow tires

Hella 500 FF Foglights with Amber filters aimed properly and independant of headlights.

Yakima roof basket with 2 spares

Dunebuggy safety whip with orange flag

If a lot of driving will be off-road, switch the 16" rims for Team Dynamics or BRAID 15" rims and get a set of good 27" M+S off-road tires with studs.

Regardless, every car in the winter should have an emergency kit:

First Aid Kit

Flashlight

Blanket

Cell charger

Shovel

Flares

Comealong

Tow Strap

2' long 1x6 board

And check the air pressure in your spare and that all of your tirechange tools (jack, jack handle, wrenches, etc) are in the car and functional.

Driving a Subaru in the snow? Ridiculous. They're summer cars.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeFp3tz95HQ]YouTube - legacy gt, wrx and z24 playing in the snow[/ame]

you mean this was wrong of me to do ?

:confused:

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Ok so she burns a bit of oil?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9E9vsP2VU]YouTube - SAV 389 - Cuthbertson Tracked Land Rover[/ame]

She's paid for! :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im3LVWqlPEk]YouTube - SAV 389 - Cuthbertson Tracked Land Rover[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qrouph3410&p=98F54549C1228C1C&playnext=1&index=1]YouTube - Seattle drivers just don't know how to drive in the snow[/ame]

I am thinking a Forester with a roof rack will do the trick....

you mean this was wrong of me to do ?

:confused:

Oh noes, you've done got snow on the Legacy! She's surely going to melt! No wonder you need to drop a new engine in her - tell the truth, the OEM just rusted out, didn't it?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived