LegacyGT.com

no-name stainless headers

Anybody have the eBay/generic UEL stainless headers on their 2.5 legacies? I've been trying to find a good soundclip online but I'm only coming up with 4th gen turbo legacies that have dual exhaust. I'd really like to hear what it would sound like on our cars.

I checked out zeus' list of aftermarket parts he just updated and was surprised to see you can get those headers for about $130 shipped. Is the deal too good to be true or are they a worthwhile upgrade? I'd probably pair it with a vibrant muffler. $300 for headers and a muffler isn't bad lol

i whore these vids out, i realize, but its my favorite Subaru exhaust..so turn up the subs

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOTYTo8nKaE]Subaru Legacy Vibrant Performance Exhaust Clip - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WHAruAI3PA]Subaru Legacy Full 2.5" Exhaust - YouTube[/ame]

the speedyracer UEL headers are actually a better alternative to the expensive Borla ones, in the opinions of everyone except those who attempt to justify spending $400+ on n/a headers

the borlas are prone to cracking due to their construction, i dont really need another reason against them than that.

the 'walls' of the speedyracer headers are slightly thinner, which results in a vaguely audible valve chatter noise...honestly, it's miniscule enough in my experiences that you are probably the only one that will be able to notice it without paying attention,

to remedy this is simple; 50'x2" of header wrap will stifle the chatter noise and also increase exhaust flow, further improving the effectivness of the aftermarket headers, thankfully, we dont need to worry about salt here on the winter roads so high temp header spray is optional, but not required

also, unlike the videos above, stick with a 2.25" exhaust piping if you choose to complete the exhaust. (unless you are running upgraded internals - e.g. port/polis, cam grinds, etc) 2.5" will cause you to lose too much backpressure...which in turn leads to a loss of what little power is there as well as about 2-4MPG, which is pretty much gold..

Damn, that sounds nice!

I never paid attention when I was under the car, but can the muffler and headers just bolt on or would I need to take it to an exhaust shop and have it welded? It would be pretty sweet if I could just buy the parts and bolt them on myself.

The headers will bolt on with a little muscle but he muffler needs to be welded.

the heads to the header: (3) 14mm bolts on each side... should be super easy

the headers to the cats: (2) 14mm bolts and they. are. a. bitch. to get off of a ~20y.o. car, def. take the heat shields off but expect heavy resistance as i was only able to get at them with a wrench, from under the car... gave up after an hour and took it to a shop in CD'A... for about $20, they threw it on

muffler mart on division, they did my mandrel bent catback, resonator and vibrant muffler for something like $200 i think

Dang, that's pretty cheap. Is that price including the muffler and resonator or just the pipe, welding and labor? I love how affordable things are on the east side.

Side note - why does everyone on here love these vibrant mufflers? I'd never heard of them before.

i had the muffler in a box already,

labor, resonator and piping were in that price, cant imagine a header install being too much more... took only ..20 mins... maybe..

for me, i gambled on the Vibrant because i couldn't find any legacy-specific exhaust clips at the time, and it seemed that all of the imprezas have huge 3-5" cannons off the back, not my style..

but i ended up loving the setup!, like i said, became my fave n/a subaru exhaust ever

Archived