LegacyGT.com

water pump at 105k service? - WAY OT

subie.snob

A week ago I bought a 2005 LGT with ~106k on it. The timing belt service hadn't been done yet so I've been calling around for quotes. There is a reputable subaru tech in my area and he told me that he usually doesn't recommend doing the water pump unless it is needed.

I've read and searched through the forums so I can try to make an educated decision.. It seems like most people are replacing the water pump when they do their timing belts since they are already in there. Is this necessary? How often is it that we have to worry about water pumps going? The car I was driving before was a 97 Legacy w/213k and it never had the water pump done. Do you guys think that the extra $250 or so is worth the piece of mind?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users

I know someone that has 153k on his water pump. He will likely chime in soon.

It's one of those, "while you are in there" scenarios, which I'm an advocate of. Others are "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

I will replace mine when I do my timing belt at 105k.

Hopefully others will weigh in to help you make your decision. Good Luck.

P.S. Read the stickies on the top of the forums to educate yourself about this car. Because it's turbocharged, it comes with baggage. If you are bringing the car to the shop, bring it to one that knows Subarus. Make sure they remove the banjo bolts if they have not already done so. Change your oil at 3000-3500 miles with a fully synthetic oil that's not Mobil1, preferably Rotella T 5w-40. Always check your oil.

Search the forums, they have a TON of info especially about your car. You have a nice ride. Welcome

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users
Your car is shares little similarities to your old 97. Our family had one of those too, and it was a tank. All you had to do was change the oil every once and a while. These cars are different, and require much more attention.

I realize there is a big difference between this and my old vehicle. This is my 5th Subaru, so while I don't know everything, I do know a little.

I'm pretty sure that I'm all set on the banjo filter front. Either it was already removed (haven't checked yet) or this car has a magical set that doesn't gum up because the turbo runs fine. It is something I plan on checking out though.

As far as oil goes, I changed it on Friday and I'm running Rotella T6 (5w-40).

Only $37 more? I'll have to look into that more. I wasn't planning on doing the service myself. I live in an apartment complex, so I don't really have the space to do too much. I think they would be mad enough knowing I did my oil and brakes in their parking lot. Two of the places I called that specialize in Subaru's (and weren't dealers) said it would be $200-$250 extra for the water pump (including thermostat and whatnot). One of them recommended doing it, while the other didn't.

• Mega Users

i strongly recommend buying the parts (gates timing belt kit) and bringing them to one of those shops that you know. The kit has everything you need

my situation is slightly different than yours as I will be doing mine myself.

I might end up going that route! Thanks for the info. I will have to find out if either place is willing to use my parts. It would save me a decent bit of $$ especially since it includes the idler pulleys, which neither quote did. They said it would be $50 a piece if I needed those done.

• Mega Users
dont buy from a shop. try to buy from a vendor on here, they give the best prices, and customer service. just look in the vendor section. I buy most of my stuff from Infamous.

• Mega Users

this is a no brainer. this kit with the water pump is cheaper than the fredbeans kit WITHOUT the water pump. And you get free shipping.....

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-76/Gates-Racing-Complete-Subaru/Detail

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-992/OEM-Subaru-Thermostat/Detail

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-993/OEM-Subaru-Thermostat-Gasket/Detail

360 out the door complete with everything

I just bought the kit from a member here in the forsale section for a lot less.

It's purdent to replace the water pump if your not sure of the history of the engine.

On my 92 Honda civic, I changed out the anti freeze every two years. Ran that water pump for 200,000 miles.

With all the labor involed in replacing just the water pump, your better off to do it these cars.

The timing belt job is pretty easy if you have a clue about mechanical things. I did mine back about 3-4 years ago and spent around $500 just in parts and fluids. When you cost up all the pieces then the labor you can see why its a $1000 job.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm going with the Gates kit when it's time. I'm not sure how many shops will be happy with carry-in parts. The shop expects to make a few bucks on the kit, and if it fails I'm not sure they back up walk-in parts. I don't get the bad talk about Mobil 1. I have used the EP in the LGT and it consumes no oil and runs fine at 103,000 miles.

I'm going with the Gates kit when it's time. I'm not sure how many shops will be happy with carry-in parts. The shop expects to make a few bucks on the kit, and if it fails I'm not sure they back up walk-in parts. I don't get the bad talk about Mobil 1. I have used the EP in the LGT and it consumes no oil and runs fine at 103,000 miles.

I was thinking the same thing about them not backing their work if you don't use their parts...

I've heard mobil1 isn't good because it loses viscosity quicker than other oils, especially with the added heat from a turbo.

I know someone that has 153k on his water pump. He will likely chime in soon.

:rolleyes: I know you not talking about me. Because I'm still rocking the original water pump & idler pulleys at 194k:eek::).

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Thanks! I need to call the shop doing the work to see if they will even let me bring parts in. I wish I had a garage! From what I have been reading it is tedious but not too hard. I would do it myself if I had the space and time. :(

The shop may charge you a different labor rate if you bring your own parts.

Either way, if you begin to use this shop for all the work you don't want to do and you become a long time customer, it will save you money in the long run.

The shops I deal with I have known for over 20 years, know me when I walk in and take care of me on pricing or give a nice discount for cash.

Make sure if your happy with the work you send friends there and tell them to use your name.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mike has a bypass AMSOIL oil filtration system, his stuff is very nicely lubricated. Generally parts will last much longer with that kind of setup than a car with a conventional system.

Water pump and idlers have nothing to do with the oil circulation system.

gates kit with water pump. get a subaru water pump gasket instead of using the provided gates one- its paper, and sucky.

Why Gates over Subaru OEM?

:rolleyes: I know you not talking about me. Because I'm still rocking the original water pump & idler pulleys at 194k:eek::).

You sir, have a set of balls which must require a bra to carry.

re-read my post, i said get a subaru gasket instead of using the gates one (because the gates one is paper, and paper gaskets suck). the subaru one is a metal/rubber type

The Gates parts are very very similar if not the same as OEM and are top quality for the long haul.

My water pump and pulleys at 105K were in great shape no bearing drag or flats spots when rotating. Im sure they could have went to 200K :)

Archived