LegacyGT.com

Dream Lease Deal - 2008 Legacy 2.5i SE

Catsmeow

I find myself in the position of needing to acquire a new Subaru using a short-term 24 month lease and desire to hook up with the Subaru lease that offers the greatest value and lowest overall cost and monthly payment.

After doing a bit of online research, perusing the newspapers and calling my insurance carrier, it appears that a two year lease on a new 2008 Legacy 2.5i SE currently offers hands down the most bang-for-the-buck both in terms of cost-per-mile and total cost of lease.

The above in mind, I am a leasing nOOb having always purchased new vehicles outright in the past without a trade-in and am unfamiliar with how to determine what would be the best possible lease deal a value-conscious buyer could hope to put together in the current market.

Where I live in western Pennsylvania there are nine Subaru dealerships within approximately an hour's drive of my home, some of them advertsing 'Sign-and-Drive' 10,000 mile per year leases on '08 Legacy 2.5i SEs with automatic transmission for $269 month (taxes excluded). Of course if one dealership offers it, they all can or even better in a competitive buyer's marketplace.

What I would like to put together is a 'Sign-and-Drive' 24 month, relatively low mileage (12K/year) lease for an '08 QSM Legacy 2.5i SE with manual transmission with no options except splash guards for $250/month (taxes included) or less.

Is this possible using all possible and currently available factory- to-customer and factory-to-dealer incentives? Can Subaru's VIP pricing program or suchlike factor in here to lower the monthly payment even more?

As stated earlier, I've never personally leased a vehicle but did set up the framework of a 'Sign-and-Drive' lease for a family member about a year ago for a 2006 Impreza 2.5i wagon with manual transmission for approx $205/month which I thought was a very good deal at the time. OTOH, another family member got caught up in the new Subaru frenzy on the same day and without doing any advance research or preparation got hustled into paying about $350/month for a 2006 Impreza OBS with automatic transmission. Same lease term, same mileage allotment as the $205/month lease.

In any case, the point I'm trying to make with the above two examples is that good if not great leases can be be had only if the buyer/lessee is on top of things and doesn't allow emotion to overcome common sense.

Your help, advice & comments would be greatly appreciated.
:)

I would suggest to email each dealer and tell them exactly what you want (model, mileage, options) all clearly listed in the email. Tell them to give you a price ($0 down payment) for the total monthly fee (all taxes, registration, any fees, etc). Also explain that you will be emailing 9 dealers and choosing the one with the lowest price.

Let them know they are competing! Hopefully they will give you a rock bottom price from the getgo.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Western PA, eh? I'm from the Pittsburgh area...

I do not know exactly what you're after, but I know that I leased an 05 LGT (in 2005) and it was a 36 mo. 12k mile lease for $208 / month. Of course, I traded an 'upside-down' Impreza which may have affected my payments.

I had great experiences with Suburban Subaru in the North Hills (15237), but they were bought out by the high-powered Beirl group last year. I don't know about their services or sales people now, but they treated me quite well on two prior Subie purchases before. I mistakingly did not buy my current Legacy 2.5i from them...

Good luck!

Zim

Western PA, eh? I'm from the Pittsburgh area...
Say Hey Zim .. and thanks for your reponse.

I'm from the Blairsville area in southern Indiana County & a mere stone's throw away from Westmoreland County. We're located about 45 to 50 miles east of Pittsburgh on U.S. Route 22.

I do not know exactly what you're after, but I know that I leased an 05 LGT (in 2005) and it was a 36 mo. 12k mile lease for $208 / month. Of course, I traded an 'upside-down' Impreza which may have affected my payments.
I'm looking to lease a no frills 2008 QSM Legacy 2.5i SE with manual transmission & splash guards. That's it: no wing, no all-weather floor mats, no Homelink rearview mirror, no trade. My 'target' monthly payment is $250 or less for a 12K/year lease, tax & tip included.

As regards your Legacy lease numbers: all else being equal, I would call that a 'Dream Lease' but not knowing the numbers associated with your 'upside-down' Impreza makes it a case of comparing apples to oranges, rather than apples to apples.

I had great experiences with Suburban Subaru in the North Hills (15237), but they were bought out by the high-powered Beirl group last year. I don't know about their services or sales people now, but they treated me quite well on two prior Subie purchases before.

We have three other Subarus in my extended family: a 2003 Impreza TS Sport Wagon, a 2006 Impreza 2.5i Wagon & a 2006 Impreza OBS. The '03 was special ordered through Spangler Subaru in Johnstown, while both '06 Imprezas were bought off the lot at Hamilton Subaru in Irwin.

I never dealt with Suburban Subaru but if I include its successor Baierl Subaru in my list of area dealers, that makes ten within an approximate one hour's drive of home. One would reasonably think that I could find what I want at the price I hope to pay given there are ten dealerships in my market area potentially competing for my business.

I mistakingly did not buy my current Legacy 2.5i from them...
Who did you 'mistakenly' buy your Legacy 2.5i from? I'll be sure to put them at the bottom of my list. :rolleyes: If you don't want to reveal the dealership's name publically, PM me with their name if it suits you: I'd really like to know.

Good luck!

Zim

Many thanks .. I'll be sure to let everyone know how things eventually go down.

;)

Buy the consumer reports car report for the 2008 OB and it will give you all the bargaining power and advice you need.

I just leased a fully loaded 2007 OB limited with 15K a year for 36 months for $310 a month with tax, $1500 OOP.

I love the car, the payment, and my insurance went down from the Leggy GT because the turbo adds to the insurance risk. Also, can put cheap gas in this one. No more premium. :lol:

Archived