LegacyGT.com

Bilstein HD review

bosco

as you all know today was the big Bilstein install day at bosco's. first off i want to thank Steve, Rob, Rich and Ryan for a job well done. no problems with install just make sure you have a "pass though socket" for the top hats other than that a straight forward R/R.

on to the good part, the ride is much firmer but not in a bad way it's hard to put into words but the car actually rides and takes bumps better. before with the stock struts/shocks it felt like the suspension was over whelmed when you hit a bump it was almost like it wasn't sure what to do, much better control now. squat and dive are vastly improved car seems much more secure even after only a few miles. so far i am very pleased with the results can't wait to put the good rubber on.

now to the height issue the car measures within a 1/8" give or take of the Tein H-Tech set-up. btw with the H-Techs/stock shocks it was 25 1/8" front and 25" rear pretty much exactly what it is now. to make this even more accurate and to take out any optical illusion i measured the bottom metal ridge of the rocker panel and it was 5 1/2" front and 5 9/16" rear. in other words the car is level the tape doesn't lie.

all in all i am very pleased with the out come and would recommend this set-up for those who want a better suspension without having to buy someones used parts.

parts list:

Bilstein HD shocks $551.79 http://www.allshocks.com

STI pink springs LGT mt # ST 2033021010 $431.00 http://www.racecompengineering.com

JDM top hats # 20320AG01A mount strut front appox. $100.00 pr. see your dealer

you also need to purchase dust seals for the JDM top hats you stock ones will not work

reuse your spring perches F/R and the rear top hats. done

the spring rates of the H-Tech's vs the pinks are close as far as i can see so maybe just the shocks would do the trick i just wanted to be sure by using the pinks.

a few pics of my day thanks again. :icon_bigg bosco

first three pics are the Teins

fourth is ASA 17x7.5 w/Goodyear F1's new shoes

next six is the pit crew

last five are the pinks

IMG_0155.thumb.jpg.6663eca2e8708d0771e2109b897908e8.jpg

IMG_0156.thumb.jpg.8325d12b966c021ed9a4983aafa38b92.jpg

IMG_0157.thumb.jpg.5ecab865175d7e84cc674ce2d329e817.jpg

IMG_0162.thumb.jpg.890d45df3eb67effef8be267bbbb796f.jpg

IMG_0165.thumb.jpg.427d5699e183b6e6fbe6484f6f8fc62a.jpg

IMG_0166.thumb.jpg.3d644aac85e38bb6979d9320087b1726.jpg

IMG_0167.thumb.jpg.09f894880775ed1b5b740a3b225caea1.jpg

IMG_0168.thumb.jpg.9275b419cb21513f43d87d9a4e67a487.jpg

IMG_0169.thumb.jpg.758b5befae042b9f890884b41f2dcdc6.jpg

IMG_0170.thumb.jpg.41d8843e6e3e059a55559371ff9b0e78.jpg

IMG_0172.thumb.jpg.887322b923063a9b8e45a46c10cb6324.jpg

IMG_0174.thumb.jpg.d61ad7f59ada856b8b4592b8279de40e.jpg

IMG_0175.thumb.jpg.37bdade9dfd9d7529541930306a892dc.jpg

IMG_0176.thumb.jpg.20b131b44c03c9d6bb3c625f0ebe71ca.jpg

IMG_0179.thumb.jpg.c93c2b9a3de0225a537c16b9f1fd9ab4.jpg

IMG_0180.thumb.jpg.0ba4b1ec1f242f0a72deb723c46da156.jpg

Stay Stock Stay Happy

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
didnt you have to get new front tophats? so you HAD htechs? how do they compare ridewise?

yes on the JDM top hats i corrected post. yes on the H-tech's pics are before and after. new combo much tighter much better feel. ride is subjective but so far i am happy with the ride would not want it any firmer for me. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

cool. i'm glad is worked out for you. i ordered the USDM spec B front top mounts which are a different part number than what you posted. are you sure you didn't use 20320AG000? i don't see how they could have two different bilstein style mounts in the US.

you said you reused the stock perches, do you mean the stock spring seats (underneath the mounts)? i'm trying to make sure i have everything that i need to pre-assemble everything prior to removing the stock setup. this is what I ordered in addition to the struts/springs:

20320AG000 - Front Strut Mount - $47.50/ea

20323AG000 - Front Spring Seat - $9.75/ea

20370AG000 - Rear Strut Mount - $26.00/ea

20375AE000 - Rear Rubber Spring Seat - $10.50/ea

cool. i'm glad is worked out for you. i ordered the USDM spec B front top mounts which are a different part number than what you posted. are you sure you didn't use 20320AG000? i don't see how they could have two different bilstein style mounts in the US.

you said you reused the stock perches, do you mean the stock spring seats (underneath the mounts)? i'm trying to make sure i have everything that i need to pre-assemble everything prior to removing the stock setup. this is what I ordered in addition to the struts/springs:

20320AG000 - Front Strut Mount - $47.50/ea

20323AG000 - Front Spring Seat - $9.75/ea

20370AG000 - Rear Strut Mount - $26.00/ea

20375AE000 - Rear Rubber Spring Seat - $10.50/ea

20320AG01A is correct have tag in front of me i think i recall it's the number for an '07 spec b. all parts needed are listed in the first post you can do it your way then your stock set is ready to sell/install but the rest is not really needed. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Hello, I'm Mr. Bosco's spokesperson. Thank you for coming, and I'll take any questions you have at this time...

so you selling the htechs?

Yes he is

Still using stock sways?

No he is not. Mr Bosco is running Cusco sways front and rear.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Hello, I'm Mr. Bosco's spokesperson. Thank you for coming, and I'll take any questions you have at this time...

Yes he is

No he is not. Mr Bosco is running Cusco sways front and rear.

WOW thanks i feel like i finally made it to the big time. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Nice! I thought you were goin to sell?

if you mean the car at one time i did want to sell but changed my mind. this modding crap is to much fun to quit now. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I think the pinks made your cars higher. Open both pics next to each other, befor/after.

Looking good!:)

I guess the Legacys just seems to sit lower in the rear, and I'm just seeing that on my install....

Looking at some of the pics from the 2007 Tokoyo salon....I see plenty of Legacys and wagons sitting even....

I'm happy with the ride!

Bosco....do you have the LCA offset bushings?? You must get!!

Here is another pic of mine....camers is dead. Too busy to recharge..

Full tank of gas.

924912113_lgtsuspension008.thumb.jpg.df01451a578cbe9872e50948eea960d7.jpg

on to the good part, the ride is much firmer but not in a bad way it's hard to put into words but the car actually rides and takes bumps better. before with the stock struts/shocks it felt like the suspension was over whelmed when you hit a bump it was almost like it wasn't sure what to do, much better control now. squat and dive are vastly improved car seems much more secure even after only a few miles. so far i am very pleased with the results can't wait to put the good rubber on.

are you comparing your new set-up to stock springs or Htech on the stock struts?

anyway, your car is looking good. I think it sits a little higher that stock/htech combo. i can't wait to get my hands on my pinks :) i will also post a review here since i am a wagon and coming from stock.

I think the pinks made your cars higher. Open both pics next to each other, befor/after.

Looking good!:)

I guess the Legacys just seems to sit lower in the rear, and I'm just seeing that on my install....

Looking at some of the pics from the 2007 Tokoyo salon....I see plenty of Legacys and wagons sitting even....

I'm happy with the ride!

Bosco....do you have the LCA offset bushings?? You must get!!

Here is another pic of mine....camers is dead. Too busy to recharge..

Full tank of gas.

if the car is higher than before it's not enough to worry about might settle some also measure the rocker panels to the ground that will tell you right away if it's level or not and how much it's off if any. might be something to the difference in sedan/wagon specific spring length in the rear. what will LCA bushing do? i agree the ride about the ride but i does ride firm. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

For a few bucks, I'm ordering the Wagon rear springs for the AT.....I guess I should have bought them in the first place??

The added castor really makes the car feel on rails at highway speed. Helps out with our weak/funky power steering rack. You can feel the center through the wheel much more so, the wheel snaps back to center with no side-to-side rocking.

Turn in is crisp. I don't know what else to say, other than give it a try on someone elses car around you?? It was around $100...many different types to try out.

are you comparing your new set-up to stock springs or Htech on the stock struts?

anyway, your car is looking good. I think it sits a little higher that stock/htech combo. i can't wait to get my hands on my pinks :) i will also post a review here since i am a wagon and coming from stock.

comparing to the Teins vs the pinks. a stock suspended car rides much softer than this almost Buick like :lol: the car rides much firmer than before but i think it's b/c the shock valving is greater car used to float a little but not now.

another thing you'll notice is the squat/dive is much improved. so far i like the improvement any "more" would be to much for my old fat ass. good luck i hope this helps. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

For a few bucks, I'm ordering the Wagon rear springs for the AT.....I guess I should have bought them in the first place??

The added castor really makes the car feel on rails at highway speed. Helps out with our weak/funky power steering rack. You can feel the center through the wheel much more so, the wheel snaps back to center with no side-to-side rocking.

Turn in is crisp. I don't know what else to say, other than give it a try on someone elses car around you?? It was around $100...many different types to try out.

will look into it. thanks btw the garage crew said i should also look into steering bushings for the power steering rack. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

So any springs with similar spring rate to the Pinks will work? Cobb springs?

i don't know the answer to that but i don't see why not. i only bought pinks b/c they have slightly less drop and everyone raves about them. they do seem to work though :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

^^some1 needs to change their siggy :lol:

right i know lead by example :lol: actually i'm to far gone now to save the sig is there for those who might be saved from this modding madness. send money. :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived