LegacyGT.com

Yakima Racks

I got a 05 sedan. What is the best setup for front moutnign assesories for the front my bike? I have a norco rival, want the yaki setup, but not sure what front fork tie down is best..any one with expereince??

Lets see some pics tooo!

Guest LGT-NY

My experience with Yakima was when my Girlfriend and I were driving on the highway up to Tahoe and four snowboards flew off the roof of my girls car into traffic. And yes, I'm sure I put it on right, and yes it was tight. The mounts on the board carriers actully snapped right off. I have a Thule on my car and I love it. It is my fourth car and my fourth Thule. F*CK Yakima! Sorry, i'm passionate about the subject. I loved that board.:icon_cry:

But seriously, I would stay away from Yakis, they are just not as well made as the Thules.

Guest LGT-NY
^ I've never heard anyone say that before.

I have the Raptor on my Yakima rack. Holds the bike with the front wheel on.

Me either dude.

Guest LGT-NY

^ Looks SICK! I powder coated my stockers too. Gunmetal on OBP though. Your brave taking that slammed ass Leggy into the woods.:lol:

I'm diggin the Panda effect you got goin on. Very Nice Matt.

Thanks guys.

LGT-NY - I'm running Sti pinks w/ stock shocks.

Jim - mine is the Covert. more of a x-country single track machine. I do some freeride/ jumping with it as well though.

My experience with Yakima was when my Girlfriend and I were driving on the highway up to Tahoe and four snowboards flew off the roof of my girls car into traffic. And yes, I'm sure I put it on right, and yes it was tight. The mounts on the board carriers actully snapped right off. I have a Thule on my car on I love it. It is my fourth car and and fourth Thule. F*CK Yakima! Sorry, i'm passionate about the subject. I loved that board.:icon_cry:

But seriously, I would stay away from Yakis, the are just not as well made as the Thules.

Hmm, on my previous car, I've ridden on my Yakima rack. Yes, alcohol was involved. I've also had 3 bikes on the roof doing 100+ mph out in the middle of nowhere, and alcohol was not involved. 3 bikes on the roof really kills your gas mileage especially at 100+ mph.

Guest LGT-NY
That's a sick ride you got there Matt!

LGT-NY, nice to see you have the same exact car I've got, 07 LGT OBP.

Except you are a step ahead of me on the engine. ;)

Hell yeah bro, you gotta love that Si Drive. Are you modded at all yet?

Random question for you rack guys, since I'm considering racks for surf/snowboards. Does the clamp ruin the weatherstrip seal in the doors? I saw on a totally separate vehicle one afternoon how the seal was all messed, torn and pulled away at the clamping point.

Guest LGT-NY
It does not really "ruin" the seal but it definitely deforms it to the shape of clamp, but it goes away after a little while of having the rack off. It does however, scratch/scuff your roof a bit where the feet sit. Just make sure you thoroughly clean the area beneath the feet prior to installation. The small sratches are a small price to pay for the utility of having the rack.

I used to sell Yakima and Thule. I have installed both brands onto many, many cars, and I always have liked Yakima better. They fit better, they are more user friendly, their customer service is better, the list goes on.

On my car, I have the one that clamps onto my weatherstripping, and have on my past three cars, and have never damaged anything due to the racks. No scratches or anything, just keep everything clean. I did fail to strap a kayak onto my car once and launched a car down my hood and sent it cartwheeling down the street once, though.

I just bought the Thule setup for my car. I haven't installed it yet but took the attachment points out and they cleared the windows just fine and it didn't look like they squish the weather stripping at all.

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

I've got a Thule setup that I've used for 2 seasons without problem, and no damage to the door seals. It was a bit of a b*tch getting them on the car the first time, but after that its been easy take them off and put them back on since they seem to hold the spacing well. Knocks a good 2-3mpg off your average tho....

Guest LGT-NY
^ Oh yeah, at least. I drove 6.5 hours up to Jay Peak VT. Avg. MPG 13. Ouch, that was with three people, 4 boards on the roof and a truck full of gear.

my setup

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/legacygt/websize/subaru%20012_1.jpg

By the looks of the bar placement and where the wheels land I think I might be able to get away with purchasing a BOA rather than the Copperhead.

Archived