LegacyGT.com

Relief from catless DP stench, finally!

GTTuner

Fumes constantly. Whenever any window is open and I peg the boost gauge. Even when the car was new I'd get cat stench at times inside. Anyone else suffer from this? I read it all the time in here. This worked so good for me so I had to share it. The only time I smell my exhaust now is when I get out. Fumes are gone. Almost 100%.

Go in the trunk and find these vents/exhausters. One on both sides behind the trunk liner. To my knowledge, their main purpose is to vent the cabin when the doors shut. Seal the bastards off. I used a sheet of asphalt/dynamat type of material and just layed it over the opening. No more passengers bitching about headaches too! :lol:

001.JPG.be7af09cf1cea3d842ae5ef2973d6894.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those are supposed to be a pressure relief, for both doors and the HVAC. When you put the system on re-circ, the cabin pressure is neutral. When you have it set to fresh air, the cabin pressure is positive. You have to have a place for the air to go, and that's what those vents are for.

You'll probably notice a drop in heater performance come winter.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I know, I'll crack a window open and save the CO poisoning for later. :lol:

It was raining the other day and the defroster worked perfect.

Paul you could move to TX and never use your heater again :)

But cops use the stalker laser gun on the highways here :( very expensive to jam, can't see them at night either... but other than that!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I know, I'll crack a window open and save the CO poisoning for later. :lol:

It was raining the other day and the defroster worked perfect.

Neat idea did you try only one at first ? or both ? I only ask b/c I have a buddy with the same issue after a custom Flow Master exhaust and catless DP and this could help

Neat idea did you try only one at first ? or both ? I only ask b/c I have a buddy with the same issue after a custom Flow Master exhaust and catless DP and this could help

Both sides. :) It works, try it, you can always pull it off if you don't like it.

• 1 year later...

Ok, so I'm having this fume issue... I went to pull the side panels yesterday and couldn't see how it came apart in my wagon...? Is it all snap-clips or are there fasteners somewhere? Could someone give me a few tips please?

TIA!

• 7 months later...

I know this thread is a couple years old, but THANK YOU GTTuner!!!

I recently went stage 2 with cat-less DP. I was pretty certain I didn't have an exhaust leak - but when driving with any windows open even just a crack it would fill the car with nasty fumes.. I was pretty sure the vacuum of opening a window was sucking exhaust in from somewhere - but couldn't find it.

I found this thread last night and yelled "BINGO!"

I pulled the mat back, and went one step further than you. I pulled those vents out completely leaving just a gaping hole there.. I used plastic film and duct tape to completely seal that hole off on both sides.

Went to work today, got on the highway and cracked the sunroof - SUCCESS!!!! No more smell!! Thank you very much! You saved me some aggravation of trying to find a non-existing exhaust leak!!

:D

I'm here to help, I'm glad it worked for you. You have no idea how crazy this made me figuiring this out. I was passing out one day from CO exposure and I stopped somewhere and open the trunk. Owww, the smell was strong.

Breath easy now Larry!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
not sure if the OP had a wrapped DP but my new setup just smells like a bakery during this break-in period. No complaints here. DEI wrap smoked a little in the first 50 or so miles, and im sure the silicone coating was the butter on my bread. mmm Im hungry.

Link to these cats please? I hate running catless. If nothing else, it gives you away when 5-0 is following you and entering your plate number in his laptop. Once he smells you, it doesn't matter how clean your record is; you're probably getting pulled over.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

And you are why we are killing our planet.

There are EPA compliant catalytic converters that are designed for use on high performance cars with no restriction to flow. Why wouldn't you have one?

because IDGAF.

and if you honestly think that the amount of cars in the US running catless is going to have ANY sort of noticeable effect on polution levels, than you are ignorant.

Hell, there's enough prii in california alone to negate any of that shit. If you want to seriously bitch about pollution, bitch about developing countries like china and india who are undergoing rapid industrial growth with little to no pollution controls and a massive expansion of the number of vehicles on the road that burn nearly unrefined fuel, not a few cars in the US running high quality gasoline with catless exhausts.

Step down off the high horse, please.

Edited by derp
I could suck start a snow blower.

because IDGAF.

and if you honestly think that the amount of cars in the US running catless is going to have ANY sort of noticeable effect on polution levels, than you are ignorant.

Hell, there's enough prii in california alone to negate any of that shit. If you want to seriously bitch about pollution, bitch about developing countries like china and india who are undergoing rapid industrial growth with little to no pollution controls and a massive expansion of the number of vehicles on the road that burn nearly unrefined fuel, not a few cars in the US running high quality gasoline with catless exhausts.

Step down off the high horse, please.

you are definitely not a environmental engineer...because I am, and that whole thing you wrote is stupid

Why pollute if you don't have to?

http://www.gesi.us/

Vibrant carries it.

Saying, "O, it's just a small percentage that pollute." is exactly why we are killing our planet. Trying to deny that we are having a negative impact on the planet is also dumb.

Edited by mwiener2

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons