LegacyGT.com

the worst in factory tires?

eljay

hello, this is my first post to this board. i have a good education but i choose not to do caps on the internet--just a quirk. please bear with me if you don't like my posting style.

snooping around on the "tire rack" website this a.m. and saw from reviews that the bridgestone potenza re92 tires that came with my 2005 gt ltd (auto) are viewed as pure crap.

what tires do y'all suggest when replacement time comes? i'm a spirited, but not aggressive, driver and i do a lot of interstate. no autocrossing, no drifting, etc.

many thanks in advance for your input. eljay in fort collins, co

i'm way out of my depth . . .

"The worst in factory tires"?

I can assure you that's absolutely not the case. Walk into any Ford, GM, Toyota, Hyundai or Honda dealership, and I can assure you the rubber they surround their Mom and Pop boxes in is much less capable then our RE92's.

People want more out of the car then it was ever designed for. We are the minority. The population of owners here represents such a small part of the overall customer base of the car that our expectations couldn't matter less to the SoA management and product development teams.

For a car that's meant to compete with the Camry, the put much more performance into the car than it really had any right to have in the first place.

The tyres are fine. It's the expectations of their owners that's a little off.

Getting new tires should be the first "mod." The RE92's while fine in daily normal driving in mostly dry weather, they really suck in all season weather. Seeing that you live in CO, you will see first hand how poorly they grip in the cold, wet, snow.

uhh...here we go again.

IF you think it isnt the tires smart guy, look on tire rack where people who have all types of cars with varying levels of power have completely slammed the RE-92s.

I replaced my RE-92s with contiextreme contacts which are better tires all around, but more importantly in wet and winter conditions . You live in florida, chances are you arent encountering much ice and snow.

They, like the re92s are UHP A/S tires. So I am not expecting too much out of them but i was with the RE-92s? :rolleyes:

To the OP, there are various opinions on this, however what most wont dispute is that the RE92s while decent in dry, suck ass in A/S conditions.

Reading is fundamental.

You're right. For driving to and from work like you're on the Autocross circuit, the tyres are terrible.

If you are driving like the car was designed to be driven, and in accordance to who it was marketed towards in the first place, the tyres are competent, composed and handle exceptionally well compared to *WHAT COMES ON OTHER CARS IN THE SEGMENT*

I never said they were the be-all, end-all tyres. But by the very subject of this tread, they are absolutely *NOT "THE WORST IN FACTORY TIRES"*

Far from it, in fact. I have a feeling guys who drive CTS-V's are much more annoyed with their factory tyres. At least ours don't produce profound wheel hop.

Smart guy :rolleyes:

I just got General exclaim UHP in 225/35/19. They have a very smooth ride and great grip, a 380 treadwear and only $111 ea. They have the highest rate of all UHP tires on Tirerack.com.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

you may want to look in to geting a set of winter and summer tires. Up in CO you will need a tire that is good in the snow and most A/S tires that suit the car are good in dry, but are piss poor in the snow. The RE92 is good in dry and it absolutly sucks in the snow and never left me stuck too badly that I couldnt get out.

If you are going to go with 1 set of tires year round then I would sugest the Nokian WR. They exceeded all my expectations in dry, wet, and snow. They are no high performance summer tire in the dry but they are grippy. Wet weather they out perform the RE92, they are also good in mud too, end of ski season is not a problem :). Of corse it is great in snow and thats what you really need.

what tires do y'all suggest when replacement time comes? i'm a spirited, but not aggressive, driver and i do a lot of interstate. no autocrossing, no drifting, etc.

many thanks in advance for your input. eljay in fort collins, co

Location is definitely a good place to start. :) And you've definitely informed us a bit of your driving needs, which is also excellent. :)

But what you've failed to also mention is what type of tire you're looking for (including budget concerns). Are you looking for some summer-only, ultra-high performance tires? Or are you looking for all-seasons? Winter bias?

Those are other important questions - let us know, and we'll all be better able to help. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

There are other threads which have addressed this issue. But, to answer your question: I just went through this situation as my OEM RE92As were gone at 25K miles; and I vote "thumbs-down" on them. For replacement I settled on Kumho ECSTA(?) ASX at a net cost of $70 from TireRack. They are 420-AA-A W-rated M+S tires. Check out the reviews of this & other tires at TireRack.com.

I also think the re92's are fine... however I won't drive with them in the winter. They work ok for spring, summer and fall but not winter. They're called all-seasons, but with the wear level that they have, the rubber is too soft and the tread pattern too tight to work well in snow.

I have Blizzacks for winter driving and just ordered 235 S-02's from tirerack for summer / track tires (fyi, these are on sale for phenominal prices currently as they're being phased out).

i saw the Bridgestone Re960AS Pole Position tires on the Tire Rack website yesterday a.m. i've always had good experiences with bridgestone tires and think i might look into a set of them when the re92s need to be replaced.
i'm way out of my depth . . .

I hear the new Bridgestone Re960AS Pole Position is a very goog A/S tire. W rated.

I have been researching this tire. I have seen TireRack.com sales reps on boards stating this is one of the best ultra high perfomance tire they sell. Pricey but I like Bridgestone products except for the RE92's. (three time owner OEM :( Civic>WRX>LGT)

I also have had very good experience with Bridgestone tires. I replaced the RE92s on my '90 and '04 Legacys with RE950s. I will replace the RE92s on my '06 LGT with the RE960AS Pole Positions when they wear out. Anybody know how many miles you get out of the RE92s with a Z-rating. I have almost 14K on my LGT and they still good.

One thing to think about...when I had to replace the RE92s on my '04 Legacy I bargained with my dealer to get the RE950s at the Tire Rack Price + tax and install fee. I then used my Subaru Bucks to pay for the whole thing. Subaru bucks are great. I paid for the tires and the 30K service on my '04 with them. CHARGE IT!!! I always say. Of course I pay it off every month.

i had about 25k on mine when they came off my car and they were still good. The guy at the shop asked me if i had the car on a track because the outside had some excessive wear on it. I said no I drive pretty hard and he sugested an alignment and the tech was lik no the alignment is fine he just corners hard. :lol:

As mentioned the tires meet 90% of legacy GT owners expectations.

We are the other 10% searching for more out of our sports sedans. We are also the only type that bother giving feedback to a site like tire rack.

I have driven my gt in all 4 seasons, and they were not very good in the snow, but we get it pretty good in upstate NY.

If you don't drive in snow - I say run them until they are gone then upgrade.

Archived