LegacyGT.com

Spec B on the dyno or at the track

So..based on this thread..

http://legacygt.com/forums/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt/40332-d-sport-magazine-issue.html?highlight=Spec+article

I began to wonder if anyone else has ever dyno'd their Spec B (stock or otherwise) or if they have run thier's at the track.

I mean, I love my Spec B, but it seems odd that R&T came up with a 0-60 time of 5.1 and a 1/4 mile time of 13.7 , but most folks are running mid to low 14's with stock GT's. Just doesn't make sense for the heavier Spec to do so well..

Now, I know that the Dsport mag may have an optomistic Dyno and that R&T probably beat the crap out of their Spec B to manage 13.7 1/4 mile run, but I am just curious if anyone on the forum has some dyno or 1/4 mile numbers on the Spec B.

Tires, and dont forget the stiffer suspension, the front lifting on hard accel is terrible with the stock springs, plus aggressive launch and voila.

Im pretty sure teh spec B should end up dynoing the same as the reg LGT. Its the other bits that make the difference, the stock GT is a little overpowered for the suspension and tires.

Also remeber that autoweek got 0-60 5.23 and 1/4 in 13.9 for the stock LGT.

Do you think Subaru might have had a reflash done on the car before handing it over for testing?

Technically the car would still be stock. :lol:

It wouldnt really be stock as the reflash doesnt come stock. That said you never know.

Its seems more likely tho that its just a case of a stiffer setup, better tires, and guys beating the hell outta the car..

• 2 weeks later...

Datalogs from my stock spec B show that boost tops out around 13.5 lbs , with boost tapering & ignition timing looking pretty much identical to a LGT Limited.

I'm pretty confident there's no special Spec B factory tune.

Any advantage seems to come from tires and suspension. And there's the theory that the 18" wheels are actually beneficial to the gearing.

I'm not 100% positive, but aren't pieces of the spec b's suspension aluminum where in GT's they're not, such as the control arms? This helps reduce the unsprung weight which can make more of a difference than the overall weight numbers between the spec b and the gt.

That may account for some of it too.

I'm not 100% positive, but aren't pieces of the spec b's suspension aluminum where in GT's they're not, such as the control arms? This helps reduce the unsprung weight which can make more of a difference than the overall weight numbers between the spec b and the gt.

That could, however the Spec. B (both 2006 and 2007) have curb weights listed higher than GT's of the same year.

R & T has professional drivers who have lots of experience on with many different vehicles to get the quickiest times out of car. Also they have no mercy on the vehicle as its just a loaner for testing purposes. Also what were the track conditions(temperature, elevation) the day the test was performed? This is can account for the difference.

^so true.....nothing like those 5k launches......

Maybe it was just one of those rare factory freaks.....:lol::lol::lol:

Its possible, but with the stock suspension the nose lifts and dives like nobodys business, im sure that accounts for a tenth or two. Springs alone cuts that down big time.

Not too sure wieght accounts for too much of it since the Spec has the Navi and the bigger (heavier) wheels.. It definatley is a result of the better tires and stiffer suspension..overall. But man I wish i had an extra 10 hp!

R & T has professional drivers who have lots of experience on with many different vehicles to get the quickiest times out of car. Also they have no mercy on the vehicle as its just a loaner for testing purposes. Also what were the track conditions(temperature, elevation) the day the test was performed? This is can account for the difference.

If I'm not mistaken, ambient temperature during that run was 85°F... Imagine what they could have done in 60° air!!

Not sure on elevation, I think that test was performed in California, so probably not too high.

Archived