LegacyGT.com

Mungewell's LGT Wagon

It arrived!!! Albeit 24hrs after I turned up at the haulage firm to collect it :mad:, my 'new' 05 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon 5 speed manual in pearl red.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8145560579_374a9ac4c2_n.jpg

Drove it 280miles back home without incident, although I was being very gentle on the pedals (3000rpm/70mph gave 28.4mpg). It started life in PA, but is now enjoying the cool mountain air of Southern Alberta.

Going to get under the hood this weekend to change oil and give it a good inspection. Hopefully nothing frightening is found. With 133K on the clock is there anything particular I should look for (it had new turbo and timing belt at 98K)?

I feel like a kid at Christmas :)

Simon.

Congratulations and welcome to a small but dedicated 5MT wagon crowd. Nice red pearl! Unless you know it was done recently, I would recommend a transmission flush and refill with Extra S which can help with shifting and reduced gear whine.

Ooh, nice Max. That's longer than me. Bought mine in August '04. Build date of 06/04. Any idea what your build date is?

Edit: 1 of 99 (5MT tan interior) ;)

OP, also check to see that the uppipe has been swapped out. If not, you may want to take care of that. There is a cat in the up that has the potential to come apart and grenade the turbo. Welcome to LGT.com!

It arrived!!! Albeit 24hrs after I turned up at the haulage firm to collect it :mad:, my 'new' 05 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon 5 speed manual in pearl red.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/8145560579_374a9ac4c2_n.jpg

Drove it 280miles back home without incident, although I was being very gentle on the pedals (3000rpm/70mph gave 28.4mpg). It started life in PA, but is now enjoying the cool mountain air of Southern Alberta.

Going to get under the hood this weekend to change oil and give it a good inspection. Hopefully nothing frightening is found. With 133K on the clock is there anything particular I should look for (it had new turbo and timing belt at 98K)?

I feel like a kid at Christmas :)

Simon.

Welcome. +1 for checking the banjo bolt and keeping that oil topped off at all time.

I think 28.4 mpg @ 133k, that's pretty impressive.

I have never reached such good mpg :(. Highest ever was 26.7 mpg on a 90 mile drive @ 65 mph.

As I understand it being on slight boost is better than off boost, plus it's pretty flat driving north from Great Falls. MPG dropped off a little once I got to Lethbridge and into the mountains. Did you reset the trip odometer (think this also reset the average mpg)?

I'll plan to pull the banjo bolts, but think I might keep the filters in them for one more oil change - don't want any unsettled gunk getting into the turbo.

Also contemplating a compression test... if I can pick up a gauge cheap.

PS. If anyone here's in Calgary area, do you want to get together to do some tuning stuff. A few people at the ProtoSpace.ca hacker space might be up for some fun.

Did some work on it yesterday, generally I think it's OK... hooked up RomRaider to grab a quick log (whilst parked), see attached.

This appears to show that the variable valve timing is working OK (ie. not clogged) and that the turbo can build boost when needed. I'll grab some more whilst driving - but technically I need to get the car inspected before I can register it. No spare money for unnecessary tickets...;)

Currently 133K on clock, still has cat'ed up pipe. I noticed a few 'issues'...

• No heat shield on turbo - isn't mentioned in the service manual so perhaps the early builds didn't have this.
  • Torn front right inner CV boot - pulled drive shaft to repair and got a surprise of oil leaking from gear box (Forester doesn't do this), guess this is normal. Is it necessary to replace seal?
  • Both front LCA rear bushing cracked - pulled arms to press out and replace, I gather the WRX ones fit and are more rigid.
  • Sump has previously been removed (liquid gasket oozing out) - presumably when turbo was replaced @ 98K.
  • The gearbox drain plug appears to have been leaking and oil level was a little low. Should this have a crush washer?
  • There's a fair bit of oil mess on the turbo oil exit pipe, where it transitions pipe/rubber/pipe. Will clean up and investigate further.

Full set of photos here:

[ame=http://www.flickr.com/photos/24244464@N03/sets/72157631927216266/]20121103_legacy - a set on Flickr[/ame]

Finally this appeared at some point when I was working on the front right LCA, anyone know where it's from?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8066/8154406205_5e74f3d4a8_m.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8154433136_980daed6a6_m.jpg

Cheers,

Simon.

romraiderlog_legacystatic_20121103_142840.csv

Have you seen the Learning View application yet? There's a thread about it on the RomRaider forums. Gives you a nice quick look at some useful tables including overall IAM to give you a quick shot of engine health based on timing being pulled.

I had a heatshield on my turbo (06/04 build date ... early). Most likely scenario is that somebody removed it at some point and didn't replace it. You can can aftermarket ones or get an oem replacement. When I went stage ii, I did a PTP turbo blanket and a Grimmspeed turbo heatshield.

Passenger side torn cv joint boot is relatively common on these cars. Probably the heat coming off the downpipe causing the rubber to degrade early. From what I understand, a little gear oil coming out when you pull the axle is normal. I don't *think* you should need to replace the seal. Just top off after replacing cv joint boot. Might be a good time to upgrade gear oil to extra s (Subaru's "good" gear oil ... search here for more details).

Those pictures are a little out of context, but the one on the right looks like the backside of a center cap for your wheel. Got all your center caps in?

i had a heatshield on my turbo (06/04 build date ... Early). Most likely scenario is that somebody removed it at some point and didn't replace it.

^+1.

passenger side torn cv joint boot is relatively common on these cars. Probably the heat coming off the downpipe causing the rubber to degrade early.

^+1.

from what i understand, a little gear oil coming out when you pull the axle is normal. I don't *think* you should need to replace the seal. Just top off after replacing cv joint boot.

^+1.

Congrats, welcome to the forum. Looks like you found yourself a nice peice.

Most of the things you have come up with are very common on these cars.

Does look like you have slight intake leak, I would check TGV area for leaks.

That little peice looks like a floor pan plug, maybe fell out while you were fishing around near LCA

Thanks for the comments/compliments on the car. I'm yet to drive it 'properly', but so far I'm very happy with it... looks like this at the moment thought ;)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7122/8158016312_e521439cda_n.jpg

The round plastic plug was from the LCA itself, there's a little inspection hole on the underside.

I was going to write a long rant about the plugs, but I think the forum has that covered already. Managed to get all coil packs out and the front plugs (1 & 2) - a cold compression test show 1=105psi and 2=100psi, can't imagine doing that 'hot' would be a real PITA. I think I can get the rears out with a slightly shorter extension, but ran out of time yesterday.

Pads and rotors look good, but after working on the fronts the pads on the rear look tiny....

Seems to be a oil leak in the power steering, although not sure where. I'll have to give it a good washing and see if any more gunk appears. Resevior level looked OK.

TVG?? I'll plan to do a pressure test once it's all back together. 'Might Car Mods' FTW:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atretf9u-Mc&feature=plcp]Boost Leak Tester DIY - YouTube[/ame]

PS. I'm aware of the Learning View application, however I'm a Linux freak and there doesn't appear to be a equivilant - although it noted that you can get the value for the current rpm/load cell and build up the table by hand.

• 4 months later...

Well call me lazy if you like, but I've only just got around to getting the 'Out of Province' done... passed with some minor comments. Life just got in the way, what with travel for work and Ski-season taking a healthy chunk of my time.

Time to put a plate on it and have some fun. :)

Well call me lazy if you like, but I've only just got around to getting the 'Out of Province' done... passed with some minor comments. Life just got in the way, what with travel for work and Ski-season taking a healthy chunk of my time.

Time to put a plate on it and have some fun. :)

I know what you mean about ski season getting in the way. But some things are more important then the car.

I'll be back on skis in about 90 minutes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived