LegacyGT.com

Factory subwoofer purchased and installed (2005 LGT)

Adoniram

(For a quick how-to, see the next post.)

Since buying my LGT earlier this year, I've been thrilled with it overall, but I always wanted a little more bump in the base... I've read mixed reviews on the factory subwoofer so I wasn't too sure, but I took the plunge after receiving a $250 payment for "pain and inconvenience" after being rear-ended a few weeks ago. (that's a story for another day, but the company just straight offered it to me... so hey, yeah, I'll take it!)

So I bought the kit online from a Subaru dealer that gives 25% off all online purchases (Heuberger motors) and this is what arrived:

Subwoofer, mounting bracket, wiring harness, 2 screws with washers, a pad to keep the mounting bracket from vibrating against the speaker box, and very detailed instructions. I even read them!! :eek:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/academyracer/DSC00361.jpg

Installation took me about an hour and that was in the parking lot of my apartment complex. I would highly recommend this purchase to anyone looking to get more bump. It's completely put out of the way, you don't lose any trunk space, it's cheaper than any other low-profile sub solution you buy/attempt, and with a much higher build quality.

As far as the sound and power goes, I waited to mount it until after I heard it so I could easily adjust the dials on the front. With the gain turned down, it was almost like it wasn't there. With the gain turned all the way up..... Dang. I don't turn the bass setting (on the stereo) past 0. Yes, 0. You are literally sitting on top of the sub, so you're getting the full benefit of its sound, and honestly it's not weak at all. I was expecting some mild thrumming and slightly stronger lows, but this definitely makes a shake.

OBVIOUSLY this is not going to be your kicker 12" sub, but those things aren't meant for audio quality anyway. They're meant to completely drown out everything else in your car and give you a headache. If that's what you want, don't buy the factory sub. If you want good bass, a more well-rounded sound, and even some strong vibrations coming straight at you, this is definitely for you. Personally, I couldn't be happier :)

Edited by Adoniram

The instructions that came with the sub were very detailed. This won't be, but it'll get you through it.

Tools:

Ratchet

10mm and 14mm sockets

long extension

Torque wrench (for tightening the seat bolts)

Phillips and flat head screw drivers

Pliers (maybe)

Steps:

1. Set parking brake

2. Open armrest console and remove the 2 bolts holding it down (all the way in the bottom)

3. Slide the entire console away from the forward console (the one with the shifter)

4. Sliding the seat as necessary, remove the 4 bolts holding the seat down

5. Probably a good idea to disconnect the battery now

6. I have an auto, so I had to remove the silver bezel around the shifter (came out really easily)

7. Move shifter to neutral, and remove the entire plastic piece around the stick

8. Unscrew 2 screws that were just exposed to the rear of the shifter, holding the long skinny trim pieces down (the ones that flank the stereo and HVAC)

9. At this point, the instructions say to remove the 6 screws that hold the stereo in place. I found this completely unnecessary, so don't bother

10. Remove the lower dash in the passenger's footwell. It's black and held on by 3 plugs

11. Remove the right side of the center console

12. Reach behind the stereo, feel for the wire plugged into the bottom passenger side of the unit

13. Pull that plug out, plug in the new wire you got, and plug the old wire into the back of the new wire (see picture)

14. Screw the ground wire to any available metal screw that is GROUNDED

15. Run the wire you just plugged in down the center. I ran it on the passenger side of the shifter, then once behind the shifter, immediately across and down under the carpet on the driver's side. Getting the plug from the console area into the carpet under the driver's seat was a huge PITA but it's possible. Just takes some finagling with the seat, the carpet, etc.

16. Reinstall the dash pieces, trim, console, etc. It can all go back now.

17. Reconnect the battery

18. Mount the bracket to the subwoofer by placing it on the raised squares that are away from the plug. There are pin holes to help you align it. Make sure you put the foam pad between the speaker and the bracket.

19. Put seat back into original position, securing all but the back-right bolt (you'll later mount the speaker here)

20. Plug in the sub, turn on the stereo, and adjust the sub as desired.

21. When you're happy, slide the sub under the seat and put the bracket between the bolt and the seat rail. Tighten bolt.

22. Enjoy.

Edited by Adoniram

• 2 weeks later...

Stock upgrade option. All LGT's come with speakers but the sub is an add-on accessory.

Ahhh, I see. I saw that you were talking about wires in one step and thought you had posted pics of you piecing them together in car. Thanks! :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

A significant amount. Personally, I think it's well worth the money

Yes, another vote for WORTH IT. It makes the sucky stock stereo system sounds WAY more complete.

It doesnt bump like a normal 12" sub in its own enclosure, but for not taking up ANY space, it rocks.

• 2 months later...

Quick question, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Think it would be possible to install this sub in a different car?

The fiance has a civic that needs some help with bass, but just a little....

I had one in my LGT, but I sold the car :( And I don't remember if the sub was internally amplified, had connections I could figure out, etc.

NEVER ARGUE WITH A STUPID PERSON.

THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL, THEN BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The sub is indeed internally amplified. Making it work in another car would be interesting to see, but with a good wiring diagram, I'm sure it's possible.

This is how the sub is connected: The head unit has 1 large plug where the sub wiring harness connects. The harness basically is a "Y" where one long end goes to the sub, and the short end connects to the rest of the speakers (see picture above). On a non-sub model, those speaker wires would plug straight into the back of the head unit instead of the sub wiring harness. So figuring out which wire is the signal wire, the power wire, the ground wire, etc etc etc would be all that is required to make it work in another car. Theoretically, you could splice into the wires on any head unit this way, unless there's some kind of special sub-woofer control that's built into the Subaru head unit which sends important data or signals to the woofer, apart from the music itself.

Does this have to go under the drivers side seat or the passenger? I have the factory nav and the cdrom for it is under the drivers side.

Dan

It'll go under the passenger seat, but you'll have to bend the mounting bracket to fit it. I ended up drilling new mounting holes into the bracket so it would fit with the WeatherTech mats I had in the rear.

Yes, you can definitely install that sub in another make/model/year -- any HU that has speaker-level outputs. The sub does have it's own built-in amp. See more info here.

Around 2009 Subaru started offering several other variations (still self-powered, but some that use a balanced line-level input).

I have mine under the passenger seat (girls like it ;) ) but i was thinking about getting one for under the driver seat as well to give it a lil more, not that it needs it, 1 is sufficient enough for most. I just have never had a subwoofer in any of my vehicles since the Legacy so kinda want to experiment without taking up space

• 9 years later...