LegacyGT.com

Exhaust Headers with a Bung

richip

I recently purchased a set of equal length headers (formerly installed on a WRX) and plan to install it in my LGT. It has a bung near the turbo outlet which I figure is for an EGT sensor.

As I understand it, without the stock cat, putting back the stock EGT sensor will just result in CELs. Also, EGTs without a cat between it and the turbo is just potential trouble. I'm planning to do the resistor fix, but I'm wondering what to do with the bung. Do I plug it up with a bolt? If so, what size and thread? Should I put in an EGT? Would that be of any use when tuning the car?

If there is only one hole it should be for the O2 sensor. I would not put in the EGT sensor if you have a bung for it as I don't trust it.
I have an APS EL header on my car and it has a bung near the turbo that is meant for the O2 sensor. Without that O2 sensor your car will not work. There are also bungs on each pipe next to the heads for EGT sensors. However, the EGT and O2 sensors cannot be mixed up as they are very different in size.

It has a bung near the turbo outlet which I figure is for an EGT sensor.

Turbo inlet. Yes just plug it with a bolt. My local hardware store has a automotive drain plug section / drawer... and I found a stubby flange-style bolt there. It was like M10 or M12 fine thread (1.25 pitch).

That close to the engine, I thought it was for the EGT sensor. Thanks for the tips. I'll just plug it up. I plan on putting a wideband O2 sensor in the TDC catted downpipe (I'm assuming they'll place the O2 sensor bung before the cat).

I'm new to all of this myself, but, as I understand it, a wideband O2 sensor will be useful for manual Engine Management Systems tuning. I bought a UTEC and am planning to learn to tune the car myself.

I'm trying to put the O2 sensor as far back in the exhaust system as possible from the engine to give the gases time to cool down a bit, but I'm supposed to put it before the catalytic converter (which messes up readings for tuning purposes).

I should mention that the reason I went with the TurboXS UTEC was because I could use it with a Linux laptop/carputer.

I'm new to all of this myself, but, as I understand it, a wideband O2 sensor will be useful for manual Engine Management Systems tuning. I bought a UTEC and am planning to learn to tune the car myself.

I'm trying to put the O2 sensor as far back in the exhaust system as possible from the engine to give the gases time to cool down a bit, but I'm supposed to put it before the catalytic converter (which messes up readings for tuning purposes).

Take a look at cobbs DP, the bung for the WB 02 is literally 3 inches behind the turbo, I wouldn't worry too much about things being to warm or having to cool a bit.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

You wasted money if your going to do it yourself. There are free/open source tools to tune your car. all you need is an $80 cable (the cobb ap cable wont work).

Sorry dont mean to come off as an ass. :lol:

You wasted money if your going to do it yourself. There are free/open source tools to tune your car. all you need is an $80 cable (the cobb ap cable wont work).

Sorry dont mean to come off as an ass. :lol:

Not at all. In fact, I DO have a USB-OBD2 cable. Originally I was hopeful that the openecu project would help me get there. After following the development there for months and not getting anywhere for the Legacy (they were mostly WRX and, recently, EVO people), I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a UTEC. So now I have two options, with one being less experimental than the other. With a car this expensive, I feel more confident working with the UTEC first then checking out programming the ECU directly.

I am not aware of the current state of ECU programming using open source tools. I'm actually a Linux software developer so I know the value of collaboration and DIY. Unfortunately as I mentioned, back when I first checked out openecu.org, I wasn't really getting a lot of help.

Not at all. In fact, I DO have a USB-OBD2 cable. Originally I was hopeful that the openecu project would help me get there. After following the development there for months and not getting anywhere for the Legacy (they were mostly WRX and, recently, EVO people), I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a UTEC. So now I have two options, with one being less experimental than the other. With a car this expensive, I feel more confident working with the UTEC first then checking out programming the ECU directly.

I am not aware of the current state of ECU programming using open source tools. I'm actually a Linux software developer so I know the value of collaboration and DIY. Unfortunately as I mentioned, back when I first checked out openecu.org, I wasn't really getting a lot of help.

oh yea check out enginuity.org ... openecu.org is getting close to dead and its spammer heaven....

they are so far as to an impending release that allows real time tuning, map switching (using your interior dash buttons :D ) and stationary rev limiter :spin:

but yea, the enginuity software has pretty much everything covered, and is as powerful as the stock ecu's limits....

Archived